All reviews mosquito nets were provided intrepid tour charge your phone jungle experience cold water the river a great experience night walk candles macaws gloves electricity lodge guide generator wildlife canopy
Reviewed July 23, 2016

We visited this lodge with our Intrepid Tour.

The lodge has a fantastic rustic feel about it with an open dining and communal lounge area.

Beds were very comfortable and mosquito nets were provided.

Be prepared for cold showers.

The activities and Guides were excellent we saw a variety of wildlife, including otters, piranha, Monkeys, Lizzards, Butterflies and snakes. How the guides spotted them I have no idea! The Guides also made us laugh with their stories and enjoyed talking to us about where we were from... and learning English and Australian Slang.

Food was excellent with great options for Vegetarians and Gluten Free Diners.

One afternoon the staff took a break to play soccer with the guests and this was great fun to be apart of and made the stay even more enjoyable.

Plus as we were on our honeymoon they even upgraded us to a larger room with a double bed which was much appreciated :) - but to keep in mind most of the rooms were 2 single beds.

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank NiciD88
Reviewed July 17, 2016

I was there a couple of weeks ago with family and a friend for the 3 days/2 nights package. It took us about 1 hour from Puerto Maldonado to the river and about another hour to the lodge by boat. Our guide was nice and showed us many interesting animals and insects (caimans, monkeys, piranhas, otters, birds, tarantulas, etc.). The lodge was just as I expected, basic but nice and comfortable. We were okay with not having hot water or electricity all the time.

I just have two negative comments: 1. I had to send many e-mails to make my reservation because the stuff wasn't very responsive. Given than I had to pay the full amount of the package by Paypal before getting there, I felt very uneasy about the whole operation. 2. The food at the lodge. I didn't expect amazing food in the middle of the jungle, but the portions were ridiculous at times (one chicken drum with sauce and a lot of rice for dinner). And we ate that two times in the two days we were there. For the price of the package, I think they can do better.

it was nice overall but I don't think I would go back and not sure I could recommend it to a good friend.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed June 4, 2016

Wow - what a fantastic place. It takes about three hours (van and motorised canoe) from Puerto Maldonado and you feel as if you are in the middle of the jungle with so many birds, butterflies and monkeys. Being woken by the howlers monkeys at about 4am is the coolest experience - they are sooooo loud and spooky!
They were having a cold snap when we visited due to El Nino. On the one hand I was relieved as it was a comfortable temperature but it did mean there were fewer animals about. We still managed to see many different monkeys, macaws, other parrots, river otters, cayman, capybara, bats, piranha, every type of ant imaginable, big spiders including the resident tarantula. The thousands of butterflies were amazing!!
Our room was basic but comfortable. There is a honeymoon suite which sounded lovely. You do need to time your toileting to when the generator is running as this pumps the water!

The food was all great - as vegetarians we were well catered for as was the dairy & gluten free in our group.

All the activities were excellent and the guides Yuri & Ivan were the best animal spotters and very knowledgeable and friendly

Room Tip: ear plugs may come in handy as the walls are super thin a Make sure to take them out before dawn though so you hear the howler monkeys
  • Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank agentbates2014
Reviewed April 18, 2016

Stayed for 3D/2N and had a great experience. The guides and staff were all knowledgeable, friendly and helpful. The main lodge was very nice, with plugs to charge your phone and a bar that had happy hour. Food portions were large and, although not the best food I've ever had, did the trick after excursions. Rooms are basic: bathroom with "refreshing shower", mirror and toilet; room with beds that can be guarded by mosquito net, a candle, night table and electricity (at certain times). Enjoyed the peace and serenity of the Amazon, which unfortunately was disturbed at times by the construction being done of the new lodges.

Stayed: March 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank sail29er
Reviewed September 22, 2015

Our trip to Explorer's Inn in the Amazon was a great trip. There is no power except in the main lodge and they only have the generator running during the evening meal. It was a nice way to get away from electronic devices. The rooms are sparse: walls are super thin so you have definitely hear everything and the from of the rooms that open to the outside only have curtains and mosquito netting. This was extremely nice when a large storm rolled through one evening and we could fall asleep listening to the rain.

We did the 3D/2N trip but due to weather, we only got one real outing into the forest. However, we also got to go out on the river one night to look for Caymans and our guide even caught one for us. He was a great guide.

Overall, given what we did and the cost, we would probably not do this trip again. Perhaps the longer trips are more worth the money. As for the state of the property, everything seemed to be in working order and in good repair. Bring a flashlight or headlamp as the light in the rooms is candlelight.

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple