“Nice food and place”

The French Baker
Ranked #374 of 791 Restaurants in Cebu City
Cuisines: French
Reviewed 24 February 2017

We were there about 1 pm on Wednesday with no line up,the place was clean,ambiance was nice,staffs were responsive,it took no more than 12 minutes to serve all our order,the food were above my expectation,price was reasonable.Would certainly be back again next time in Cebu.

Reviewed 27 December 2016 via mobile

This is not a recent review. This was on July 2016 at SM Cebu about past 2 in the afternoon. The place was not packed when I came to dine. The menu was okay, you have a lot of options but what was frustrating is that I changed order twice due to menu was not available. Dunno for what reason. The waiter was not that friendly but not that snob either. The food on the other hand was average. I do not like the taste of the bread.

Reviewed 27 November 2016

"I would like the soup in a bread bowl please"... "Sorry sir, we don't have the soup in a bread bowl"... "Okay, I will have the French Onion soup"... Sorry sir, we don't have the French Onion soup"... "I would like an Iced Tea please"... "Sorry sir, we don't have Iced Tea, we do have the Iced Mocha"...

I am not quite sure why Iced Mocha would be an acceptable alternative to Iced Tea, but there you go. Therein lie the ongoing frustrations I have had with The French Baker over several years now: the number of times they DON'T have what is listed on their menu.

Which is rather disappointing because what they do have is usually good and tasty - even as a second or third choice - albeit usually in relatively small servings.

Unusually for a non-fast food restaurant in the Philippines, ordering at the counter is the norm here unless you are a senior citizen. No big deal I guess but certainly different. At dinner time, the staff can be a little surly which is no doubt a function of a long shift and frustration with the oft repeated words "Sorry sir, we don't have..." Service is usually efficient from my experiences.

Servings could certainly do with being beefed up in size a little - very small in most cases is what I have found, especially their sandwiches which seem to take reference from a dainty English tea party size. Very okay for a light snack but hardly satisfactory for a lunch or dinner.

Overall good food let down by not all menu choices being available and inadequate portions for main meals.

Reviewed 24 July 2016

The French Baker is a great option for expats in Cebu or visitors, who want a taste of western food at a reasonable price. I always enjoy their hamburger steak, is more of an American style than what you might get at Jollibee. My daughter loves their macaroni and cheese with ham on top and we can also recommend the pork chops and grilled chicken with mango salsa.

A couple of things to be aware of. Despite the fact that there are menus on the tables, you have to go to the register to order. I ahve never understood this as table serice would be a big improvement here. Also, if you use a foreign credit card expect them to ask for ID.

Reviewed 7 February 2016

That was my first frustration with the French Bakery, they do not have everything that is on the menu. and I mean: a lot of it is not available. So you keep changing what you want to eat. One day it got so bad I left.

When you get what you order it is not very good. It is ok, but no more than that: Chili comes from a can or something, the meat is spongy,the roll is (Filipino sweet) and far from French. The tuna sandwich is ok, but small, not much tuna salad on it as well.

So looking at the prices I say it is poor quality and small portions for the prices they charge.

I do wonder if back in France they know the items the menu offers.