New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of The Mabuhay Manor

The Mabuhay Manor
Ranked #7 of 30 Hotels in Pasay
London, United Kingdom
“will never think of going to this hotel!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

I am never really fond of making reviews,however, I'd like to inform the management that they have to do rigid training for their staff, particularly the telephone operator who has been so unhelpful and seemingly has no basic idea about the hotel. I was trying to book and one of their suite rooms and could not differentiate the differences of each and just merely gave a blatant excuse that she is only the operator and I have to reach the central reservations for inquiries and booking which did not seem possible either as I was put on hold for minutes without anyone picking up the phone. I called her again and ask her to connect me to the reservations department and she gave the same silly answer that she is could not do that as she is the telephone operator, I wonder what the telephone operator does in that case!So disappointing and annoying, the staff's attitude shown is a reflection of what kind of hotel this is. I would not come even if the offers for balikbayans seem enticing. I wouldn't dare booking this hotel by all means unless the staff will show professionalism and have a basic idea of what they actually have.

Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank FERNLOUIS29

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Wellington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2012

I have stayed here five times since 2007 with my Filipino wife and we both enjoy the Balikbayan ambience of the Mabuhay. Our last stay was this April and we rented a Balikbayan Suite and had some of our extended family with us. We all enjoyed the experience. We have stayed in their standard and deluxe rooms, even those without windows, and always felt safe, the accommodation being clean and the decor relaxing. I have gone out after dark (down to Chow King or Kenny Rogers) and always felt safe enough. The Baclaren Mall and street markets are interesting, and the hotel is close to Edsa, the Mall of Asia, and the airport. For foreigners such as myself, the MH offers an insight into, and an experience of, the Filipino way which I have much appreciated. I have also found it a good arrival or departure point for our Philippine's trips, reliable and pretty consistent. If you want the Marriot style--then go there; for relaxed, accommodating Westerners, this is a pretty good intro to Manila and the Philippines.

Room Tip: The Balikbayan Suites are certainly worth considering: pool-side accommodation.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Wellingt0nian
Cebu Island, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

Room was clean enough..Great location and very close to the Baclalaran Flea Market which is convenient for us because we loved to shop in a flea market...Breakfast is not that impressive though, but we had a great time staying in this Hotel and thats all it count....

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mai_mike
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2012

This is a bit of a late review, but I feel the need to.

Pros:
1)Conveniently located near the airport, but... (see cons)
2)Friendly staff.
3)Airport service was great, friendly driver.
4)Rooms were clean and unexpectedly nice.
5)Great value; wasn't cheap, wasn't expensive.
6)And breakfast was THE BOMB. <3
7)Staff were always cleaning the halls.
8)The mirrors in the halls.
9)The mancala table! My sister and I spent an hour playing on that table! We pretty much hogged it.
10)There was this one really cute waiter... hahaha.

Cons:
1)Location was a tad bit sketchy.
2)The lobby needs to be a little homier.
3)We had to cross a bridge-like structure to go to our room and the bars were a little grimy.
4)There were parts of the hotel that looked like it wasn't cleaned since the hotel was made.
5)The front area could use some remodeling; it looked nicer on TV, but doesn't everything on TV look nice? XD
6)The window in our room was kinda gross.
7)The TV was too small and old-looking.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Koblenz, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2012

The Mabuhay Manor is a very nice hotel near NAIA Manila as well as the SM Mall of Asia. Though the neighborhood is not the best and can feel quiet unsafe at night, the hotel itself stands out as a beautiful place and the 3 security guards give you a feeling of safety inside the hotel. Breakfast is delicious, the pool bigger than I expected it to be and the rooms itself are spacious and clean as well as nicely decorated. What I liked about the place was the decoration with swags all over the hotel premises. The room rate was ok, not a bargain but not as expensive as many international hotels in roughly the same area. I recommend the Mabuhay Manor for any stay in Manila, as it is a home in a noisy and polluted city. By the way, Wi-Fi is free in the room, and it is even quiet fast.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Kai L
Sydney
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2011

I booked here as they do free airport pick up but for P3500 for a deluxe room per night is not worth it. I wanted to just stay here as it was just an overnight stay as we were flying out to go to another destination the following day.

I stayed here 2.5 years ago and didn't mind it back then however as I have stayed at other nice hotels since then this would be the last time I will stay with Mabuhay Manor. The other hotel I highly recommend is Microtel Inn in Mall of Asia. It's only P3900 for the night but the airport transfers is expensive so you will just need to catch a taxi from the airport.

Bad things I experienced in Mabuhay Manor are I advised front desk on our way out to MOA that we didn't have linens in the room. So when we return late at night and about to have showers I notice there were only 2 'hand towels'!!! So I told them there were 2 adults and 2 kids booked to stay in the room so we need 2 extra towels. So when housekeeping came to give the 2 bath towels they asking us to pay P60! I said hell no as this should have been provided!

The bathrooms are so small that you feel like you are in the toilets in the airplane and the doors to the shower/toilets looks like you are in a caravan. So small.

Then the complimentary slippers that was in the plastic were used!! Yuck!!

The only nice thing was the buffet breakfast as I love the traditional filipino food.

But other than that Mabuhay Manor did not leave us a good impression!

Room Tip: Book your stay instead to Microtel Inn MOA - you wont regret it!
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank Sabbylicious

Travellers are raving about these Pasay hotels

Chiang Mai, Thailand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2011

Nothing at all special and well over priced. We arrived early and of course there were only deluxe rooms available for an early check in at an extra 500 pesos. To their credit though, we were allowed the early check in. The deluxe room cost about 3 times what a similar room would cost in Bangkok. Manila is more expensive than Bangkok for hotels and you don’t get anything like the quality. Don’t expect much in the room. TV was an old style and no coffee making stuff and annoyingly no safety deposit box in the room. The room was big, but contained nothing much to fill the space except a horrible plastic couch. Shower was OK, but there were gaps in the air con unit through which mosquitoes wouldn’t have a hard time flying through. We had the room sprayed just in case. They have silly penny pinching policies like no extra toilet rolls which is really quite inconvenient.
The area you cannot even think of walking at night. Keep the taxi door locked daytime also as the area is famous for “snatching”. It is quite convenient for the airport. The staff were all very pleasant, but I wouldn’t stay there again or recommend the place as the place just doesn’t deserve the tariff they charge.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family