New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Gran Bolivar Hotel

Gran Bolivar Hotel
Ranked #16 of 36 Hotels in Trujillo
North Conway, New Hampshire
“I will not stay with them ever again”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

The hotel is really beautiful but since we got there it was a bad experience. We stay there for 2 night before we decide to go to an other hotel.
the room didn't have any ventilation, the fan was way to small and didn't help at all, we had a window with a view to a dirty wall and trash.
the hotel is very noise, not just the other guess also early in the morning the employes start talking and joking.
The bed was terrible hard and the location is horrible, you have to walk a long time to get to the Plaza de Armas in an area that seriously get you scare.
we never got the cleaning service, our bed was never made and no clean towels or more toilet paper, shampoo or soap (in a matrimonial room they give you 1 small shampoo and soap that hardly is enough for one person one day)
The Internet connection was imposible to use, I had to sit in a special spot of the room to get connection (still very slow)
I'm not a person who complain but this is really unacceptable, the hotel we change to "Mariest" is outside of the down town but is cheaper in a nice area, great service, breakfast included and if you want, they delivered to your room with no extra charge, stronge Internet connection, really nice employees and an amazing everything!! Or if you want something near the Plaza e Armas probably the best option will be the royal that is also cheaper, nicer and has a pool.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Lima, Peru
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2012

The building is great. The reviews were great. We were looking forward to a little bit of luxury after a week in the mountains. Sadly our experience went from bad to worse. Perhaps this is the place where we were 'unlucky'. Firstly, we made our reservation online and had booked a 'matrimonial' room. Upon arrival, we were lead to a 'double' with a bed barely big enough for one person (let alone two). There was hot water but NO COLD WATER. We returned to reception and were told that we had in fact ordered a twin anyway (implying we should be happy with a double). On explaining that we knew what we ordered (because it was our anniversary and we certainly wouldn't have ordered a 'twin'), the owner said that they would prepare another room for us. By this time we had been at the hotel for around an hour. We left the hotel and went for a walk. When we returned an hour later, the other room still wasn't ready. We went for another walk and returned after dinner. We were shown to the new room (a matrimonial) and things were finally going well... until we turned on the water. There was absolutely NO HOT WATER at all. When we enquired about this at first they didn't listen and we were told that there was hot water. Finally someone came to check and they confirmed no hot water. By now it is 9:30pm. We haven't been able to settle in any room let alone have a shower after our 8 hour journey from the mountains. We are told they are looking into the situation. By 10:30pm, I couldn't take it anymore. It was our anniversary; we were tired after a long trip; we were dirty and we just wanted to take a shower and relax. We finally conveyed our feelings and asked for a final solution to the problem. The owner came up and we were moved to a third room (bigger than the last two and with hot water).
After moving room three times, we had everything that we had wished for in a room: comfortable clean bed, tv that worked, hot water (and cold water!) and clean towels. We had to wait for six hours until we achieved all this and when we did, we were able to relax.
Breakfast was fine - great papaya juice.
Upon checking out, we struck problems again. We were asked to pay for the room again (this was the third time: first time was online; second time was on arrival; and this time on check-out). Though the appearance of the hotel is wonderful and it was very close to the national dance championships (marinera), our expectations were far from met (and they weren't particularly high). I hate to give a poor review, but sadly I have to in this case. The service could certainly have been a lot better.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank fleafeet

Travellers are raving about these Trujillo hotels

milpitasca
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2012

My review of this hotel is tainted by the fact that almost immediately upon arrival I became very sick with the revenge of the Lord of Sipan. After a miserable night alone with chills, fever, 5 lomotil pills, I finally called the front desk to arrange for a doctor to come to my room. The one young lady from the hotel (25ish with perfect English) escorted her uncle to evaluate me within approx. a half hour of my call. She translated my symptoms to the Dr. and stayed with me as he treated me. Quite reassuring. After a shot, pills delivered to my room, and other items like electrolyte solution, the hotel staff made sure I had clean sheets,towels, and bottles of water and cups of tea. The bed was quite hard, but I had aches and pains. Room was large, quiet, and ventilation via an inner courtyard. There was an elevator and someone to help with baggage. I didn't eat breakfast,except for tea and toast - but the buffet looked nice in a decent room below the lobby and others looked to be enjoying it. This hotel had great service (and beyond) when I needed it due to illness.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank alicerabbit
Gales Ferry, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2011

My wife and I have been here for 6 weeks. This is our second visit ,having stayed for one week last year. We have found the staff very attentive and pleasant.Several speak English. When we arrived our car had a broken accelerator cable. They contacted an honest mechanic who installed a new cable in about a half hour and charged us less than 10 dollars that first day.This is only one example of the many kindnesses the staff have extended.During our stay a Major League Peruvian Footbal team and the staff of a Presidential Candidate have also stayed here.We have been treated like royalty.Rooms larger and better furished than comparably priced hotels I checked .I have no reservation in giving the Gran Bolivar Hotel my highest recommendation.Al Nichols,U.S.A.

