All reviews upgraded to a suite the club lounge balcony door the hotel staff members wonderful stay lounge staff the hotel is conveniently located hotel is modern ihg member business traveler buffet dinner wifi coverage construction noise stayed here for nights chinese food high floor kunming city
Reviewed January 7, 2018

have stayed in this hotel during my business trip and will never do so again. rooms have smell, bed sheets are not really clean. breakfast is nothing special. Heating in the room is not good. Fine dining steak house is nothing special, except expensive.

Date of stay: December 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
BankHotel-Kunming, Public Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Kunming City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2018

Dear 2015_June,

Thank you for your stay and taking time writing such an extensive review on TA.

Your comments are definitely not the way we want our guests to feel as we love to offer memorable experience at Crowne Plaza Kunming City Centre. Complacency is certainly not an option and I shall ensure your constructive feedback is shared with all involved. Please accept our most sincere apology for not living up to your expectations this time.

Any additional comments or whenever you decided travel back, please feel free to contact me at faye.dai@ihg.com, it will be my pleasure to ensure things to be perfected and raised on your next visit.

Hopefully we can regain your trust one day in the not too distant future.

Warmest, PR Manager

Reviewed December 25, 2017 via mobile

Didn't expect too much after reading the reviews here, and found it wasn't so bad, partly because as an IHG club member there are some member privileges such as room upgrades and late checkout.
Room - superior room was sizeable, clean, good bathroom
Breakfast - poor options but not much choice as there were nothing else outside in nearby vicinity
Gym - decent sized, very clean
Location - average, just at the fringe of the city so it requires a 10-15min walk to the "downtown" or populous streets where food, restaurants and some (limited) shopping is possible.
However, it is about 7mins walk to subway station so it's not so bad, and 5mins to the bus stop that goes to Dianchi lake
Service - is quite friendly and helpful especially concierge
Overall it's very decent for the price.

Date of stay: October 2017
Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank WennieW
Reviewed December 9, 2017 via mobile

I have booked 8 rooms this week for 6 nights at the Crowne Plaza Kunming city center hotel, i booked it for me and my guests because i have spent time at this hotel in other countries and i had good experiences, SADLY this is by far the worst hotel experience i have had in my life.
The reception team dont speak English none of the 6 people working on the front desk! So each time we needed help or something we had to wait alot of time for them to bring someone who speaks 1% English! Rooms are really nice and comfy. I tried ordering room service and i was really hungry but none of the team working there speak English and didnt have a chance to order anything! The menu says that some food is 24 H available so i tried ordering it next day using a translation app to talk to the employees but they said none of this is available except 2 sandwiches.. The really bothering thing is that i asked to exchange some Usd to chinese currency but the hotel says we cant give you because we dont have alot of money which is weird for a 5 star hotel! Its reallyy sad and disappointing experience for me and im regretting booking 8 rooms at the hotel.
I have also asked for a non smoking room as i have allergy from cigarettes but the hotel said you must sleep for one night in the smoking room then we will change it for you next day but when i asked to change it they said we cant change it unless you pay a difference!??
I hope non of the people reading this or planning a visit to Kunming would avoid this hotel.
Only good thing was the supervisor of the reception which was helpful but sadly he is not working all the days

Date of stay: December 2017
Trip type: Travelled on business
BankHotel-Kunming, Public Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Kunming City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2017

Dear Hashem S,
Thank you for your stay with us and taking time to share this detailed feedback, of course I'm regret to read about your experience. I feel terribly sorry that you weren’t satisfied with our service. Please accept my most sincere apology for any inconvenience caused. Certainly not the hospitality we normally offer at Crowne Plaza Kunming City Centre. Rest assured that I shall ensure your feedback as a sharp reminder that complacency has no place at our hotel.
We will definitely investigate with relevant department to see how such situations can happen. Once again, please accept my most sincere apologies that we were unable to offer a memorable experience to you on this occasion.
As we would like to respond further to you personally regarding this matter, if possible, please contact me at my email: faye.dai@ihg.com.
Hope you will give us another chance to change your mind and I certainly look forward to your return.

Reviewed October 24, 2017

We stayed here for 9 nights in September in a small suite. The rooms were hot and the air conditioning was faulty. It was not possible to vary the temperature, airflow from the cooling outlet was very gentle even on the highest setting for the fan. The temperature inside the room was about the same as the outside temperature i.e. in the mid 20's. We requested and received a change of rooms. This was a higher standard suite 5 floors away but it still had the same problem. The air conditioning on their business centre floor where one of the hotel's restaurants is appeared to work well. I doubt this variation was accidental.
I also noticed that the pool area looked like it had had little attention for some considerable time; which might explain why it was closed.
In the suite we first had there was evidence of very sloppy maintenance. Cheap screws had been inserted in window frames to prevent an opening window from opening to far and they had also been used to replace a broken stop on the wardrobe doors. As a result the wardrobe doors kept on coming off their guides.
The hotel would be ok for a one night stay but not for much longer.
I would not recommend it. It is not a 4.5 star hotel despite its pretensions to the contrary.

Date of stay: September 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank GlenIris37

Dear GlenIris37,
Thank you for your review. First of all I'm very sorry to hear that some aspects of your Crowne Plaza Kunming experience fell short of expectation during your second visit. No excuse but we shall take the lesson as an opportunity to improve our cleanness standard and facilities. Your comments has been well communicated with our management team. Once again please accept my personal apology for the shortcomings you encountered.
As we would like to respond to you personally regarding this matter, could you please send us your email address and telephone details to faye.dai@ihg.com?
Let’s hope that you will give us another chance to regain the trust you put in us in the first place.

Reviewed October 23, 2017 via mobile

We stayed twice during our Yunnan tour. Hotel is modern well run and has a good club floor. Both days we were upgraded to suites and they were very nice. Only real downside is that there is construction noise from major subway being built. The hotel supplies earplugs which were fine for us but light sleepers beware

Date of stay: October 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank voyager52

Dear voyager52,
Thank you for your review on TA. Delighted to read that your overall experience was smooth, our rooms are comfortable and perfect for you. It would be nice if the review would end there. Very disappointed to read that the noise issue. Please accept my sincere apology for any inconvenience caused. Your constructive feedback has been discussed and reminded us all that complacency has no place in our business.
Still hope to welcoming you back very soon.