“yet again bert and marnet come up tops”

and 1 more site!
Drifters Apartel and British Bar
Ranked #18 of 52 Hotels in Davao City
Reviewed 2 January 2012

another great stay at drifters APARTEL,rooms cleaned everyday,kept spotless ,pool area spotless with nice cool pool to dip into all day..got a good rate for staying over 21 days.(the normal rate is best in the area for what you get).nice fully kitted out kitchen and great food in the bar if you do not fancy cooking. all in all 5/5 again...thanks for everything bert and marnet

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank richie5817

Reviewed 19 November 2011

5 star hotels take note

A few things that make this the best place in town

1. was not sure want dates a was arriving (reply :-we will keep your room I asked for open )
2. was messed around twice bye flight cancellations (reply :- text us when u set off and we will be there)
3. got into Davao and realise the bar and kitchen would be shut ,ask if I could shop off at the store for food and beers ( reply :- we have kept the kitchen and bar open for you )
4. my card didn’t work and had not cash (reply :- don’t worry sort it out tomorrow)

In fact I could go on and name at least another 20+ things that you would have to pay 4/5 star prices for and some that they would no entertain

If you wish to pay top prices and feel that you’re getting the service you paid and expected then there are plenty of hotels that will match your exact needs right down to the ocean viewed feng shui-ed .white fluffy slipper-ed newspaper fresh fruit in a basket thing all topped off a hit of cinnamon scented his and hers bathrobes

But if you want a home from home were everyone knows your name and you feel like a part of a family ,were they listen to your request not just write it down on a piece of paper .were there is a set menu
.but if you asked nicely they will make anything for you (fresh) not defrosted or from a pack or a tin
(fresh) and that goes for the ice cream too
Were if there is something wrong they will see to it, and if it can not but write immediately they will make sure you’re looked after while they do .
This is home and like a home it has its good and bad days, and I have yet to have had a bad day while I have been returning to little jewel. And if I every did I would more likely ask if they needed any help as this is my seconded home

With the new mega SM mall soon to open near-by it just gets better and better

Ps
I love the motorbikes you can rent so much so I am going to get my licence for next time to use them excellent idea one that I have never seen any 5 star establishment in any country that I have been to

Bert and Marnet thanks

Room Tip: try the fish and chips and home made tarter sc
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jit260
Reviewed 10 November 2011

We discovered this property by chance, I think I saw a sign for a British pub!.. well,, its small, a little hard to find, but seriously, once you are there, its just perfect to relax. very intimate, comfortable and FAB food.

to all trip readers and reviewers, READ THE TITLE, APARTEL, it does not claim to be a hotel or a resort, its exactly what it says.

I think my fav spot was infact the british pub down stairs, really authentic!...

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Cathaycaptain
Drifters Davao D, Owner at Drifters Apartel and British Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2011

Cathaycaptain
Many thanks for your review.
We have been in Hotels listing for more than 5 years, however October 2011 TA booted us out for no good reason.
Thanks to our friends and some help from a very kind lady from TA Singapore we have now been put back in Davao Hotel Listings.
We do our best to please our guests and again thanks. Bert & Marnet.

Reviewed 26 October 2011

Hi all well the first time we came to drifters was about 3 years ago we had a great time.
This time however was a different story, the noise level around this place was unbelievable.
Our room was at the front of the building,all night long we had dogs barking, people talking out the frontof the apartel.
And this time we did not realise how far away this place was from the malls etc,its a cab fare everytime you walk out the door.
Now for the good points the service is excellent the staff are brilliant it is comfortable,but becausei we did not sleep properly we wont be going back.

Room Tip: Back rooms only
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Robert W
Drifters Davao D, Owner at Drifters Apartel and British Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2011

Hello Robert.
Im sorry that you felt your room was too noisey, did you ask to change the room?
Drifters is in the same location as the last time you stayed 3 years ago, so I dont get your point on how far away from the malls we are. Davao City in terms of land mass is the second largest city in the world im told. So yes everything is far apart. SM Mall is right at the far end of the city, even I dont drive there. But however we now have 2 new malls very close by and early 2012 a new SM Mall within walking distance from Drifters.
Many thanks for your comment on the staff, they try hard and deserve a pat on the back.
Davao Bert Owner.

