“No hospitality”

Hotel New Hankyu Kyoto
Ranked #83 of 405 Hotels / Ryokan in Kyoto
Reviewed 9 June 2010

We have traveled throughout Japan from 19th May to 2nd June. We were really enthralled by the Japanese hospitality everywhere. We stayed at Hotel New Hankyu Kyoto for 2 days. Japanese hospitality was missing there. The receptionists and the restaurant people were rude and harsh.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family

An Agoda Traveller
Reviewed 3 February 2009

• Stayed: February 2009
Reviewed 26 June 2006

The hotel is far from new, although the position is good if you want to explore Kyoto and of course travel to other Japanese destinations via the train. However the rooms are worn and a little disappointing compared to other Japanese hotels we stayed in. In the rooms there was no english tea available and you had to buy the coffee, whilst Japanese and chinese tea was free, which we felt was geared to getting the tourists to pay extra! a little exploitation maybe!

Also and I know this was maybe a little sad but there were no English speaking channels on the TV at all - yes yes I know! but believe me after you have been in Japan for a week you do crave a little of you own language for comfort - or maybe I felt homesick!

We were checked in to a 2 x single bedded room which was wrong and no effort was made to correct this when we complained.

The staff were very helpful and the breakfast OK, but the general feel of the hotel felt a little dirty and old, especially as the general Japanese standard was excellent, this hotel was not as good and I would not recommend it.

• Stayed: March 2006
4  Thank Victoria399
Reviewed 28 April 2006

This was not a great place for non Japanese speaking tourists. This hotel was old and dirty. When we checked in they gave us breakfast coupons for the three days we were staying which I thought was nice until they called our room and asked for them back saying they were given in error. Any other hotel would have chalked it up to their mistake and not said a word. Luckily my mother is Japanese so she could read the message they sent to me one day written completely in Japanese! I also noticed a group of Japanese coming into the hotel one day and a doorman opening the door as well as a hotel staffer greeting them. I found this odd as we never had anyone even acknowledge us as we came into the hotel. I was with my 24 year old daughter and my 63 year old mother and all three of us felt that the hotel was dirty and unfriendly. The only positive I can say is that the hotel is conveniently located across from the train station; however, there were other nicer hotels nearby. We definitely would have changed except we were on a tour package.

• Stayed: April 2006
3  Thank Patricia L
Reviewed 8 May 2005

The New Hankyu Kyoto is definitely convenient to the Kyoto JR Train Station. It's literally across the street, separated only by the bus terminal and taxi stations. However, the service and upkeep of this hotel were not nearly on par with Japanese standards. Security consious folks might take note that the hotel still uses 'regular' keys for doors, not keycards.

Upon arrival, we were overwhelmed by the smoke smell in the lobby, which continued in the elevator and throughout our non-smoking floor. More than that, the customary enthusiastic greeting from Japanese hotel staff was noticably absent. The hotel room was small, which is expected in Asia. However the walls were paper thin, the matress was in need of replacement, and the entire room and floor were just plain 'worn'. This is clearly a very popular spot with tour groups, who spend short amounts of time and abuse the hotel accordingly.

I spent one night here, and would have immediately changed hotels had I been booked for a longer stay. To give US travelers an image: Red Roof Inn. We had a room rate of $91 through a discount website. I will not stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2005, travelled on business
4  Thank globaltiger
Reviewed 30 March 2005

We spent 8 days in Japan. Three nights were in Kyoto at the New Hankyu. The hotel is a good size and located across the street from the Kyoto bus terminal, the Japan Rail Kyoto Station, the Tourist Information Center for Kyoto and a huge department store complex that has a spectacular veggie and sushi and sake section on the two bottom floors and an entire floor of restaurants.
They had king non-smoking rooms and the staff spoke English and the service was just super. We would recommend it to family and friends. On top of all that it was extremely reasonably priced because they included continental breakfast for 158,000 JP!

• Stayed: March 2005