“Top of the world in Panama”

Volcan Baru National Park
Ranked #5 of 49 things to do in Boquete
More attraction details
Owner description: Panama's highest peak and only volcano at 3,478 meters offers sweeping ocean views and spectacular cloud forests from its summit.
Reviewed March 19, 2018

A visit to the top of the volcano is a must! The views are spectacular and on a clear day, you can see both Pacific and Atlantic oceans. Our group only saw the Pacific because clouds obscured the view to the East but, needless to say, it was an awesome experience. The road/trail up has been improved recently but is still not advised for anything other than 4 wheel drive with good tires. Part of our group hiked up while I took the leisuely way and drove! Whatever gets you there, it's worth it to see both sunset and sunrise.

1  Thank Tianti
"hour hike"
in 4 reviews
"an awesome experience"

Reviewed March 17, 2018

We took a walk on the "sendero los Quetzales" with an Excellent guide, (John). He spotted seven quetzals, a pair of toucanettes, and a bell bird among dozens of others . We likely wouldn't have seen much without his help.

Reviewed March 5, 2018

There was a total of 9 of us that started out at midnight from the ranger station. 50 yards up the rocky incline our first hiker decided his knees couldn't take it. It's a good thing as well because the climb continues to be even more challenging the higher you go! I'm in the late 40's and my kids in their teens and 20's. They were just as challenged on this hike as I was! I certainly don't recommend it during rainy season (May - November).
Not 100% necessary to have a guide as the trail is marked very well. People talk of others being attacked and all. I don't believe it, but you should always be prepared just in case I guess.
Make sure to bring lots of water, food, and warm clothing as you will be extremely thirsty, and it will get very very cold the closer you get to the summit.
The awesome reward is the sunrise view of both oceans! You'll love it!!!
Okay, back to reality and it sinks in you have to walk all way back. Oh, well...you'll have the next couple of days to recover :-)

3  Thank StanS1234
Reviewed February 9, 2018 via mobile

Hiked from the dirt road 3 KM to the ranger station. Before the hike we spent 60 minutes watch a few Quetzals. Beautiful birds. The hike up is steep with nice views.

1  Thank Mark S