“Nothing "Grand" Here”

Ranked #33 of 2,351 Hotels in Hangzhou
Yeosu, South Korea
“Nothing "Grand" Here”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2010

The good:
- Early check-in possible.
- Late checkout possible without payment.

The bad:
- Old rooms.
- Extremely bad concierge service.

Together with my wife and our 20 month old daughter I stayed at Grand Metro Park Hotel for one night.

As several reviewers has written before there is nothing 5 stars about this hotel. At its best it just barely swings by 3 stars. And that’s just because of the pool which was decent.

Checking in was no problem and we could have the room already at 10 a.m. However they did demand a deposit of 150% of the total price for the complete stay.

The room was not particular good. They bare the signs of having been used for a long time without renovation.

Our real irritation with the hotel began when we need them to help us with some small things (which you would imagine a 5 stars hotel could do without problems and complains). We went from Shanghai by train and had return tickets. The return trip was however a bit late in the evening and we wanted to change our departure time. We asked the concierge if this was possible and was told that they did not know, but we should go by the train station. They did not suggest that they could call and ask for us. I know that bad service is the epitome of China but it shouldn’t be at a hotel claiming to be 5 stars.

We also asked them if they could post some postcards for us. We were told that we needed to put another 8 RMB stamp on each postcard. That was a bit hard for us to believe so we went by the post office and was told that there was sufficient postage on the postcards.

In the evening we wanted to go to a special restaurant (we had the address but not written in Chinese). So we asked the concierge if they could please tell the taxi driver where to go. After the guy had conferred with 4 other colleagues we were told that the restaurant did not exist and the name was just the name of the area. But they could recommend other restaurants in the area. In the end we decided to find the restaurant ourselves, which we did without any problems.

Would we go back to this hotel – definitely not.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
4 Thank mjallo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Berlin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2010

The Grand Metropark in Hanghzhou is a bright and friendly, comfortable hotel. It is a quarter's walk away from the beautiful West Lake of Hangzhou, situated very central. No problems to find taxis, they stop in front of the hotel’s main door. You just need to ask the concierge to write / or explain in Chinese where you want to go, otherwise there is no way to communicate with the driver. The reception is very helpful. The breakfast and food & beverage service must be great if you like Chinese food, if you prefer Western food I would rank it average.
The only negative point is the sports and recreation service. There is a pool on the roof top but it is totally neglegted as well as the fitness center. An employee is literally sleeping up there and that is really all he does. No service, no possiblity to enjoy yourself up there. The water quality must at least be all right since I didn't suffer from any allergic disease after swimming there.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2010

We stayed here on a guided tour of China for one night. The hotel is nice although I can't speak much about the area as we were in and out pretty quickly. The room was comfortable although the bed was very hard. I normally prefer a hard mattress but in this instance I was somewhat uncomfortable.

The breakfast buffet was good and the hotel was clean and in good condition. Nothing too extraordinary but nothing to seriously complain about. For what we needed it served its purpose.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
Shanghai
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2009

Hi, my wife and I just spent Tomb Cleaning weekend in HangZhou. The hotel is close to the West Lake - about 3 blocks away. That is the only positive. The rooms are so-so. The breakfast buffet is also so-so. Check-in was absolute chaos -- not organized at all. No English speaking TV stations - none (except for CCTV#). No AC! The bed was as hard as a saltine cracker - no Westin or Sofitel that's for sure. The concierge spoke no or little English. The price of room maybe ok, but if you are use to Western standards, stay away from this hotel. PS. Be careful with opening the windows if you have a baby or small child. An accident waiting to happen!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank VolinAsia
Porto
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2008

Stayed here for two nights in November 2008!

It's not a bad hotel, although it has classic / old furniture, but overall was clean!

A super large bed, and very confortable, free internet and the location too, make this hotel a good choice!

Negative aspects: very small bathroom, and the staff which was very young and abusive! They wanted tips at all costs! Happened to me two times with different employees!

But yes, I would definitely stay here again!

• Liked — Bed, free internet
  • Disliked — Staff and the very small bathroom
  • Stayed November 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
Scotland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2008

If you like sleaze then this is the hotel for you. Otherwise, don’t even think about booking. I came here for a conference but fled to the Shangri-La as soon as I could. The positive side of the Metropark is that it is cheap, but that is also its negative side. It is simply not possible to get anything close to five-star quality for £40-£50 a night, even in China. I should have known better. So what was wrong with the hotel? The hotel looks like a five-star hotel, but after 10 Minutes some problems appear. The rooms are OK, but some of the windows have never been cleaned. The food is disgusting. I got a mild form of food poising that could be blamed on the hotel food. I had the naivety to use the Health and Recreation Center for a sauna and a traditional Chinese massage after a long flight. The staff seemed astonished about these humble requests, because I presume the place is rather doing most of its business as a massage parlour. The dressing room is attended by sleazy men who try to help you undressing for a hefty tip they demand later. The massage is done by women. I presume I was assigned the only one actually doing a proper massage – and she was very good at it, but the other girls seem to be there for other types of services. If you like that you will be very pleased I suppose. Otherwise, fly and flee!

• Liked — It is cheap
  • Disliked — It is too cheap
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank Zwulf
hongkong
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2008

We stayed seven nights. When checking in, were forced to sign a deposit of 150% of our 7 nights stay!!!! Checked into newly renovated room at 17/F. Found a note saying hotel had taken pains to "treat" the toxic fumes as a result of "recent renovation." We switched on aircon full blast, then went for dinner. When we returned, central air con switched off, and the whole floor was eerily quiet. The fumes were terrible, and after 10 minutes, called to ask for air-con. My two kids were starting to cough. After 20 minutes, the lobby sent someone up to say "No, we cannot switch on the air-con, we can OPEN THE WINDOW for you. There was NO GRILL on the window!!! I said are you guys mad? Are they aware we have two little children? On the 17/F???
Went down to lobby again and demanded they change our room. A guy in charge showed me a shabby, noisy room on the 5/F, right next to the highway bordering the hotel! I said no, and asked for the upper floors which had not been renovated. Went to 19/F and the guy wasn' sure which rooms were occupied. He lied that all rooms were taken, but when I pushed several door bells, none responded. Finally, he put us in room in 19/F. The next morning, the deputy GM called to apologise and said we would be given a suite. I said really? In the end, they did not give us a suite but another room at the 20/F. For breakfast,, they wanted to charge the second person, even though the room came with bf for two!! The breakfast staff was rude and insisted they were right. After 20 minutes, they said they made a mistake, but did not even bother to apologise. I insisted on the apology. After that, she greeted me with a surly look for the next 6 breakfasts!

Don't even touch this place with a barge pole - stay away.

• Liked — The cleaniless
  • Disliked — Obnoxious, dishonest staff, unreasonable,excessive deposit and rooms not ready for rentng out.
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled on business