Gran Bolivar Hotel
US$100
US$90
US$91
US$71
Hostal El Centurion(Trujillo)(Great Value!)
US$26
US$77
  • Breakfast included
All reviewscablelaundrytourssheetsgymperu
Reviewed November 25, 2010

We arrived late in the evening by plane in Trujillo. We were planning to go to Hotel Peregrino, but the taxidriver said that that hotel didn't exist anymore. We asked to be taken to Suite Plaza Hotel Residencial instead, but after a phonecall from our driver we were met in front of that hotel by someone of the staff who said that there was no room available in his hotel. The hotel next to that was full too.

So we agreed reluctantly to be taken to Gran Bolivar instead. Because we thought that it must have been some kind of arrangement between the staff and the taxi driver, we insisted that we would only talk about the price when the driver was gone.
Since we would stay 3 nights, we got a discount (130 soles/night = +/- 46 US dollar per night and got room 401 which proved to be clean, very big with a very big double bed, and rusticly decorated. We had a good shower in the bathroom.
The breakfast was in buffet style and was very good.
The girl at the reception is very friendly. Guests can use the computers in the lobby for free. The front part of the hotel is an old colonial building which is joined to the modern hotelpart of the building in the back by a courtyard with a fountain.
The hotel is a few blocks from the Plaza de Armas, and there are several restaurants in Jr. Pizarro.

On Sunday mornings ( around 10 am.) there is a flagraising ceremony on the Plaza the Armas, presided over by the military and the police. We witnessed a parade of dressed up schoolchildren as well, but this might have had something to do with the "dia de la juventud".

Trujillo is a city with plenty of churches and colonial buildings, a nice archeological museum, and an extraordinary number of casinos.

For daytrips around Trujillo we can really recommend Moche Tours, Jr. Pizarro 543 (www.mochetours.tk email: mochetours@hotmail.com) . We took a daytrip with them to the piramids Huaca del Sol y Huaca de la Luna, the ruins of Chan Chan and Huanchaco beach to see the fishermen ride the waves on totora reed boats. We had a very good guide and all the people at this agency are very enthusiastic. They have a branch in Chiclayo, which is also very recommendable.

To go from Trujillo to Chiclayo (+/- 200 Kms, +/- 3 hours drive) we took a deluxe bus from Empresa de Transportes Ave Fénix Emtrafesac, Av. Tupac Amaru 165, Urb. Huerta Grande (tel. : 044-222.122). for 20 soles per person (= +/- 5 euro or 7 US dollar). This buys you the most comfortable big seats you've ever seen, with ample leg space and an extractable legboard to put your legs on, and you get a small snackbox. However, our main reason to take this bus was safety : your luggage gets a tag in the luggagedeposit, of which you get a double. The bus doesn't stop underway and upon arrival at your destination you have to present the proper tag or you cannot retrieve your luggage.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank TravelcrazyAntwerp
Reviewed July 7, 2010

After 2-1/2 weeks in Peru, I have experienced many different hotels. In most of them I have slept poorly and had variable service. This hotel was my final night in Peru after a horrid experience in a town 1-1/2 hours away.

Booking the hotel was great. Online reservation was fast, efficient, and they responded quickly to ask what my flight/bus info was to arrange a transfer. Their website was helpful, although it is misleading regarding transfers (see below).

They advertise an American breakfast as part of the lodging. So far every place that has said that had no idea what that really means. This hotel was the shining exception. Breakfast was EXCELLENT in quality and offerings. I was so happy to have eggs finally! :) There were several juices, yogurt, etc. I ate lunch there twice and found the food to be quite excellent. On top of it the prices were better than most hotel-provided meals. Service was superb..

The building is attractive and a nice blend of modern and old. Check-in was one of the fastest I've ever experienced. I had reserved a "simple" room and was shocked at the room when I got there. The bathroom and main room were quite large, larger than many American rooms. There is cable TV with a plethora of channels, free in-room wireless Internet that had great speed and reliability, a small mini-bar with snacks, water, sodas, beer, and wine, and toiletries all at very reasonable prices. The bed was very comfortable. Only down side is it did not seem that the room had a heater, and I can see where some people might need the room to be warmer. There is A/C for the warm weather.

The price for the room and services was extremely reasonable. Location was great. It's a very short walk to the Plaza de Armas, to restaurants and shopping. About a 20-min ride to the airport.

My only complaint was that the website listing of transfers is misleading. It would seem transfers are included, but they aren't. Not only was I not advised of this, but I was quite surprised when the taxi driver informed me I owed him 20 soles. That would've been fine if I had known in advance. It could've been more of a challenge esp since I was preparing to leave the country so had my soles carefully budgeted. He did call the hotel so that I could verify I wasn't being swindled.

Checkout was also super fast and efficient.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank 1Dad1Kid
Reviewed October 23, 2007

This hotel is OK but is ready for a major renovation. The weather was unusually cold when we were in Trujillo and the hotel has no heating. The free internet access was useful - though we had to pay S2 for the four sheets of paper to print out boarding passes! Breakfast was OK but nothing special

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
MIami
Reviewed May 23, 2006

I spent three days in Trujillo , The Gran Bolivar hotel has a good service, the staff very friendly, it has internet access in rooms and a gym

• Stayed: May 2006, travelled on business
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
San Antonio, TX
Reviewed May 14, 2006

nice hotel and great price. Nice and clean rooms, staff was very helpful

• Stayed: March 2006