“limited vegetarian option + a bit pricey”
Review of Biotei

Biotei
Ranked #365 of 14,316 Restaurants in Kyoto
Neighbourhood: City Centre
Neighbourhood: City Centre
Reviewed December 11, 2016

This restaurant is situated at the junction of Sanjo-dori and Higashinotoin-dori, on the 2F up a spiral staircase, it is a very cramped place but good atmosphere.
A bit disappointed to see limited option for vegetarian in the menu, and it costs extra 200yen for veg option. The vegetarian dinner set was 1495yen, a bit pricey, food portion was large tough. The set meal included brown rice, miso soup, a side dish, a bowl of salad, a cup of hot green tea. The main dish was a large volume of fresh veggie salad with 2 pieces of tofu. Very healthy and good taste. However, the next time I would rather go Mumokuteki cafe, which is about 10 min walking distance away, for more veg options at a fair price.
By the way, it is banned to take picture on the menu.

Reviewed October 26, 2016

This was a great place to have a delicious vegetarian meal in Japan! The restaurant is small but we were seated right away. The menu is fairly clear though there are items that use fish broth so when I ordered the set menu as a vegetarian, I got different items than were on the menu/that my husband got. It was all really great and he really enjoyed it as well. They do use a number of fake meat products, which usually are not my favorite, but were prepared well. It was really nice to have a vegetarian meal that was still Japanese inspired, in a comfortable atmosphere with friendly staff. Highly recommended!

1  Thank keelinblaithp
Reviewed July 1, 2016 via mobile

I went here with my brother for dinner and we had the fixed menu which had four courses and was delicious for only about $13! No, this is not a 100% veggie restaurant, but they have all healthy options and excellent tofu. The atmosphere is very relaxing and it feels like a small hippy joint. The waitress was very friendly and spoke English fairly well. The homemade ume sake was also AMAZING! best sake I have ever had. Try it

Reviewed June 21, 2016 via mobile

Great food, I am a vegetarian and was suffering because of the lack of good options in Kyoto
My boyfriend eats meat but also enjoyed the food
The place is small but makes it cosy
The personal is really friendly and make a big effort to explain in English
The menu is also on English
Don't forget to try the sake with fruits ... Delicious

Reviewed May 6, 2016 via mobile

If you have a chance you must go to this restaurant. The food is really delicious, great quality & as a meat lover I didn't miss the meat one bit!

It's really flavoursome & great value for money. We went for dinner & I even bought some of there homemade biscuits as a snack for the next day which were also delicious :)