All reviewsprivacy curtainscommon roomnoodlescommon area upstairsgreat locationfree breakfasttea and coffeequiet streetdormbackpackershostelgeishagionbedsfloorwifitoilet
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Stayed in a 10 bunk mixed dorm. For the location and amenities you can't beat the price. A quick walk to all the gorgeous temples in Southern Higashiyama region and you're also a quick walk to the nightlife and restaurants of Gion. The lounge area in nicely set up for a friendly atmosphere with beers and snacks for sale and coffee and tea free of charge. The staff is very friendly and helpful too.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Stephen S
Reviewed July 16, 2013

I stayed here with two of my friends who were visiting from outside Japan and A- yado was recommended to me by another English teacher who had stayed in the hostel a few months previous.
The setup is great. Having the showers in the men's dormitory while keeping the bathrooms in a separate but convenient section was a big plus. It's nice to not have to worry about preparing for your day in a general mixed-geneder area. The AC was amazing! Being that we were there while the area was setting record highs, it was nice that the staff didn't crank down the AC to save money.
The lounge area provided an excellent place to relax before and after our travels around Kyoto and it almost goes without saying that the hostel is perfectly located in the city. Because of the relaxed nature of the lounge, most of the guests relaxed in the area which made for amazing conversation with backpackers both local to Japan and folks from all over the world coming to see the beauty of Kyoto.
The staff was very kind and extremely helpful, looking up things from parking for my car to places to eat to helping us find a good deal on karaoke!
Next time I'm in Kyoto you can bet I'll stay here again.

Room Tip: Choose an a bunk close to the AC :)
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Stayed here for three nights in the 10-bed dorm room. We checked in quite early after an overnight bus trip, but were able to store our bags, shower, and change before exploring Kyoto for the day. It's in a great spot in the Gion district, close to some beautiful old streets and the famous Geisha area. Walking back one night, we were able to spot through a window a true Geisha entertaining at a dinner party! There are plenty of little restaurants around, or you can walk across the bridge to the main part of the city, about a 10-15 minute walk to the big shopping and restaurant areas. The hostel was very clean. The beds were in bunks but each bunk had privacy curtains around them, which was great. There were two showers, a toilet, and two sinks all very clean and kept up daily. They also had two public computers for use right in the room. The only negative was that the mattresses were SUPER thin. They were just on top of a wooden board so it would actually make my hips sore to sleep on my side. Also, on the weekends they are right next to a small club in the same building, so it can be hard to sleep with loud music coming through the walls until 2 am. However, for the price we paid this was one of the cheapest hostels in Japan, and it was still good value. They had a nice common room upstairs with free breakfast, a TV, lots of guidebooks and maps, a nice table, and some snacks that were cheap and paid for by an honesty box. For the price and the location we were very happy with our stay.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights, very good location, dorms bed here are great, curtains around the bed gives you the privacy you need. I am also pleased with how the hostel staff took time to explain to us the do and donts, their advise was most valuable to me. This hostel is located very closed by to everything, Gion and train stations are all within 5 to 10 mins walk! Their shower facilities were great, most pleased with not needing to walk out of the dorm for showers especially when the weather is cold. They also have dedicated 2 toilet each for female and male which I find that's helpful too. Wifi coverage in the dorm were very good too, can surf in bed! I would definitely recommend Ayado to any backpackers travellers and believe I'll be returning to Kyoto again very soon!

Room Tip: To get to Ayado from Kyoto station, go to bus stop # 206 and get down at Gion station, bus fare at ¥220 or if you arrive at Kyoto early, go get the 1 day pass that cost 500 which allows you to unlimited bus ride around Kyoto town area, very good deal as every ride no matter how many stop it'll cost ¥220. You can enquire for the card at the Kyoto station info centre, they are English friendly.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed February 21, 2013

I love the way the staff member took the time to tell us where to go and how to get there. He gave us some good pointers where to go and what to see not just very touristic places but also some smaller places but amazing. The best hostels I've been to in Japan so far for sure!

Room Tip: easy you just got one dorm for women so any bed in there is fine, it is so quiet at night that either bed should be fine.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends