We stayed at the Royal Decameron from Feb 6-13, 2012. After a seven hour flight, we arrived in Panama at 4:30 pm. It took us 1-1/2 hours before we were on the bus to the resort. The pilot told us the wrong carousel to get our luggage from. We finally left the airport at 6 pm. The bus ride was 3-1/2 hours long and we were told that there would be no stops. Thankfully an elderly lady asked to stop to go to the bathroom after about 2 hours. It was bumper to bumper traffic for the first two hours, move ahead three feet, stop, move ahead three feet, stop. It may have been the time of day that we arrived, I am not sure. We arrived at the resort at 9:30 pm. There was a table set up for passengers to get their room keys and then we were sent off in the dark to find our room. We were told that we had to go to the Panamei restaurant to eat before 10:30 (closing time) and everyone was starving. We ate and then went to the reception to get a safe key and mini fridge. We did not receive the fridge until the next day and they just set it outside of our room.
Room: Our room was in building 31main floor. It was ocean front with two double beds and a cot all lined up against one wall. (There were two of us) All the beds were like a banana. We went to the reception the night we arrived and asked for a different room with a king bed that we had asked for when we booked the trip. They said to talk to our Nolitour rep in the morning. We did and were told later that day that we would get a different room on thursday. The second room was in building 30 on the third floor and it did have a king sized bed, but the frame was broken, We tried to fix it so that it didn't bang everytime you rolled over in bed, but the frame was bent and had the bolts missing.The air conditioning was not working and after calling 3 times, someone finally came, three hours later. Both rooms had adjoining doors, and you could see into the room next to yours and the door might as well have been open, because our neighbors had thier TV blaring at 6 am. There are no facecloths in the bathrooms and only one hand towel. The room was clean enough in the second room we were in, but in the first one, the maid didn't even take away the empty water bottles. Oh, and we did leave them a tip every day.
FOOD: We did not care for most of the food. You can only live on buns and watermelon for so many days. The buffets were very repetative. The beef was tough like leather. We usually ended up going to both buffets, to see if we could get enough to eat between the two. It was only on the last day that we found out that the Panamei and Mogo Mogo are also open to anyone for lunch, and thier food was much better. We went to 3 AlaCartes- The LaPesca-catch of the day was terrible. We ended up going to the buffet afterwards and about 7 other couples were doing the same. We had a good laugh about this. The Kontiki was good and also the El Canal had tasty food.
DRINKS: The bartenders were very friendly and fast. They could make pretty much anything you wanted. Most of the drinks were quite strong with very little mix, but what to heck, you're on vacation right.
POOLS: All seemed very clean and not crowded. Loud music blasting all day long.
GROUNDS: Kept up very well and lots of nice flowers and trees. Lots of maintenence workers working all day long. Some iguanas on the grounds and of course the famous peacock.
SECURITY: Yes, there is a security person everywhere you look. I guess maybe that is a good thing. There was no trouble or rowdiness going on. There was security at the back of each split building and one at the front.
ENTERTAINMENT: It was good, but got a little repetative after a few days. They often involved the audience and it was funny. The dancers are great and each night was a different theme.
GETTING AROUND: Lots of walking, stairs and steep hills to climb. In 36-38 degree heat, it is alot of work. Shuttles are few and far between. We never did use one, even though we would have like to at times. It is annoying that you have to move off of the sidewalks to let the vans, trucks, golf carts etc go past every few minutes.
LOBBIES: Are all at the top of the hill. Staff are not very friendly. There are absolutely NO clocks in the resort anywhere. And yet, to do anything, you need to be there at a certain time.
TOURS: We went on the Patial Canal Transit. It was very nice and informative. A must do. It was $120 per person through the Decameron Tours. The meal we had on the vessel was better than any we had had at the resort. Bus ride from the resort to the harbour was about 2 hours each way. Left at 7 am and arrived back at the resort at 5:30. It was well worth the money to see.
We also went in to Penonome by local transit? It was a Toyota Privia van and there were 19 people in it! There were lots of stores there and good bargains. Worth the trip in. One thing we found very annoying was that a store worker walked 2 feet behind you and followed you all around the store that close, in every store we went in. We don't know if it was because we had a backpack (with water, camera etc in it) Did they not trust us, or were they trying to help????? Not sure, but made you feel like they thought you were a thief or something???
BEACH: Nice, not crowded, not dirty except for when you got down close to Woody's, there was garbage all over. Went to Woody's for a beer. Didn't find it anything special. There are some peddlers set up down towards Woody's bar. Prices are cheap for thier goods.
CASINO: We did go in and just check it out. I put in a dollar and got $25, but had to wait about a half hour for them to come and pay me because the machines only pay out up to $20. Otherwise, just like any other casino.
GOLF: We did not check out the golf course. If we could have gotten a ride over there we would have liked to see it.
WEATHER: Hot and humid. Take sunscreen over 30!
COMING HOME: We had to have our bags outside on the main floor by 10 am, bus picked us up at 12:30 to go to the airport. It was only a two hour ride going back. Our flight was at 6 pm. Looked in a few duty free shops. There are lots of them. Food at the terminal is like all airports....overpriced!
Would we go back to this resort? DEFINITELY NOT. Not worth the money we spent for what we got. We do realize that everyone has different tastes and opinions. This is just ours..
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Royal Decameron Golf, Beach Resort & Villas Panama is an all inclusive hotel located about 2 kilometers of white sandy beach in Farallon, Panama. The hotel is located on the Pacific coast, close to many tourist attractions. Also, the city of Panama and the Tocumen International Airport (PTY) are located 120 miles away. The Royal Decameron in Panama hotel offers 852 guestrooms in low-rise buildings and 370 rooms Villas. Each room is equipped with air conditioning, satellite TV, closet, safe (local charge), direct dial telephone (with deposit cash at the reception) and a private bathroom with shower and hair dryer. Also have a minibar as part of the all inclusive plan and the villas are located on the golf course. Royal Decameron Golf, Beach Resort & Villas Panama offers eight pools for adults three wading pools, three hot tubs, a casino, a golf course with 18 holes and a full spa. This beach hotel also offers a variety of organized activities on land and water for the whole family, and two convention centers for business travelers. The Royal Decameron Golf, Beach Resort has 11 bars, a nightclub and 10 restaurants ranging from traditional to the more exotic. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Booking.com, Travelocity.ca, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Royal Decameron Beach Resort, Golf & Casino reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Royal Decameron Beach Resort, Golf Hotel Farallon
- Royal Decameron Beach Resort, Golf And Casino
- Royal Decameron Beach Resort Panama
- Royal Decameron Beach Hotel
- Royal Decameron Panama
- Hotel Royal Decameron Beach
- Royal Decameron Costa Blanca Hotel
- Royal Decameron Beach Resort, Golf & Casino Panama
- Royal Decameron Resort Panama