“Luxury Kyoto base for sightseeing”

Hyatt Regency Kyoto
Ranked #9 of 406 Hotels / Ryokan in Kyoto
Reviewed 19 July 2011

We stayed at Hyatt Regency Kyoto for a couple of days on our honeymoon. We absolutely loved it. The hotel was beautiful, the room was luxury and the staff couldn't have been nicer or more helpful. We found the hotel quite easily taking the bus from Kyoto train station and from there it was easy to access the Kyoto sights via the bus. The hotel restaurants are expensive but the food is delicious and otherwise there is plenty of other restaurants in the area and surrounds.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,512)

Reviewed 6 July 2011

I'm a travel agent and over the years I have stayed in many 5 star hotels. I don't like the mediocre.
With me it's like this: either 5 star hotels or camping.

Hyatt Regency in Kyoto, have surpassed all of my expectations.
It features a simple elegance without being pompous and over bearing.

From the moment that you step into their lobby, the hotel staff makes you very welcome and makes you feel like a family.

Ken (the general manager) and his staff makes your stay excellent!

The hotel is in a low rise building, which is a very rare find, in Japan.
It's smaller size does allow the staff to get to know you and makes every detail of your stay very enjoyable.

The room design has a very simple lines and goes with the Japanese tradition and feel of relaxation.
Everything is spotlessly clean and in great working order.

I have seen there an attention to details, that I have never seen in any other hotels.
For example: there is an electrical outlet in the in room's safe, so one does not need to worry,if one needs to charge an expensive phone or an ipod, as they all will fit in the safe.
The safe was even large enough to store my Burberry purse (not like I would not trust to leave these things out in the open in the room,at this hotel).
The bathroom features a traditional Japanese shower (with a wooden bench to sit on) and an great deep bath, that I have enjoyed soaking my tired (from all day touring) body in.
The food at this hotel is excellent and I can only compare the quality, choice and the presentation to my local Relais & Chateau - Langdon Hall (#2 restaurant in Canada and
# 77 in the world).
The waiting staff is amazing and they would grant your every wish, with a smile. Especially great was our waiter form Nepal Mr. Lama.

Some may say, that the hotel is a little bit far from the Kyoto city center, it wasn't far at all and one afternoon I have enjoyed so much a lively walk by a river all the way from the old bridge, in the old Kyoto. If someone doesn't like to walk, there is a subway station, just 7 minutes walk away and all it takes is 3 subway stations to get near the Hyatt.
I would encourage everyone to walk, as you can see some beautiful sites along the river and many birds, including several cranes.
On this trip, we have stayed at 4 other hotels and although all were fine, only the Hyatt Kyoto left me with live lasting memories.

Domo Arigato Ken and everyone working at this magical place.
Thanks for all of your hard work!

I can not wait to stay with you guys, again.

Greetings from Waterloo, Canada :)

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank AnitAinTravel
Reviewed 17 June 2011

I signed up for Hyatt loyalty points years ago so dusted it off when I came to Japan and stayed in a couple. This one was actually very reasonably priced for what it is (though breakfast was extra- and expensive- in the deal we went for). Like everywhere in Japan the service was excellent (though the Hyatts do this particularly well, the Sheraton we stayed at in Osaka was a lot less good). Nice gym, free to use but you did have to pay extra for internet (LAN rather than wireless). I think it may have been low-ish season as we got a few vouchers like a free glass of champagne and restaurant discounts (though we didn't use the restaurants as there's cheaper stuff in town).

It's easy walking distance to many of the temples and shrines but a bit more of a trek into the lively nightlife area but there is a bus stop and taxi rank by the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 June 2011

The Regency Hyatt in Kyoto is certainly not a "low budget" location, altough they have some very good offers from time to time. The rooms are fatastic and the breakfast is excellent. Just step out of the hotel and you can visit Kyoto's museum and the "Sanjusanmaido" temple.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 June 2011

We stayed in Kyoto for over a week and stayed at 2 hotels. The first hotel was in an excellent location, recommended by a tour company, literally a crosswalk away from the train station. From my hotel window, I could see the bullet trains coming in out out of the station. That is the extent of what I can say about this hotel; it completely underwhelmed me. The balance of our stay was at the Hyatt Regency Kyoto. My, this was an absolutely beautiful and stunningly classy hotel. It was beautiful and the service was flawless. Check in was accurate and took a total of 5 minutes. Our bags were wisked up to our room and the rooms were beautiful. The bathrooms were amazing too. The location is good for seeing the sites directly around the hotel but it was much more difficult to connect to anywhere else you may want to go. Wifi was available in the lobby but not in the room.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 June 2011

just returning fronm a three-night stay at hyatt regency kyoto. it:s a delightful hotel, a short taxi ride from the main station. the japanese garden is a particular treat. rooms are tastefully decorated in unostentatious style and the service is very good. the general manager, ken yokoyama, is exceptional. he organised a day trip around kyoto, that managed to fit in perfectly to a very busy schedule, and also provided expert recommendations on food and similar. first class. my only recommendation is for wi-fi in all rooms.

Room Tip: ask for a room overlooking the japanese garden
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank pickyfella
Reviewed 22 May 2011

My wife and I just came back from staying at the Hyatt Regency Kyoto for a couple nights. I have never seen such incredible service in my life. We arrived around 12:45 or so and pre registered with a wonderful lady for which I cannot remember her name. They have small name tags. She found us an amazing room on the 4th floor toward the end of the hallway with a view of their Japanese garden. She was so patient with my wife and I going over places to see, things to do, bus system etc. Our room was ready at 1:30 and they came out with the keys and escorted us to our room where they bags were already delivered. The gentleman who again can’t remember his name was so thorough. He showed us all the amenities of the room, switches everything. These two individuals are amazing and I hope the GM realizes they are true asset to the hotel. When you arrive they are at the door to welcome you, take your bags wait with you. Every morning they would great us good morning by name always escorted you out and greeted you. Only negative is one of the concierges with shorter hair seemed to give the impression of being bothered when we asked her for information during our stay. We always got what we needed though and they have ample printed information. The restaurants are on the pricy side and the location doesn’t give you a lot of options for dining in the area. The location is next to several temples and shrines and easy access to the bus stop. The rooms are amazing. The touches are perfect; lighting is great, except for the desk area. The bathrooms are just wonderful. They are big, clean, separate toilet area. Only weird thing is the glass into the bedroom from the shower. Love all the light switches being next to the bed. Best thing is when you first open your room there is a slot for your key, place it in and the lights all turn on, remove it and about 15 seconds later they turn off. Amazing hotel.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple