“Taste the Aburi-mochi!”
Review of Imamiya Shrine

Imamiya Shrine
Ranked #95 of 1,364 things to do in Kyoto
Reviewed June 10, 2015

I went in while walking around, because I was impressed by the beauty of the entrance. When I was in I realized that I had already visited it to have aburi-mochi in one of the two shops you can find in the street on the right after entering by the main gate. Try it!

All reviews
"aburi"
"stone"
"sacred"
"shrine"
in 13 reviews
"attractions"

Reviewed June 5, 2015

Here are the reasons why a visit to this out of the way Shinto shrine is merited: 1. The site is intensely beautiful. 2 . The place is not overrun by tourists. 3. It feels like sacred space.

1  Thank MDarrah
Reviewed April 1, 2015

We stumbled upon Imamiya Shrine while making our way to the more popular Daitokuji complex. The way to Imamiya Shrine is beautiful, you cross a trail of bamboo trees. The shrine itself is gorgeous - doesn't look like it's frequented by too many tourists, it looks more like a place frequented by worshippers, so there is a peace and tranquility about it. It's worth a visit.

Reviewed December 27, 2014

We literally stumbled across this shrine while walking to another and I am glad I did. Wonderful buildings, small and tightly contained and very few tourists, there is a real sense of retained purpose in this shrine. If you have time for one more temple or shrine I would recommend this one.

See more reviews
Reviewed July 2, 2010

Foreigner-friendly tourist attraction. They have maps in English and even a website in English. Great location. Easily accessible by bus. Just get off city bus # 46 at Imamiya Jinja Mae. The stop is right in front of the enormous main gate. Lots of beautiful nature including a bamboo forest surrounding the nearby Daitokuji Temple.
This shrine is famous for Tama no Koshi amulets, which help the owner "get" a rich man (or even a rich lady). I heard it's very popular with women recently.
Next to the gate, there are two very famous mochi (Japanese rice-cake) shops. Both have been around for hundreds of years. I was able to take some AMAZING photos, buy some great gifts and eat some traditional Japanese sweets all at the same place. No more than a 5-second walk from the bus stop. Check out the homepage and see some of the amazing photos. www.imamiyajinja.org

2  Thank Shrine_Hunter