Review Highlights
Climb Baru via Paso Ancho (Volcan)

We climbed Baru volcano via Paso Ancho. It is really hard but it deserved the pain :) It took 6... read more

Reviewed October 9, 2018
laorajj
Brussels, Belgium
Amazing sunrise on the top

Couples friend and me we decided to climb the highest Volcano in Panama, we spend the whole night... read more

Reviewed September 27, 2018
Passport638095
Panama

Top Selling Tours & Activities in and around Boquete
from US$65.00
from US$83.00
from US$35.00
More Info
All reviews volcan baru around midnight ranger station altitude sickness highest point tough hike paso ancho hostel mamallena jeep tour bring warm clothing dirt road camping area sleeping bag hiking boots amazing sunrise the pacific ocean entire hike
Reviewed March 17, 2018

We took a walk on the "sendero los Quetzales" with an Excellent guide, (John). He spotted seven quetzals, a pair of toucanettes, and a bell bird among dozens of others . We likely wouldn't have seen much without his help.

Date of experience: February 2018
Reviewed March 5, 2018

There was a total of 9 of us that started out at midnight from the ranger station. 50 yards up the rocky incline our first hiker decided his knees couldn't take it. It's a good thing as well because the climb continues to be even more challenging the higher you go! I'm in the late 40's and my kids in their teens and 20's. They were just as challenged on this hike as I was! I certainly don't recommend it during rainy season (May - November).
Not 100% necessary to have a guide as the trail is marked very well. People talk of others being attacked and all. I don't believe it, but you should always be prepared just in case I guess.
Make sure to bring lots of water, food, and warm clothing as you will be extremely thirsty, and it will get very very cold the closer you get to the summit.
The awesome reward is the sunrise view of both oceans! You'll love it!!!
Okay, back to reality and it sinks in you have to walk all way back. Oh, well...you'll have the next couple of days to recover :-)

Date of experience: January 2018
3  Thank StanS1234
Reviewed February 9, 2018 via mobile

Hiked from the dirt road 3 KM to the ranger station. Before the hike we spent 60 minutes watch a few Quetzals. Beautiful birds. The hike up is steep with nice views.

Date of experience: February 2018
1  Thank Mark S
Reviewed January 30, 2018

Tough hike, started at midnight, took a few breaks, got to top around sunrise, PEOPLE HAVE BEEN MURDERED on this hike and others so it is a must TO HAVE A GUIDE, I am in my 30's 6' 1" 200lbs and I hired a guide, but you can always gamble your life away ;)

Date of experience: April 2017
1  Thank 130thedude1980
Reviewed January 28, 2018

We had the pleasure of visiting this park with a guide. Unless you're an experienced hiker, riding part way up the volcano with a guide is the way to go. And go you must!

Date of experience: January 2018