Reviewed 24 August 2011

We stayed here based on the reviews that we had read. The majority of them are correct. The location could be a bit hard to find but both Bert and Marnita helped us and we were even more impressed that they picked us up and also took us back to the airport.

The British basement pub was great, good cold beer and a nice atmosphere. Prices are a lot lower than elsewhere and the food was fantastic. In fact I was quite happy to stay there for all meals however my wife and her friends wanted to see a bit more of Davao, so we also tried other places around the city. But value for money, Drifters is streets ahead of the opposition.

The room we stayed in was good, perhaps not the top end when it comes to linen and quality of mattress but comfortable enough and we both got a good nights sleep. The A/C worked well and not over the top in amount of noise it produced. Just be careful when leaving the shower and into the bedroom as the floor can get a bit slippery when wet!

I had my swimming gear with me but never got to try out the pool. It looks ideal for if you just need a dip to cool off from the warm humid Davao days. Pity about that.

Im not too sure what Jack B is going on about in his review but we never experienced any of his negative comments whilst we stayed there. Perhaps Bert was correct with his 'whingers' comment.... as every time I saw Bert he was generally busy doing the little 'extra' things to each room to make guests stay that more enjoyable.

So to you the readers, all I can say is read all the reviews. You can please most of the people all of the time but you will never please all the people all the time..... as Bert and guests have stated, this is not a 5 star hotel. As a result you do not pay for those facilities that you probably wont use anyway!

If you want a quiet, inexpensive but clean place to stay, that is near to the airport then this is the one..... and its only half the tariff of say the Hotel Tropika (Which is nearby, and also a very nice place).

When I return to Davao, this is the only place I will stay at.... great value and thanks to Bert and his team!

Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BaghdadKiwi
Reviewed 7 August 2011

If you read the reviews posted you may find three negative reviews in about 35 total. That is expected as in reality you cant please everyone and some people are just hard to please. Plain and simple Drifters is not a big hotel it is more like a bed and breakfast with many benifits. They have around 6 rooms. All spacious with A/C, internet, cable/sat TV, hot cold shower, fridge with drinks, dinning table and most have cooking area. There is a nice small pool with a three dinning tables out side and plenty of chairs to enjoy your dinner or a drink. Downstairs is a perfect bar, with pool table, dart board and a section tucked away for dinning. There menu is more than would be expected with daily specials and weekend roasts. I also failed to mention there is a large BBQ out by the pool and if you speak with Marnita or Bert they are sure to let you use it.

This brings me to the next point, at what hotel would you ever speak directly with the owner? Here it is not uncomon to wake in the morning and find Bert the owner out and about making adjustments to something, not beacause it needs adjusting but simply b/c he is always trying to improve things weather it needs it or not. Bert and Marnita the owners have always gone out of there way to help from allowing us to have my wifes family over for a BBQ and swim, they even resrved a boat for us to go to Talikod island, they will pick you up and drop you of at the airport and have help with renting scooters as well. And yes if you enjoy a cocktail this is the place to do so, weather by the pool, in your room or down at the pub with Bert and some locals who enjoy stopping in for dinner. By the way dont pass up the chance to go to SABONG! look it up.

Drifters is great and we can not wait to return.
Dustin and May

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Dustin-and-May
Reviewed 27 July 2011

very loveley and nice apartel friendly owners nice staff the make you feel like you belong to the fameley house keepers are verry nice you can trust them room was alwys clean i recomended to all my friends meet some new friends there to, it was a verry pleasant stay for sure i come back, my wife and kids have great fun at the pool,gys hope to see you soon greetings ruud from holland and joice my wife thanks for the nice time.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family