See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed March 4, 2018

EXPO GARDEN is not a bad hotel but its not a great hotel. The breakfast is free or added not sure, but its a bit expensive if you pay for it. Dinner is something like 140 rmb and it certainly a good dinner but not if your going to stay there a long time. It would be well worth it if you ventured down the hill into the little shopping area to find alternative options. The hotel has good tv.. with a few English channels including HBO Asia. The one thing I didn't like is the unenforced rules about smoking in designated areas..the rules are there but they (the people) either ignore the rules and/or they are not enforced especially in the elevators. The hotel does not have a lot of amenities.. and for that its not a good place for children. Staff and service is okay.. and the doors and hallways are not sound proof.. otherwise you can hear the drunk guy or guy on mobile walking down the hallway..

Date of stay: November 2017
Reviewed December 19, 2016

In Kunming for business, I had my booking made by our company. If the rooms are well designed, and the bed quite comfortable, I have to say this is not a hotel I shall visit again in the futur. It's almost impossible to find some staff member who could speak at least a little english.
During my stay, the outside temperature was quite low. And it was very cold everywhere in the hotel. Impossible to get a decent temperature in my room.
The lobby is huge... but empty, no seat, nothing to make you feel welcomed.
I had requested a non smoking room during the check-in and I got a room with bed sheets perfumed with cigarettes...

Date of stay: December 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed October 23, 2016 via mobile

As has already been said in other reviews, the AC is central and is turned off, though the weather is still warm. Yes I'm American, so I tend to run hot. It's 25 or so outside, but much warmer in the fifth floor. Opened the windows at night which had a thoughtful magnetic screen and sleeping was pleasant. But, the rooms are pretty warm. Apart from that, the rooms are very nice and comfortable. The bathroom is open marble and glass with many amenities available. Only one English tv channel.

The breakfast was expansive, but don't look for any western items, really. The cook to order Yunan noodle station was delicious!

All in all is stay here again. Good value. I'd just look for a cooler season for my stay.

Date of stay: October 2016
Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed May 4, 2016

The Expo Garden would be rated 4 stars except for one issue, that is prevalent in China.
Lack of English speaking staff... and when I say "English speaking", I'm especially concerned with comprehension or understanding what is said in English.
Other than that, its a really clean and good hotel to stay while in Kunming.
The famous Expo Garden is right across the hotel and the Exercise facilities are
great.
Staff is very polite and many use translation apps on their phones so its good to have one also so you can converse..
Enjoy...

Date of stay: November 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

Better rooms than the rating and what I had expected. Breakfast too was ok, not enough to select from I'm teens of fresh fruit but what they had was good. Yunnan is the real gem of china, to see kunming, xushuangbanba and surrounding areas is amazing and essential for any tourist. The local people are very relaxed happy and friendly, there's very little pollution and what you see is what you get. Arrange a guide, because if you can't speak mandarin then thus area hotels etc will be difficult and you'll be quickly frustrated and not get to experience the real tranquility. Also, go to the bird and plant market not far from the hotel and expo site, it was just totally amazing!!! Plays there's a huge traditional dance restaurant nearby which us essential. Sometimes you'd be ok to mistakenly think and feel you were in Thailand in this area.

Date of stay: July 2014