“The best Restaurant in Trujillo”
Review of Al Dente

Al Dente
Ranked #3 of 319 Restaurants in Trujillo
Price range: US$6 - US$12
Reviewed May 10, 2018

We stumbled upon Al Dente as we were walking the streets of Trujillo.

We were greeted by a well dressed waiter with a great smile holding my chair for me named Julio. The service was immediate and we had our drinks within a minute of arriving!

The menu is easy to navigate and we choose an antipasti appetizer, a pizza and a pasta. Toasted garlic bread came out first while the chef - Kenny - prepared our antipasti which was a large platter of cheeses, meats, olives and tomatoes with thinly sliced crostini for us to combine any way we liked.

Then...the entrees arrived. I could not stop eating my spinach ravioli with a a sauce Julio recommended for me. I did not leave one ravioli un-eaten and did not even offer one to my boyfriend. It was the best Italian dish I have ever had.

The pizza was sizzling upon arrival to our table and it was toasted to perfection with just the right amount of sauce, cheese and toppings. It was excellent.

You could tell everything was made at the restaurant - the pasta, the pizza crust, the sauces, the salad dressings, and I soon found out that they bring in the majority of the ingredients are brought in from Italy.

The chef - Kenny - took the time to come out of the kitchen to check in with us. He is a co-owner with Gianluca - a Chef from Italy.

As the night progressed the waiters became our friends. Alberto makes the best cafe con leche and Julio gave us superb service with a friendly smile.

I actually hugged Julio, Alberto and Kenny on our way out of the restaurant - we have been back to the restaurant every night of our visit.

Do not miss the experience of going to this restaurant. You will love it.

Reviewed May 6, 2018 via mobile

While pizzerias are common in Peru finding a good Italian restaurant is usually more tricky. Al dente has excellent food. Well worth going to.

Reviewed March 30, 2018

Pasta perfectly Italian style al dente. The italian house wine from the beautiful Toscana region was the perfect combination to the italian dishes and serves at a perfect temperature.
The staff is very friendly and well educated about the menue.
To give `al dente` the perfect last touch of an italian experience is that the chef himself leaves the kitchen to talk to his guests.

Al Dente = molto buono :)

1  Thank PeteT-FL
Reviewed March 27, 2018

We were made very welcome, even though we had only intended to have a drink. Having looked at the menu we decided to eat as well. Food was very good and pretty authentic. Portions were the right size for us - we had been struggling with over large meals elsewhere. The downside was the busy street location.

Reviewed March 11, 2018 via mobile

My partner and I visited Al Dente at a stop over in Trujillo before an overnight bus.
We were very happy with the quality of food and service.
I ordered the spinach and ricotta ravioli with pomodoro sauce. It was really nice, however the portion was quite small so a big eater may need more.
My partner ordered the vegetarian lasagne and was very satisfied.
It was great to have real cheese again!! (as most Peruvian cheese has a funny taste).