“Lovely staff, great hostel.”

Reggae 1 Guest House
Reviewed 17 August 2011

Stayed here for 4 nights with a friend. Immediately really pleased with cleanliness and friendliness in the hostel. Breakfast is basic but does the job - can't complain at this price - and tea&coffee are available all the time. A/C and fan keep rooms cool enough to sleep, if a little noisy. Free wifi, computers available and a lounge area with tv dvds and a bookshelf all at your disposal! Guest house is well signposted and easy to find from Pasar Seni / Central Market, right on the edge of Petaling Street, the main road of Chinatown - great location. Staff enthusiastic and more than happy to answer any questions you may have. Really recommend this hostel.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends

Reviewed 17 August 2011

My friend and I stayed here for four nights in a private twin room, our first time in Malaysia and Asia. We were both very happy! The staff were fantastic, always friendly, helpful, happy to answer questions and ask how your day was. The room itself was an ok size, beds comfy enough, air con, but no windows. There is free wifi & free internet access, breakfast (toast & coffee - did the trick for us!) runs till 11ish which is great if you want a sleep in. The common room is nice and there is a tv/dvds if you want to chill. The location is brilliant, you walk out the door and you are literally on the Chinatown markets, which means all the best food you can eat is at your fingertips, close to RapidKL station which can get you everywhere in KL. The only problems I experienced here was yes, it is definitely noisy at night from the bar downstairs, but I put in earplugs and slept fine. Also one morning when the showers/toilets (they are combined) were full and I had to wait quite a while for one. But we loved it, I would definitely recommend this place!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank NephOzB
Reviewed 26 July 2011

We stayed at the Reggae Guest House for two nights and were unable to sleep either night. The guesthouse is right above a club which pumps the base until 3AM everyday of the week. If you plan on partying every night and then crashing at 3AM, this would be an excellent place to stay. If your travel plans involve sleeping or waking up early, I would highly discourage a visit to this guesthouse.

The guesthouse is very clean and the staff are nice. The room includes wifi, towels, blankets, ac, breakfast, and hot showers. If you're a party traveler stay at Reggae Guesthouse 1. If you're not in Malaysia to party, try out Reggae Guesthouse 2.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nosearg
Reviewed 26 April 2011

Very clean with good facilities and a great location. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Could hear very little noise in our room. It was great to have a small kitchen with access to hot and cold drinking water throughout the day. Unfortunately the majority of the rooms did not have windows.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 April 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed in one of the bunk rooms which was very tiny but all we needed. The shared bathrooms were always clean and there was plenty of hot water, although with the heat of KL we opted for cool showers! The airconditioning in the hostel was great and we slept quite comfortably with the fan on. The staff were amazingly friendly and very helpful! The bar downstairs was a good place to have a bite to eat and a drink! It was easy to get to via public transport as we flew into the LCCT airport and got the skybus to KL Sentral then one stop to the hotel on the train. Definitely great value for money.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bec-and-Rudi
Reviewed 11 April 2011

I stayed her for a night in the mixed dorm. The solitary A/C in the room for 6 people was on but not blowing cold air even though the remote showed 18 degrees or so. There was a small moving wall fan below the vents of the A/C mounted over the door which was pushing air to the left and right. WIth the badly functioning A/C the room felt like a furnace. I stay in Mumbai so I know what heat+humidity is like. This was very bad.

Also, the mixed dorm room was cramped. I could not fit head to toe in the bunk bed. Every time the guy in the bed below moved, the bunk bed would creak and disturb everyone's sleep/

I got out of the room at 5 am as I simply could not continue the tossing and turning. The lady at the reception helped by giving me a dedicated room to myself as it had just got free. I appreciate that one thing at this place.

I subsequently stayed at another guest house on my back to KL after I visited other parts of Malaysia. They have easily 50-60% more value (separate beds, not bunk beds, working A/Cs and plush rooms) at probably 10-15% higher rates if you consider dorms.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 March 2011

I ve been to raggae 2, that is from the same guys and just across the road, the cleanest hostel i ever been in my entire travel history! very friendly and helpful staff, very good internet connection, the only miss is the air conditioning. if outside you are happily walking with ur shorts and a tshirt, in the hostel you need to get gloves! and the rooms too! but overall, great place. i tried to go back before leaving asia and it was packed :(

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo