“my favourite filipino dish, like finding a jewel in an oasis”
Review of Kumira - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Kumira
Reviewed May 24, 2014

I stumbled onto this unpretentious restaurant a few years ago. I took a chance and tasted one of the most memorable dishes i have eaten anywhere

Kumira is situated in a quiet street only a few metres away from busy Salinas Drive, in Lahug (uptown Cebu city), opposite JY Square shopping mall. The restaurant is open air (roofed) and feels like an oasis in a very busy part of town.

On my first visit to Kumira i had my first experience of kinilaw. My mouth felt like an explosion of flavour - the combination of fish + coconut milk + garlic + ginger + chilli was perfectly balanced. It was both delicious & unforgettable. From that moment i could confidently proclaim that my favourite Filipino dish was kinilaw.

Subsequently, i couldn't resist kinilaw any time i found it on the menu of a restaurant in the Philippines. Although on occassion i experienced good kinilaw at other establishments, nothing ever matched that mouth watering burst of flavours that marked my original experience.

Last year i was able to return to Kumira, and the kinilaw was just as good as i remembered. I can now state, categorically, that my favourite Filipino dish is kinilaw, as served at Kumira restaurant in Lahug, Cebu city.

I also ordered the pineapple fried rice and tangigue. Both dishes were also very good. The menu also features a large range of seafood & other dishes, and a range of drinks. The beer is cold. The service is reasonable. The prices are good value.

1  Thank gregs3071