All reviews old world charm oldest hotel colonial times in town excellent hotel hotel is centrally located shopping and restaurants flat screen tv other guests comfortable rooms reception staff cooked breakfast beautiful garden sea front within walking distance oysters german
Reviewed October 4, 2018

A beautiful hotel, in the middle of town. Rooms excellent, and the restaurant food excellent. I took the opportunity to have Kudu meat in my starter, and Springbok in my main. Good prices; few english, Most other diners were german. The menu is printed german and english down each side.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank John H
Reviewed October 2, 2018

We stayed here for two nights while traveling round Namibia
We really enjoyed the hotel.
We found it to be clean and comfortable, howver our room was not particularly special, the public areas of the hotel were great and The central garden area was gorgeous
We felt like we had stepped back to colonial times which was fun
The bar was great and we loved the restaurant and had great food and service

Date of stay: August 2018
Reviewed October 1, 2018 via mobile

Hansa hotel is well situated in the town making it easy to visit places of interest on foot. The accommodation is very well appointed and spacious, the menu in the restaurant has an excellent range and the selected dishes very tasty. Try the stuffed dates and the springbok loin. The bar is very comfortable and a good place to meet friends.

Reviewed September 5, 2018

We had 2 nights at the Hansa as part of our tour. Check in was very efficient with some welcome bubbles. The hotel is quite convenient for the shops, restaurants and beach/promenade; turn right out of the hotel and there's a Pick n Mix on the next corner, great for stocking up on snacks and drinks.

The room/s (we were given an interconnecting family room, had our choice of beds!) were comfortable. The one bathroom was very small; the balcony was surrounded by high walls and presumably we were at the back because we overlooked the car park. Whilst I can't vouch for the interior of the rooms around the courtyard, the views are much more attractive.

We only ate breakfast here. The buffet was quite extensive with breads, jams, cereals and cold selection. However, at no time were we told about nor offered a cooked breakfast from the kitchen; even after we'd sussed it was available after our first visit we had to guess what was available when asking for it. Anywhere else there would have been a menu on the table so it was very disappointing.

When I can I try to be away for my birthday, at home it just turns into another day but when I'm in hotels and lodges they always celebrate with a cake/bottle of wine/etc. At the Hansa - nothing.

So, yes, the hotel is comfortable in an old-fashioned, quaint way, but maybe needs to look at some of it's failings rather than resting on it's reputation.

Room tip: I would guess that the courtyard rooms are more desirable than the car park views!
Date of stay: June 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed September 2, 2018

We stayed here on our way up to Damaraland. Although it is a delightfully old fashioned hotel which is quirky, the breakfast service was the worst I have ever experienced. The waitresses might as well have thrown the food at you. You had to make your own tea (only when we asked!) toast was ordered twice, and they did not ask whether you wanted a cooked option. When mentioned to the duty manager, she looked totally disinterested.

Thank goodness we didn’t eat here last night!

Room tip: Try to get a room at the back as the road is quite noisy.