“Yummy food and family memories”

Balloons Restaurant & Catering
Ranked #5 of 117 Restaurants in Auburn
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Balloons is an Iconic post depression era restaurant that has been known as THE PLACE FOR STEAKS in Auburn for ever. We hand cut all of our steaks from USDA CHOICE beef or better all sourced from the midwest. We offer the best Wine list in Auburn at very reasonable prices. Don't judge the neighborhood please come in and ENJOY the best service and a great meal. Established 1934
Reviewed February 2, 2016 via mobile

Balloon's was my Dad's favorite Italian / Ameican restaurant and therefore became special to me. Balloon's has been around for generations and is famous for their steak. As a kid I always got manicotti. There are numerous Italian dishes. This evening I got New England Clam Chowder to start. It was superb! I was in heaven! The bread was nice too. I am partial to their house salad and their house dressing which is very simple, but just as I remember it as a child. There are other options if you like a more fancy salad. My friend wanted to share blackened scallops because she loves them at Balloon's. I had one of hers, it was good. She asked for them to go easy on the seasoning. (A good plan).

My friend got the filet mignon and garlic mashed potatoes. She enjoyed it! I got the shrimp scampi, it was really good! I had to take 1/2 home because I ate so much bread, soup and salad. It was a great meal and although it was crowded, the service was fast, professional and good. Balloon's is popular and has staying power for a reason! They do a good job!
If you are not from the area... It is easy to find, right beside the huge "Prison City" prison wall. This old Italian restaurant is still a great find!

1  Thank ButtercuplovesWesley

Reviewed January 30, 2016

The food is always fantastic, no matter what the dish! Much of the staff have been there for years which makes for great service. The younger staff are great too! Just make certain to have reservations on prime nights (weekends for sure) and still be prepared to wait a little while. On the flip side, the bar is right inside the door.

1  Thank Mark A
Reviewed January 29, 2016

Balloons is a friendly neighborhood place where a large percentage of the patrons are regulars. Staff members, including several Simmons family members, have worked there a long time. Make a reservation for weekends or be prepared to wait at the bar. Last time we ate there, my husband and I shared the Utica greens, which have just the right amount of garlic, cheese, and peppers for us. We then each had the house salad (with the wonderful house dressing, a light Italian). I had veal Parmesan w/ pasta, and my husband had creole fettuccine Alfredo. We both brought home enough food for lunch the next day. The desserts are housemade and tremendous, but we just didn't have room. Next time...

1  Thank SkanLaker
Reviewed January 23, 2016

We LOVE Balloons and have for thirty years. Its a great neighborhood place with old school atmosphere and the best steaks around. Bernie the owner, makes the place click. A great chef who demands high quality service from his loyal staff. The Italian dishes make you come back for more!

Reviewed January 14, 2016 via mobile

It is a shame when a good restaurant neglects maintenance.
It detracts from the enjoyment of your meal when someone in the booth behind you moves and you move with them. It would seem to be an easy fix to secure the booths.
The acoustics in the dining room are horrible! You can't carry on a conversation with someone across the table without shouting? An acoustical ceiling is not that expensive.
Taking the profits and not reinvesting in the property has ruined many businesses. I hope this doesn't happen here.
Wake up Bernie!