Room Tip: If not totally pleased,ask,staff very accomodating
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank alnichols
Chicago
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2011

pros....Very good response to e-mail enquiry and booking. Picked me up from the bus station no problem. The hotel itself is well presented though i was a little disappointing with the room given the price range. Staff are very friendly. Free internet works fine.

Cons.....A little bit far from the plaza and a little too far for a comfortable walk at night. They, like many hotels in this range, charge a lot for tours and laundry. Tours were double the price than in town center. When i did one tour i paid 20 soles for from a tour company on the plaza , they picked up another guest from my hotel who i know had paid 50 soles and got nothing different. I get very annoyed at these huge mark ups and feel they take advantage, This was a constant gripe of mine in two and half months in peru.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank TaraTate
Antwerp
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2010

We arrived late in the evening by plane in Trujillo. We were planning to go to Hotel Peregrino, but the taxidriver said that that hotel didn't exist anymore. We asked to be taken to Suite Plaza Hotel Residencial instead, but after a phonecall from our driver we were met in front of that hotel by someone of the staff who said that there was no room available in his hotel. The hotel next to that was full too.

So we agreed reluctantly to be taken to Gran Bolivar instead. Because we thought that it must have been some kind of arrangement between the staff and the taxi driver, we insisted that we would only talk about the price when the driver was gone.
Since we would stay 3 nights, we got a discount (130 soles/night = +/- 46 US dollar per night and got room 401 which proved to be clean, very big with a very big double bed, and rusticly decorated. We had a good shower in the bathroom.
The breakfast was in buffet style and was very good.
The girl at the reception is very friendly. Guests can use the computers in the lobby for free. The front part of the hotel is an old colonial building which is joined to the modern hotelpart of the building in the back by a courtyard with a fountain.
The hotel is a few blocks from the Plaza de Armas, and there are several restaurants in Jr. Pizarro.

On Sunday mornings ( around 10 am.) there is a flagraising ceremony on the Plaza the Armas, presided over by the military and the police. We witnessed a parade of dressed up schoolchildren as well, but this might have had something to do with the "dia de la juventud".

Trujillo is a city with plenty of churches and colonial buildings, a nice archeological museum, and an extraordinary number of casinos.

For daytrips around Trujillo we can really recommend Moche Tours, Jr. Pizarro 543 (www.mochetours.tk email: mochetours@hotmail.com) . We took a daytrip with them to the piramids Huaca del Sol y Huaca de la Luna, the ruins of Chan Chan and Huanchaco beach to see the fishermen ride the waves on totora reed boats. We had a very good guide and all the people at this agency are very enthusiastic. They have a branch in Chiclayo, which is also very recommendable.

To go from Trujillo to Chiclayo (+/- 200 Kms, +/- 3 hours drive) we took a deluxe bus from Empresa de Transportes Ave Fénix Emtrafesac, Av. Tupac Amaru 165, Urb. Huerta Grande (tel. : 044-222.122). for 20 soles per person (= +/- 5 euro or 7 US dollar). This buys you the most comfortable big seats you've ever seen, with ample leg space and an extractable legboard to put your legs on, and you get a small snackbox. However, our main reason to take this bus was safety : your luggage gets a tag in the luggagedeposit, of which you get a double. The bus doesn't stop underway and upon arrival at your destination you have to present the proper tag or you cannot retrieve your luggage.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank TravelcrazyAntwerp
Budapest, Hungary
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2010

After 2-1/2 weeks in Peru, I have experienced many different hotels. In most of them I have slept poorly and had variable service. This hotel was my final night in Peru after a horrid experience in a town 1-1/2 hours away.

Booking the hotel was great. Online reservation was fast, efficient, and they responded quickly to ask what my flight/bus info was to arrange a transfer. Their website was helpful, although it is misleading regarding transfers (see below).

They advertise an American breakfast as part of the lodging. So far every place that has said that had no idea what that really means. This hotel was the shining exception. Breakfast was EXCELLENT in quality and offerings. I was so happy to have eggs finally! :) There were several juices, yogurt, etc. I ate lunch there twice and found the food to be quite excellent. On top of it the prices were better than most hotel-provided meals. Service was superb..

The building is attractive and a nice blend of modern and old. Check-in was one of the fastest I've ever experienced. I had reserved a "simple" room and was shocked at the room when I got there. The bathroom and main room were quite large, larger than many American rooms. There is cable TV with a plethora of channels, free in-room wireless Internet that had great speed and reliability, a small mini-bar with snacks, water, sodas, beer, and wine, and toiletries all at very reasonable prices. The bed was very comfortable. Only down side is it did not seem that the room had a heater, and I can see where some people might need the room to be warmer. There is A/C for the warm weather.

The price for the room and services was extremely reasonable. Location was great. It's a very short walk to the Plaza de Armas, to restaurants and shopping. About a 20-min ride to the airport.

My only complaint was that the website listing of transfers is misleading. It would seem transfers are included, but they aren't. Not only was I not advised of this, but I was quite surprised when the taxi driver informed me I owed him 20 soles. That would've been fine if I had known in advance. It could've been more of a challenge esp since I was preparing to leave the country so had my soles carefully budgeted. He did call the hotel so that I could verify I wasn't being swindled.

Checkout was also super fast and efficient.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo