“Great Japanese-style hotel...would stay again”
Review of Hotel Il Monte

Hotel Il Monte
Ranked #121 of 321 Hotels / Ryokan in Osaka
Reviewed 20 November 2011

Il Monte was recommended by Kayak and its price and location were the main factors in choosing this hotel with my friend. Even though I live in Japan, I'm always a little worried about staying in a Japanese-style hotel given I'm more accustomed to Western standards. This hotel did not disappoint me at all and I would gladly stay there again.

As other reviewers have mentioned, it's in a great location, but is not necessarily easy to find. Luckily I use an iPhone and was able to navigate our way from Umeda station to the hotel with relative ease. Once my friend and I got the hang of it, though, it's really very convenient. The building that houses the hotel is essentially in the heart of one of Osaka's nightlife areas. Admittedly, though, the gay area accounts for a large portion of this nightlife, though it is very low-key and would go unnoticed to the uninitiated. There are multiple shopping and dining venues within easy reach, frequented by locals. I always assume this to be a good thing. I did, however, dislike the ease of access to the hotel for non-guests. As noted in other reviews, the hotel occupies the 3rd to 9th(?) floors of the building, with elevator access available at street level to anyone. That was a little disconcerting, but Japan is notoriously safe, and this really wasn't *that* much of a concern.

My friend and I reserved a double room (two singles) and were pleasantly surprised at the size of the room. Most Japanese hotel rooms are slightly larger than a postage stamp, but this room had plenty of room for luggage stowage as well as a desk area. The bathroom was quite large by Japanese standards. The ceiling in the shower area, though, was very low and I barely fit even though I'm just 5'8''. Anyone of above average height may have some trouble with the height of the shower fixtures and the low ceiling.

Our room faced the freeway and the busy intersection just below. The lights at night were beautiful and, despite what other reviews may say, we didn't hear any noise from the street nor from other rooms. Though, we were on the 9th floor so this may account for that.

My only complaint about the room was that the beds were a bit hard and the pillows were very thin. Otherwise, I thought the room was great.

The night of our arrival, I asked the front desk staff for a recommendation of a good okonomiyaki restaurant nearby. The staff were very helpful and directed us to a restaurant a few short blocks away. Their recommendation was amazing and we had the best okonomiyaki ever. Turns out this same place was recommended by a Japanese friend of mine, too, but we didn't know it at the time. Though, I'll warn you that English is not spoken at this hotel, so I'd recommend anybody looking to stay here have some working knowledge of Japanese or be really good at charades.

We did not partake in the breakfast that was available for about ¥1,000, but we did purchase discounted aquarium tickets through the front desk, which was a great idea.

Overall, this was a great stay for a weekend getaway. I'd definitely return and would recommend it to friends.

Room Tip: I think a room on a higher floor may alleviate some of the noise issues other reviewers have mention...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank WOPDingo
There are newer reviews for Hotel Il Monte

Reviewed 8 March 2010

Good location near Umeda station, clean room, and clean and not small bathroom. Breakfast is available at the hotel but you would have to pay separately.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled solo