“Good first impression ruined by Soviet-style customer "service"” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Astrus

Hotel Astrus
Ranked #79 of 308 Hotels in Moscow
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Good first impression ruined by Soviet-style customer "service"”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2010

Closest Metro is Yugo-Zapadnaya, from where you can get a trolley-bus to the hotel (2 stops, but about 2 kilometres). I arrived at 10.30 am after an overnight flight from Hong Kong, to a warm welcome and immediate check-in. Front desk staff throughout my stay were pleasant and helpful. However, I had asked for a room with internet connection, and queried why I couldn't get it - turns out that you must be on the 9th or 10th floors for this (I was on 13th). The only choice was therefore to use the good WiFi reception in the lobby area, although the seats and tables are VERY low, whch doesn't help one's back. It's also not very private.

The first bad part was when I ordered a room service meal on my frst night - meal arrived and I went to sign for it to go on my room account, but the waitress insisted on a cash payment, backed up on the phone by the Restaurant Manager (?). I didn't have enough money on me, so was "escorted" to the ATM in the hotel lobby to make a cash withdrawal. Of course, by the time I got back to the room half the meal was cold. I've never previously struck a hotel which insisted on cash for room service.

The next day I wanted to change a 500 ruble note (about $22.50 NZ) - the front desk couldn't/wouldn't because they only carried a small float, so they suggested the lobby bar - the Manager laughed at me, said NO, and told me to go to the cash kiosk on the corner of the street! What sort of rubbish service is this? I got a far better reception from the young woman at the cash kiosk (these are all around the city and are very handy).

By now I'd had enough - I had been planning to stay there again when I returned to Moscow at the end of my holiday, but that certainly won't happen. To top it off, the hotel asks guests to complete a comment card for the General Manager and give it to them when checking out. They promise to email you with the response to your suggestions/complaints, etc. It's been two weeks now, and I've heard nothing, so that part is obviously nonsense too!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
      Sleep Quality
4 Thank CrikkitNZ
ASTRUS1, Manager at Hotel Astrus, responded to this review, 11 February 2011
Dear Tripadvisor user CrikkitNZ, on behalf of General Management of Astrus Moscow City Hotel we would like to say thank you for your review and evaluation. Your oppinion was 100% true and helped us to fix the problem of our staff who did not understand the meaning of good service. We are very sorry for the situation happened. We worked on our staff and operations and explained that every guest is a very important person. Thank you very much for your review and we promise to avoid mistakes in a future and hope to see you among our guests again.
Thank you very much.
With our best regards,
Astrus Moscow City Hotel management.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2010

The service is one of the worst i have seen in my life
Breakfast consists of stale bread and expired jam and rancid butter
The rooms are full of cockroaches
My advice, don't go there

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank coyips
Prague
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2009

My choice of the hotel in Moscow was determined strictly by the budget. I stayed in Moscow for 5 days and picked this hotel about a week before my arrival. I found interesting that August is not the season for packed hotels in Moscow and the rates for the hotels can be quite competitive.
Regarding the hotel itself - the food served for breakfast was great and fresh! It mattered a lot to me since you got to be cautious in a new country. The service was not excellent but good enough and I spent most of my time in town and it did not bother me a lot. The room was clean and neat, and the location was good enough when I found out that there were small shuttles driving around and picking up people on the street side whenever you wave to them and that was quick and I did not feel that the location was that bad. All in all, I would recommend this hotel to people looking for budget style but nice service hotel with a good breakfast.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank Lubava_v
Moscow, RUssia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2009

My business partners were staying at the hotel last week and I spent a great deal of time with them there which gave me a valuable chance to appreciate the service and the hotel at large. The receptionists' service made me a great impression on me with the hospitality and willingness to help, the food and restaurant service were nice, as well as the rooms, always neat and clean. I would consider the hotel as a great value for money.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank Vishastik
ASTRUS1, Valeria Maslova, marketing manager at Hotel Astrus, responded to this review, 23 September 2009
Dear Vishastik, thank you very much for your response. We are very appreciated.
We will be waiting for you among our guests again.
Thank you in advance.