“What I expected”

Ranked #2 of 31 Hotels in Pasay
Istanbul, Turkey
“What I expected”
Reviewed 3 April 2012

I booked a one-night stay here on wotif.com mainly for the convenient location to the airport. It matched my expectations for a 5-star hotel but there were a couple of small issues (some mentioned by other reviewers) that made it slightly less than perfect.

First was the check-in process, which took quite a while (somewhat understandable with the number of rooms they have) - be prepared for a wait if you arrive at a busy time. We then had to wait another hour before our room was ready.
They offer free, in-room wi-fi if you join the Marriott Rewards program, which I did -- unfortunately we couldn't get this to work on my friend's iPod.

On the positive side, the (fourth floor) room was nice, clean and had a green outlook from the balcony. The included buffet breakfast was great, with a wide range of options. Customer service was quite good (particularly in the eateries).

I would probably stay here again if I had the cash to spend and wanted somewhere close to the airport. (Resorts World has a free airport shuttle bus that we used to get to the hotel from NAIA terminal 3.)

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
5 Thank metamorphing

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (406)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
California
Reviewed 3 April 2012

This is my first time to the Philippines as I make my way on to Boracay. Due to a tight flight schedule I decided to stay a night near the airport, and automatically chose the Marriott since I'm already a Marriott's reward member. I can't comment too much about the surroundings since I'm only staying overnight, so will just concentrate on what I can about the hotel itself.

I'm so glad I chose to stay here as the hotel is awesome! Once you approach the hotel's front driveway you'd think you were entering a highly secure embassy with all the vehicle security screening, and once again as you enter the hotel's front doors through the metal detectors. That's fine...not a big deal. Once you enter however, you forget all that as the friendly smiling faces of the staff greeted me and guided me to the reception desk. Check in was easy and friendly and I was informed of all the facilities and entertainment the hotel had to offer. I was also offered a special executive lounge use and breakfast package for a small fee, which I gladly ok'd.

I was quickly accompanied up to the room by the bellboy with my luggage and we had a friendly chat about the hotel on the way. Once in the room he very nicely explained all the rooms' amenities which was very helpful. I didn't expect such a nice room, but it was a very nice size, very nicely decorated, very clean, and very comfortable. What I was very worried about at the time of booking was the potential noise from being located so near the airport. The room was 100% silent! I had a wonderfully peaceful sleep, the room temperature was perfect, the bed and sheets were oh so comfortable!

The next morning I tried the breakfast at the ground floor cafe. The spread is fantastic with pretty much everything you could possibly need or want to fill up for the day! There was an excellent selection of western (an egg station) and Asian fare, fresh fruits and juices, breads and pastries, etc. What pleasantly surprised me and that I'd never seen in any hotel I'd ever stayed in in my life were the hors doeuvre style samples and juice blends du jour. Unfortunately, I was already too stuffed from the main breakfast buffet to try them all. The staff were all so friendly, helpful, and attentive....and spoke English very well, so no communication issues there.

I'm not sure if free internet is available for all guests, but I got it, which was great.

All in all a wonderful place to stay, albeit this was only one night. I'll be staying here again for another one-nighter on my way back through Manila from Boracay so am already looking forward to that.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank TravellingBanana628
Delray Beach, Florida
Reviewed 3 April 2012

A hotel near the airport, mall and casino. what more to ask for?expensive but great value for money. superb staff and very clean. 5 star rating for me.

Room Tip: Make sure to drop by at the nearby newport mall..
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 3 April 2012

Good quality business hotel, rooms are spacious (if not a little cold) and the breakfast selection is excellent. Security is high which makes for a not particularly friendly experience. Would not recommend a stay here for any other than business reasons as it's centered in a rather soul-destroying casino complex with some below par shops and restaurants.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
manila
Reviewed 1 April 2012

this hotel is beside a casino, a mall, a theater and just across the airport so everything you will be needing while in Metro Manila is within arms reach!it has an air of luxury and the breakfast befits its rating of being 5-star. this hotel being new is beautiful and wel-kept, for those who want to splurge, this is a great choice.

Room Tip: get a room with a view of the golf course
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank princesscat09
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 31 March 2012

My family and I checked in at the Marriott 2 weeks ago in Manila. Wow, this Hotel is indeed expensive!!! I think it's more expensive compare to US and Canada or at least the same!! I just hope that Filipino staff are getting the same salary rate! The hotel is beautiful and clean and the lobby is huge!! However, at night time, I have noticed that there are also mosquitoes in the lounge!! Also, the food are very expensive- a very small glass of mango juice costs me P500 (or US $10). The staff are friendly but still can't forget how expensive this hotel is!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Waterford, Michigan
Reviewed 31 March 2012

Stayed here one night using Marriott points in transit from Seoul to Palawan. Excellent experience...

Positives:
+ barely 10 minutes from airport to hotel (once you get a cab - that's another story).
+ Exceedingly professional and cheerful staff. Infectious attitude. Cab experience had us a bit down on the trip. The staff turned that around quickly starting with the security team out front who were all smiles and even joked with the kids...and yet still very professional and thorough.
+ Everything clean and working well.
+ Rooms exactly what we asked for.
+ offered cost saving options (such as was available) to help defer expensive breakfast costs. Sold us a package for breakfasts and exec lounge - very handy and less than cost of breakfast only for 4.
+ Breakfast and lunch buffet outstanding!!! Everything you could want plus. Even an ice cream stand. Everything very well prepared and delicious. Staff terriffic.
+ Hotel front desk helpful and offered to arrange metered cab instead of hotel sedan to keep cost low as out morning destination was only 3km from the hotel. Very helpful staff was a theme of the visit.

Negatives...
- ok, it is a bit costly if you aren't staying on points. But, I have already decided that we do this trip again (and we will) this will be where we stay on both transit stays through Manila. We tried another on the way back and ugh! For our stay this hotel defined the phase "you get what you pay for".
- Did not honor our request in our booking for rooms next to each other. We were substantially seperated (same floor but distant). I probably should have called and made this a more firm request with some advance work. Even so hotel staff was appologetic and it was not a major issue in a one night stay.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pasay
0.3 km away
2.8 km away
Hyatt City of Dreams Manila
0.1 km away
Maxims Hotel - Resorts World Manila

Been to Manila Marriott Hotel? Share your experiences!