Palais des Remparts
US$113
Riad Zahra(Essaouira)(Great Value!)
US$57
Hotels.com
Dar Al Bahar(Essaouira)(Great Value!)
US$43
Villa Gonatouki(Ghazoua)(Great Value!)
US$71
All reviewsroof terraceannual festivalexcellent locationupgraded to a suitebreakfast is servedblue skyan updatethe main squarewonderful roomhuge bathwatch the sunsetcentral courtyardcomfortable bedlovely riadsound of the wavesrooms are largethe ground floor
Reviewed March 2, 2012

Perfectly located hotel. Great terrasse with a view on the ocean and the island of Mogador, the remparts and the old city. The personnel is good. Rooms are comfortable and in the winter they bring you a heater for the rooms. The patio is very comfortable and they serve a nice breakfast on the terrasse outside in the morning.

Room Tip: The suites are very nice big. On the top floor there are two rooms with views of the ocean outstanding, try to get them if you can
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed February 5, 2012

I absolutely love the Palais des Remparts. I stayed here in the late 1980's when it was just the Hotel des Remparts, a very simple inexpensive place that even a Peace Corps volunteer (as I was then) could afford. Wow, what a transformation! It was totally re-done in 2010, which is great to see since it's a historic property, nearly 100 years old (according to the staff). Although the exterior on the street looks exactly the same -- I have the photos to prove it -- all I recognized of the interior were the main bones of the building, the multistory courtyard patio and the roof patio where the laundry used to hang.

The place is spectacular today with lots of traditional Moroccan touches, very colorful decor, yet not over-the-top with that fake fantasy Arabian Nights vibe that some of the new riads have adopted. It's got a fairly restrained elegance to it. The bathrooms are great, huge deep tiled tubs. The things that really stands out is the rooftop terrace -- my friends and I rushed up every morning for sunrise and every evening at sunset. It was the best thing about our 4 days in Essaouira, to sit on that terrace with coffee or wine and just watch the colors change in the sky and water. There's a good breakfast with a variety of Moroccan breads and cakes, orange juice and coffee, etc.

The staff is extremely warm and friendly. We happened to be there over Aid el Kebir when there were few other guests, so were really treated like queens with everyone fussing over us (in a good way!)

Because there weren't many people, the doors and windows to the rooms were open so we were able to walk around the hotel and get a good look at the various suites. They are individually decorated, different sizes, some with fireplaces. Our room had the living salon and bathroom downstairs, with an open staircase leading to an upstairs loft with the 2 huge beds. We could see/hear the ocean from the upstairs bed by the window.

I would love to stay in the Palais des Remparts again. It's the kind of place I could imagine staying at for weeks on end. It's really quite good value, especially for a prime location with ocean view in the medina. We negotiated a discount due to the holiday and paid only 800 dirhams ($100) per night for 3 of us. including breakfast. (We did not have a reservation; we just showed up and since there were few tourists, we could drive a hard bargain. At other times of the year, you would not have this option.) The only negative I can think of is that the WiFi signal is weak inside the rooms, due to the thick walls, but it's fine if you sit on the benches in the halls along the open patio courtyard. It's truly a magical place.

Room Tip: Ask if you can look around the place first. Each room has a unique decor, they are shaped differently, some have rooms to the exterior street, some have views of the water, etc.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Lisa H
Reviewed January 2, 2012

Excellent location, easy to find in the Riad, very comfortable walking around at night in this town and finding the hotel. More of a hotel than a Riad, it is not as intimate as other places we stayed in Morocco. The view from the terrace is stunning, could not be many better in Essaouira - breakfast on the terrace, tea in the afternoon and and the sunset were all beautiful. The rooms were very comfortable, although not 'luxury' as reflected in the name of the riad (no air con / heating, no safe or bar fridge - although this is not at all unusual in Morocco). The staff deserve special recognition, as they were extremely friendly and helpful, particularly when my husband was ill - they helped find food and drink and made sure we were comfortable at all times. Breakfast not wonderful, but there are plenty of cheap places that are easy to find outside if you want something different. Not much to fault at this hotel overall - although if you are expecting true luxury this is probably not the place, but this is reflected in the very reasonable prices of the rooms for the good quality you do get. Pay a bit extra for the sea views (we did not and regretted it) as they are stunning. A very relaxing break and very different from other larger medinas in Morocco - a great break and a very good hotel for the price.

Room Tip: Request a room on third floor or above - we noted that other reviews have noted a musty / damp smell in some rooms, we did notice a faint smell when walking down the stairs past the lower floors but did not notice any damp on the third floor. We wish we had paid more for the sea view rooms as the view from the terrace is stunning and very relaxing.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank GBstravels
Reviewed October 5, 2011

Nice location, near the south west city wall and so the beach. Quietish although a barking dog last night and the call to prayer can interrupt. Friendly staff and nice clean room. Lovely roof terrace overlooking the sea and medina. Tasty breakfast. We didn't eat in but those that did looked happy (alcohol available). We were upgraded from a basic double to a lovely suite (I think they were quiet) which was a lovely blessing. Highly recommend.

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed May 27, 2011

Booked this hotel esp for my Dad who is disabled and walks with great diffculty, we stayed in a cheaper riad, maison de sud - very good_ and put my dad in Palais as it had a lift. After reading previous reviews about smells and damp and staff i was nervous but I found all the staff to be extremly helpful as is usual in most places in Morrocco. The staff were lovely and the room did smell damp but it wasnt a sort of british mouldy room damp more a usual seaside damp smell and more imp there were no actual signs of damp or mould at all. The room was extrem;ly large and spacious. It was unfortuante the restaurant seemed to be out of action when my dad was there and we werent told about that but we ate out most nights anway and the life broke day for a day and a half.

My only critism was that as the lift did break which meant one afternoon when my dad wanted to read on the lovely roof terrace or take breakfast there the next day, AND walking up and down two large flights of stairs to room caused him imense strain and discomfort I was saddened that they didnt take at least £50 off the bill for him, as it affected him due to his disabilty. I cuold understand a little more had he been able bodied but he is not. That was my only gripe in other wise what we found to be a lovely hotel for the price.
We stayed at cheaper maison de sud and were very happy there.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family