US$159
US$52
Cluj Apartments(Cluj-Napoca)
US$60
Hotel Transilvania(Cluj-Napoca)
All reviewshome from homewelcoming familycar rentala quiet residential areaa wonderful staya small family run hotelvegetarian restaurantvisit clujoutdoor gardencity centresmall pooleach morningenjoyed our staycommon areasbotanical gardensliving roomwalking distance
Reviewed July 19, 2017

Cluj was not on our itinerary....but we spent less time in Maramures because we wanted a more relaxing day driving to Sibiu.
Booked the day before our arrival...found Escala easily. Not only was our room pleasant...so was the living room, outdoor garden and location.
Claudia and Adrian are caring,informative and delightful hosts. They love what they do.
Suggestions for restaurant(ROATA IS terrific) and then the drive to Sibiu were spot on.

Would stay here again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed July 14, 2017 via mobile

This is small hotel within walking distance of the Old Town and central park. The owners were very friendly and helpful, giving us several suggestions about places to visit and where to eat out. The accommodation was spacious and very comfortable. Breakfasts were excellent. We would happily stay here again.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed June 25, 2017 via mobile

As always, my reviews are left to help other traveling business women decide where to stay in a strange new city.

I had to schedule a trip to Cluj-Napoca at the last minute, and this was one of the best reviewed and best priced hotels still available. I booked it for only one night, but after I arrived after my hectic trip and saw the place, I decided to extend my stay to three nights, which the proprietress was very helpful in arranging. (I sure value this kind of flexibility--I was in no mood to drag my bags from hotel to hotel!)

This place looks like it was once a duplex that has been converted into a hotel. It has common areas for relaxing with other guests, a bar, and a lovely garden with (!!) a basketball court, should you want to get your physical fitness in ;) There is also a small fitness room, but I was too busy walking around Cluj to bother with it.

My room overlooked the neighboring cemetery--and let's just say that the dead make the quietest neighbors. I woke up only to the happy sounds of birdsong each morning.

The nitty gritty:

The air conditioner worked perfectly to stave off the summer heat.

There isn't an elevator, but the owners will rush to heft your bags before you can pick them up.

My room lacked a desk for working, and the wifi was surprisingly poor for Romania, but I'd recommend you head to Enigma, a steampunk cafe downtown with good wifi and Amsterdam-style hot chocolate if you'd like to get work done--while seeing the city!

The area is very safe and walkable. The proprietress directed me on an evening walk to the local summit to catch a vista of the city sparkling at night. Many couples and families with children.

Also a nearby market if you should want for anything you cannot find on the property.

The family recipe condiments that sometimes appear with breakfast really make the meal!

If you do go, get a glass of wine from their bar and have a rest with it in the garden, something I regret not doing.

Would stay the again, definitely. Might even take the husband next time!

Stayed: June 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank Rachel N
Reviewed June 19, 2017

If location counts for anything, Escala has big advantages in the star category. When location is combined with a spacious living area, modern rooms with A/C, immaculate and modern en suite baths, a calming rear garden, wonderful breakfast spread, and caring attentive service that must be the signature of this family, a five star rating is easy to justify. It is in easy walking distance of the central park area of Cluj and an easy walk to Capriccio, a nice bistro with a large selection of nice drinks and comfort foods. It is also an easy and beautiful walk past a local park with a modern play set for children toward the Belvedere Hotel on top of the hill. We would happily stay there again on a return trip to Cluj and we thank Claudia and her family for their many courtesies and trouble to make our stay a very pleasant one.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed June 1, 2017

I spent nine days at the Villa-Hotel Escala and recommend it highly to anyone who prefers smaller, family-run hotels to large chain hotels. Escala is well situated in Cluj: it is easy to walk to the center of the city yet the location is in a quiet residential area, so it offers respite after a busy day of work or sightseeing. Adrian and his wife are welcoming, friendly, and very helpful. When the weather is nice, it's lovely to sit in the garden. It's a wonderful place to stay and I would not hesitate to do so again!

Room Tip: Small home away from home. Back rooms overlook garden. Internet access generally ok. Not ideal if climbing into tub/shower is a problem.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled on business