“Could not make reservation-no reply”
Review of Hotel Castilla

Hotel Castilla
Hotel Castilla
Ranked #4 of 14 David B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 August 2011

Tried 2 times over 30 some hours to make a reservation for 1 night in mid Sept. '11, including our Am Exp card (available on their online Reservation Form which claims response w/in 36 hours!!), and its been over 3 days with nothing. There is no other contact such as email, so don't know whether we have a reservation or not. Don't know if I need to cancel it. Can't find any charge on card, but most do a 'hold' and charge for 'no shows'.

IF this is a 'QUALITY' hotel, they haven't impressed me AT ALL!!.

Find another place to do business, who act like they want your business, and follow thru with communication to deserve it.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 19 August 2011

Was referred to this hotel by a local attorney after an extremely long 24hrs in Panama. It was pouring rain, I was hungry, dirty and exhausted. I was not at all impressed by the exterior, but walking into the lobby was promising. It was quiet, spotless and interesting. Thank goodness they have a bellhop, because there are NO ELEVATORS IN THE BUILDING. I climbed the stairs to my bedroom. The view wasn't great at all. In fact mine was of a white wall, however, the window was frosted to allow daylight while sparing the view. The room was not necessarily the most trendy, but it was SPOTLESS. And the best part? The bathroom was SUPERCLEAN!!!! I ended up staying in the hotel a week. To be totally honest, I've only stayed in one hotel (upstate New York) that was cleaner anywhere in the US, Europe, Africa, Latin America or Australia, EVER. Consistently, for the entire week, the bathroom was SPOTLESS, as were all public restrooms in the hotel. Wifi was great, the Restaurant was good too. Very accommodating waitstaff. Food service was a bit slow, but EXCELLENT cappuccino and French toast. And if you're looking for a change, there's an awesome cafeteria style restaurant next door, literally. Food there is really tasty. Clean dining room too... I haven't stayed in many Panamanian establishments, but I do know that you'll be hard pressed to find any bathrooms as clean as those at this hotel, for sure! Another highlight is that locals frequent the restaurant and hotel too. So the prices are VERY REASONABLE...actually, almost unbelievable. The cheapest hotel I've stayed in, and by far, the cleanest too. UNBELIEVABLE. Happy Travels.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank wtjackso
Reviewed 15 June 2011

We arrived on a Sunday, and I can't say anything positive about the arrival. The front desk was not overly helpful or nice - she basically just took my credit card and gave me a key. However, the room was spacious and clean, and the a/c was nice. The internet was zippy, and the secure parking was a plus in this crowded town. The next morning, the restaurant turned me completely into a fan with a fantastic breakfast and friendly helpful staff -- I've even returned to have breakfast there again.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank StuartandDenese
Reviewed 14 April 2011

This is definitely NOT a B&B, it is a hotel. This is the best hotel that I have stayed at in either David or Panama City. My only reason for giving it a 4 instead of 5 is that it lacks an elevator. They cheerfully carry your bags up and down for you but, if you have trouble with stairs, it's not for you. Other than that, I have absolutely no negatives. The rooms are nice, large, clean, and comfortable. Great air conditioning. Real shower heads (not very common in low end Panama hotels) and plenty of hot water. Very good restaurant, open until 11 at night. It also has plenty of free, secure, indoor parking. It is located within easy walking distance of almost everything, the main park, restaurants, shopping, banks, and casinos.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 July 2010

I just got back from David, Panama, and would like to recommend the Hotel Castilla to anyone headed to David. Now David is not much of a town, but I know a lot of folks go there for business and shopping. You can't go wrong for the location or the money, at the Castilla. It is right on the main square, and a 2$ taxi ride to wherever you need to go. But you don't even need to take taxis, as David seemed really safe. No barbed wire anywhere!!! Mosto Bistro[great restaurant] is only a few blocks, and there are bars, casinos, and 24 hour restaurants all very close by. Now, this hotel is not the Ritz, or InterContinental, but is very clean, large rooms[get the suite for 90$], and the staff is extremely pleasant and helpful. Big smiles everywhere, Panamanians are really nice people. Free, fast, wifi, cable with loads of English language channels, large balcony, big showers, did I say really clean..... But, quite frankly, if you're in the area, stay in Boquete[45 minutes,30$ taxi away]. It's a charming place, very pretty, much more outdoorsy things to do. But, if you have to stay in David... stay at the Castlla, and eat at Mosto Bistro[3 people, gourmet food-60$].

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 July 2010

I think this hotel should be on he hotels section not B&Bs, its the one thats on the main square of David.

We were not expecting a relaxing night in David, as it was to be a transit stop on our way through Central America. Very pleasantly surprised by the Hotel Castilla, exceptionally clean, modern, great amenities, quiet, qith a great restaurant. Make sure you get the Lemon tart, the best dessert Ive tasted in my 37 & a bit years on the planet! lovely welcoming service too, from the restaurant staff, an excellent introduction to Panama and its charming people.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Bruce M
Reviewed 12 April 2010

We stayed here for one night with our 19-month-old daughter on our way from Panama City to San Jose, Costa Rica. We hadn't made prior reservations, but the staff was very helpful and friendly when we walked in off the street and asked if they had rooms. The rooms were very spacious and clean and reasonably priced. We appreciated the AC as it was very hot in David. Our room also had a balcony overlooking the street, which was nice, but again, really hot, so we didn't use it very much. The restaurant in the hotel served good food, and with a toddler, were very helpful in making sure she was happy.
The only drawback to this place is that the street noise was a bit loud, but manageable with the AC on. Next time, I would ask for a room not on the street.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family