“Beautiful place, food & wine!”
Review of La Fromagerie

La Fromagerie
Ranked #27 of 295 Restaurants in Essaouira
Price range: US$14 - US$23
Cuisines: Moroccan
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed June 27, 2018 via mobile

After reading some reviews about La Fromagerie we decided to give it a go and I’m so glad we did. We negotiated 40dh for a taxi to take us there (about 10-15 mins from the medina in essaouira) and the lovely staff called for one to pick us up and take us home for (following much negotiation) 50dh. There are three set menus to choose from however as it was lunch time my partner and I decided to just share the ‘tagine’ one for 190dh (~£15) and a lovely bottle of red wine (also 190dh). The grounds were STUNNING and we befriended a gorgeous little cat that joined us for our meal. The food was incredible. Each course included amazing cheese and even though we shared it was even too much food for us!! We had an amuse bouche, starter, goats cheese and pear salad (incredible), chicken and pear tagine and then a massive cheeseboard. One of my favourite days that I spent in essaouira and I couldn’t recommend it enough.

Reviewed June 3, 2018 via mobile

From the moment that we arrived at La Fromagerie, we were greeted by a warm welcome and “make yourself at home” from the host/owner Abderrazzak as well as Nayeema who looked after us during our blissful eatery experience. We opted to visit around 5 o’clock late lunch/early dinner and at this time the venue was quiet. Amongst the scenic beautiful grounds, we were served our set menu which was timed perfectly throughout each course given. From the amuse buche to the goats cheese tempura followed by a goats cheese fruit salad, tagine (veg/chicken) and dessert, our mind and taste senses were bursting with joy at how delightful each course was. Speaking to Nayeema and the amazing host about his experiences in between our meal, we could not fault our experience. We chose Moroccan red wine to accompany our meal and were not disappointed. Even got to see the goats and sheep on site being fed. Prices are very reasonable and for this experience we would not hesitate to return again. A must visit. They even have rooms you stay stay overnight including breakfast if you wish. Thank you La Formagerie and keep up the lovely work.

Reviewed May 15, 2018

Of ALL the restaurants in Essaouira, this is the best.
Gourmet cuisine made with basic food - and a great place with quiet atmosphere in the middle of nowhere.

1  Thank AlexanderPlath
Reviewed May 13, 2018

I must say, first, that I am a loyal customer of this lovely restaurant; I've lived in Morocco for about three years by now, and since I'm living in a town about one hour away from Essaouira, I normally stay in Essaouira during every weekend.
Every time, my first consideration for Saturday dining is always this beautiful place.

Normally the course consists of starter, salad, main dish and cheese board. I always try not to indulge too much in starter and salad, although they are so good and tempting, because the stlll-to-come main dish and cheese board are huge and too excellent; the cheese is home-made camel one and the food is very carefully cooked, authentic Moroccan one.

The price is very reasonable (course meal is from MAD 150 to 200), and you can relax here as long as you wish and enjoy the fantastic food and wine; you might chat, sing or even dance with other customers, sharing the good moments.

As this place is on the outskirts of Essaouira, you need to take a taxi (about 10 minutes from the medina) or drive yourself. The Owner, Mr Abdelrazak, can arrange a taxi for customers (both pick up and drop off) if needed. There are many good places near the medina, but if you miss visiting this place during your vacation in Essaouira, it is a real pity; although Essaouira is less touristic than Marrakech, it's a still touristic place. But here in La Fromagerie, you will have the true tranquil Moroccan food and wine moments.

Lastly, this restaurant has several rooms for residents - I very much enjoyed my last stay here. Having dinner and staying one night in this beautiful place is highly recommended.

Reviewed April 30, 2018

This is a charming restaurant outside of Essaouira, and we thoroughly enjoyed the excellent meal we had with their lovely salads and delicious goat cheeses. We had the restaurant to ourselves for much of the time. We dined under a grape arbor with a pleasant breeze blowing, a very agreeable setting. Everybody there was very hospitable.