“Very bad customer service - Not good for beginners”

Sea-Urchin Diving Center
Reviewed 19 October 2017 via mobile

Hi,

I have to say this the very first negative review I write.

I followed a beginner's course along with two English-Speaking people. Since our instructor did not speak English (only French), I had to translate everything for the two other guests. I wasn't too impressed, but didn't mind it at first. We all have to start somewhere.

After, we went in the lagoon and the instructor didn't explain anything out of the water before doing the exercises. We had to do all the exercises many times because we were confused and the visibility was bad. We could barely see what the instructor was demonstrating underwater. Also, my second air device starting leaking air at the end and the employee of the centre who was there to pick up our equipment did not really know how to fix it. We were also pretty cold because we were given wetsuits that were too thin. If it was only for that I would not have written a review. Still, it wasn't a perfect start.

Then came the diving. I was very excited to go. I went in the water and everything was okay until I realized my boyfriend was not there. Obviously, I asked to go back up (we had literally just arrived at the bottom of the water and it was very shallow) to see if he was in the boat and to make sure that he was okay. I believe my reaction was far from abnormal. I knew something was not right as he had done many dives before.

When in the water, I had to ask at least five times to go back up to go check on my boyfriend. I even got attitude from both instructors under water (completely unnecessary) who were basically telling me to continue the dive. When I finally arrived back at the surface, the instructor who accompanied me got mad at me and told that he had tried to tell me that my boyfriend was ok while underwater. He was clearly mad not to dive and didn't care about my boyfriend. I mean, underwater communication is limited and it is not like I rushed back to the surface in a panic: I followed the instructor and just wanted to make sure my boyfriend was alright.

Since the instructor was not qualified enough to accompany me back down, I had to remain in the boat for the rest of the dive. We could see very clearly the other divers at that moment.

Even though we did not dive, they made us pay 1200 and 1500 roupies for both of us. The instructor told me that we should normally have paid the full price and that it was my decision to come back up. She was arrogant when I asked if we still had to pay. She said "Of course you have to pay" Needless to say this is really bad customer service. You cannot be rude when your customers ask such questions: you should at least show empathy and pretend to be sorry that they have to pay - bare minimum. I didn't mind paying something for my beginner's lesson (which wasn't good at all to be honest), but 1500 Rs is exaggerated.

I am overall very disappointed. If you are a beginner and don't feel secure, don't go there. I am sure they have other competent staff, but I was unlucky in that regard.

I promise I am telling the truth.

Reviewed 1 July 2017 via mobile

We thoroughly enjoyed our experience with Sea Urchin Diving Centre. They were responsive to our email requests, the dives were good value and the diving centre staff were all very friendly. "The Aquarium" dive site was probably the best of the three dives that we did

Reviewed 1 July 2017 via mobile

Here we completed our PADI Advanced Open Water Diver and have seen many fishes and a turtle at the same time. The staff always guided us very well and was incredible kind.

Reviewed 28 June 2017 via mobile

We have dived with sea-urchin in Mauritius after a year break. We were a little nervous at first, But they were so friendly and kind from the beginning to end. The owner is also welcoming, and outgoing..
At first we did a refreshment with our dive guide and she was encouraging and very supportive. Explained everything clearly.. after that me and my wife felt safe and confident before we go safari diving. The dive went very well and enjoyed a lot. They are professional, friendly and also very polite people. We are completely satisfied with the service they provided. I recommend everyone to dive with sea-urchin who is staying west of island.

Reviewed 17 June 2017 via mobile

Sea-Urchin is a good dive center. The gear is pretty well maintained, the boat is well maintained and all dive spots are near.

You get geared up at the shop and walk in your wetsuit, carrying your bag with your other gear, to the nearby beach. About a five minute walk, tanks are brought there by car.

We had two dives with Eduardo and one with Lucille as our dive masters, and they are *the best*! Very friendly, interested, very thorough briefing and making sure everything is in order. The people you would want at every dive center. :-)

Some others left reviews about Katharina, the owner. Yes she's snappy, and she runs a tight ship. However she also makes sure everything goes as it should. She just shouldn't scold and belittle her staff in front of the customers. Although they appear to be used to it and wisely just let it go. :-)

1  Thank JZuiver