“Good location, complimentary breakfast, but avoid if you're a tech guy”

Hotel Active Hiroshima
Ranked #20 of 121 Hotels / Ryokan in Hiroshima
Hong Kong
“Good location, complimentary breakfast, but avoid if you're a tech guy”
Reviewed 1 April 2013

I read reviews on TripAdvisor and wonder why this mid-range hotel could make it to top of the list in Hiroshima, so i decided to try it myself.

In terms of room quality, I think there is no big difference between rooms offered by other Japan hotel chains with similar price range, such as APA, and DormyInn.

So what make this hotel out-perform other hotels in the same grade? I guess it's the general designs, atmosphere and the complimentary breakfast. The design of the lobby is definitely a more stylish/boutique type of lobby with good music. Also they placed a complimentary coffee machine on every floor, free coffee/chocolate 24hours! The breakfast is better than other chain like ToyokoInn, plus it's complimentary.

The onsen, I would say it's better-than-nothing type of onsen. It's really really small, and it like a warm water pool rather than a proper onsen. So if you're too busy to try the onsen, you've missed nothing.

Location-wise, it's good. It's right next to a streetcar station. You will use the streetcar a lot anyway - you will regret if you don't. And it's walkable distance from popular shopping/dining area.

But there is one thing that stop me from visiting this hotel again, it's the internet connection. I'm a freelance worker so I rely on the internet connection to make a living. They provide LAN cable only (no Wifi), which is fine to me because I carry my own portable router. What's killing me is that you cannot use SSH over its internet connection, that means I can't commit my code to github without doing tunnelling. I've never experience this in other hotels in a dozen of hotels i stay in past few weeks...

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank alan-hob

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Farnham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 March 2013

Our room was small but very clean, modern and elegant. The spa was very convenient and nice to have a bath before going to bed. Breakfast was fantastic. The location is very good, close to all the interesting places to visit. Staff was frienly and spoke good english.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank DamadelasUvas
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 1 November 2012

We stayed 3 nights in Acive! Hotel ib Hiroshima,and felt vey much at ease.
Its an elegant,even chic little place with a few designer touches here and there.Great lobby with attentive staff.There is no wifi in the rooms,but wifi devices work in the lobby and there are two computers there for guests use.
Rooms are nice,clean though on the small side,the enourmous office chair in it doesn`t help either.
There is a small japanese hot bath available for guests.
The hotel is centrally located near shopping galleries and a walking distance (or 3 stop tram ride) from the atomic bomb museums and dome.
Hotel Active!is so far the only hotel we stayed at during a month in Japan that offered a free breakfast buffet with both japanese and western dishes.
All in all for the price a very good value hotel.If ever im Hiroshima again,I would gladly return here.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank chehegi
New York City, New York
Reviewed 2 August 2012

I thought this hotel was fabulous.

The rooms are small - the bed took up most of the floor space, there was also a desk with mirror and chair squeezed in there, but I didn't spend much time at the hotel so didn't have a problem with that.

The breakfast was fabulous and included in the price, buffet style with a mix of both japanese and western foods (cereals).

There is a bus stop directly out front of the hotel which takes you everywhere you would want to go as a tourist in Hiroshima.

The website is in Japanese but you can send them an email (in English) to make a reservation.

I would definitely stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank T_A_H_85
Da Nang, Vietnam
Reviewed 24 June 2012

We've just stayed at the Hotel Active for 2 nights and I'd say it was the best of the hotels we stayed in during our trip. I'm a bit puzzled by the comments about the rooms being small, as they were bigger than the other 2 hotels we were at. It's in a great location, easy to get anywhere, breakfast is the best I've seen in a long time, so much choice. The hotel decor is really chic. There's free internet in the lobby with printing facilities (pay per page) and free coffee/tea/cocoa on each level. They also have washing machines and dryers (powder is free). Staff were very helpful - some more than others. I'd stay there again and I'd recommend it to friends.

Room Tip: We booked through the tourist information at the JR station on the day we arrived!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank WantokQueensland
Reviewed 8 January 2012

Was my third time in Hiroshima, second time staying at the hotel. The location was decent, wasn't that great but not that bad either. Rooms are decently clean like any of the business hotel chains in Japan like Toyoko Inn. However, the service is really really bad.

On the day I was supposed to check out, I woke up with very very bad stomach flu and was vomiting non-stop for over an hour or two. As such, when it was time to check out, the front desk called my room. I explained that I was sick and vomiting and needed some time, the guy just replied "one hour extra 1050 yen". I told him I just needed about 30 mins or so to try and stop vomiting, clean up the toilet, and carry my bags down, and I did not require a time extension. He replied "okay."

When I went down, he requested the 1050yen anyway, and looked like he won't allow me to check out unless I paid up.

I paid up anyway. Left my bags at the hotel and dashed to a nearby clinic to see the doctor immediately.

I will never, never, never, never, stay at this pathetic hotel again.

This is definitely the worst hotel in terms of service I have ever stayed in in my life so far. Even really cheap Hotel Chuo Group hotels near the Shinsekai area have way better service.

Pathetic.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
8 Thank RyuWorks
Adelaide
Reviewed 27 November 2011

We spent 4 nights at the Hotel Active! in October this year. Organising a booking was a little difficult as the website contains very little English and responses to emails were sometimes a bit slow. Anyway with the help of the Hiroshima Tourist Information Centre we got there eventually. The hotel is located about 3 tramstops from the Hiroshima Station. It's just off the main street and easily seen. The staff at reception were very pleasant and there was usually at least one staff member with a good command of English. The room with ensuite bathroom is not large but sufficient and coupled with a very good breakfast represented excellent value. It's a 10 minute walk to the main shopping precinct and about 25 minutes to the A-bomb dome and Peace Park or you can tram it. There is a river about 5 minutes away with some cafe/wine bars which is a nice way of watching a bit of the world go by. If you have time ,a visit to Miyajima Island is a must as is a meal of Okonomi Yaki.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple