“Great Value for Money”

Berjaya Times Square Hotel, Kuala Lumpur
Ranked #61 of 347 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed 19 April 2012

The hotel is located right smack in the middle of everything. The hotel is very accessible by any public transport and all cab drivers know exactly where it is. There is a mall downstairs and also just a few minutes away from the rest of the other commercial establishments in the city.

The hotel has a simple yet elegant lobby. The receptionists are highly trained and generally very helpful.

The rooms are huge and are impeccably clean. Just make sure that you get a room on the West side because it'll take you about 10 minutes just to get to the East side. You'll have to take the lift from the main lobby to the 15th floor and take the bridgeway to the east tower elevator.

I also felt very secure in this hotel knowing that you have to swipe your card key to get to the floor where your hotel room is.

I also absolutely loved their breakfast. They serve mostly American-style food-a welcome break from the usual spicy Malaysian food you'd get outside.

The only problem I had in this hotel was their poor room service. I requested for an adapter for my electronic devices and it got to my room 6 hours later! I had to call their attendants thrice and spoke to a manager twice just to have someone deliver the item I requested.

Other than that, my stay was pleasant! I'd probably stay in this hotel again when I go back to Kuala Lumpur.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
AdrianChung, General Manager at Berjaya Times Square Hotel, Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2012

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your kind comments during your last stay with us at Berjaya Times Square Hotel Kuala Lumpur.

With regards to your kind comment on room service, I have shared that with my fellow respective team members and they are well-brief on the issue encountered by yourself. Rest assured that we take your dissatisfaction very seriously on this.

I apologize again for the shortfall in service or distress you may have suffered due to the shortcomings while you were enjoying your stay with us. I hope that your future stay with us will be a fine memorable experience.

Reviewed 18 April 2012

I should have taken more notice at check-in.... as there was a few people making complaints...

I booked this hotel on recommendation of a friend, and the room was lovely as was close proximity of shopping. We were having only one night in KL in order to catch up on sleep - had been travelling over 24 hours on 3 flights and wanted to refresh before final flight home.

Okay... check-in. I had to wait in a line as there were several people complaining ahead of me. I didn't really pay much attention as I was rather sleepy. Finally, I get to the front.. to be told that only one of our rooms was ready and to come back in a couple of hours for the second. So there went our plan of hot showers each before getting something to eat. Still, these things happen.... (even though we booked with check-in time over 6 months ago) so we went and grabbed some food (handy food options in shopping tower!). Came back and room was ready. I noticed it wasn't on the same floor as our other room and asked about this. Was told that only one of the specific types of rooms we had booked (studio) was on each floor so I had to be a couple of floors below. Again, was disappointed but thought these things happen. Went to room and noticed it was a lot larger than our other. But I didn't really care - I just wanted a hot shower and bed before our early morning flight.
Just dozing off to sleep when I get a call from reception. I am told my room was upgraded (yes, I had noticed it was bigger thank you) but that my younger companion needed to move room next to me. Apparently I should have been in the room next to her (oh, thought there was only one each floor...) but housekeeping hadn't got it ready so they upgraded me but now suddenly needed her to move next to me. Um, I'm sorry, its 9.30pm and she is sleeping, we have an early flight. Sorry Ma'am I am told. Five minutes later I'm rung again and told she definately had to move. So, the two of us grumpy and in pjamas had to pack her up and move her to the room next door. Then they ring about keys... oh it goes on! About 11pm I finally got to bed. So there goes a good night sleep which was the whole idea of stopping in KL.
Check-out was not pleasant either.
Now, I am a very easy-going relaxed traveller and not the type to complain or get upset easily, but the reception service at this hotel was the worst I have ever encountered - and I have travelled to some out of the way countries where English isn't spoken at reception!
That aside, the rooms were nice and roomy and very reasonably priced (we paid $60 each for a room to ourselves and they were beyond expectations). The hot water was to die for. There was tea/coffee facilities - kitchen even in my room!
The proximity to the HUGE shopping centre was awesome if you are a shopper (I'm not but even I could see the potential!). The hotel was confusing to get around - two different towers - and no explanation about this at check-in etc. But, I was jet-lagged and tired. Can I add, the concierge staff were delightful and helpful - couldn't fault them.
So.... I don't know what is wrong with reception? Bad procedures? Bad management? Bad culture? I hope they fix it as it completely ruins what could otherwise be a fine hotel. However, this is my worst hotel stay ever - all I wanted was a hot shower and a good nights sleep - and I only got one of those. Oh, and the toilet gurgled all night so I didn't get much sleep at all! The two stars are for the potential - if they just fix RECEPTION!

Room Tip: Well, I didn't get to choose a room they just moved us around!
2  Thank Fi1971

Dear guest,

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to write to us. Your comments on your recent stay in Berjaya Times Square Service Suites is most alarming and regrettable. I will share your feedback with my team from Front Office department as I’m sure we will try our very best to handle these shortcomings in future.

Rest assured that we take your dissatisfaction very seriously. The complaints that you’ve mentioned have been brought to the attention of the respective departments and corrective measures have been taken.

Once again, thank you for staying with us at the Berjaya Times Square Hotel, Kuala Lumpur. I look forward to be of service to you again in the near future.

Reviewed 16 April 2012

Stayed at the Berjaya Times Square with my family in a Brooklyn suite (so 2 rooms). Very spacious but the rooms look very tired. Old style CRT TVs ( a minor thing but it shows its age), old carpet and peeling paint. Also had a view of the very dirty roof...which is a shame as it does generally have great views
Love the location though...very convenient to the Mall, Jalan Alor (for food) and rest of the city. Would recommend it for the location but its a tired hotel. Reception, pool and gym all looked good.

1  Thank marckietan

Dear guest,

Thank you for writing to us. Your kind comment is truly appreciated and it encourages us to improve our services.

We will be much delighted to introduce you to our newly refurbished Corporate Club Floor with sleek interior design. The Club Room will suit you better either for leisure or business trip. Rest assured that you will definitely enjoy your stay in the Club Room with additional Club Floor benefits accorded.

It was truly a pleasure to have had you with us during your last visit. . I look forward to be of service to you again in the near future.

Reviewed 16 April 2012

We had a superior room with two kids and it was great. Unlike all other buffet breakfasts every day the menu changed and the staff were great. Excellent value for money. Lovely swimming pool

Dear guest,

On behalf of the team, I would like to extend my heartiest appreciation for choosing us as your preferred hotel in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia atop the pleasant experience from our staff as reflected by our true Malaysian Hospitality.

I look forward to be of service to you again in the near future.

Reviewed 15 April 2012

I stayed at the Berjaya Times Square with my 10 year old son on the recommendation of a fellow travel consultant. My first impression of the lobby area was excellent a view shared of the pool area and floors. Unfortunately we encountered a number of issues that would prevent me from recommending the Berjaya to my clients.
Firstly on check-in I was asked if I preferred one bed or separate beds. Considering my booking was for myself and my son as noted on my confirmation and again in a follow up email (where I also requested a non-smoking room) I found this a ridiculous question, it also seemed that a room hadn't been allocated as it took quite some time for them reception to work this out. When we did get to the room it was obviously a smoking room from the stench we encountered when I open the door, even though I had requested non-smoking. We were moved to another room 3 hours later (which was fine as we were given use of the other room until then). Here is where I have some major issues. My son was in the shower and screamed for me to coming in. When I did I was presented with a wad of black hair big enough to cover my palm that had been sitting where I would say the shower glass and tiles meet. This was so disgusting that I advised reception and took the offending hair with me. On closer inspection there were long black hairs also still stuck to the shower tiles and a fair amount of mould. To cut a long story short we were moved to another room the next day ( after getting a call at 10pm to ask if they could come and clean the shower) which was a godsend because as it was the room we had was 1 room away from the air-con condenser which clanked like an old steam train all night keeping us both awake.
I do not want to come across as a whining reviewer as this is probably the only negative review I have ever given to a hotel but cleanliness is something that any hotel regardless of star rating should get right (see photos). Yes they offered to clean it but the shower should not have got to the state it was in if housekeeping were doing their job. Fores and against.......
Staff - very friendly, access to Times Square - very easy from the lobby, security - very good, beds - so hard my hips hurt, studio room - quirky layout with the little kitchen area and huge bathroom with separate toilet and vanity area but leaving such little room where the bed is you need to swing your legs out of bed sideways. Definitely not 5 star compared to others I have stayed at in KL....maybe 3.5 - 4? A lot of mucking around that spoilt our 2 night stay.

4  Thank jodster

Dear guest,

Your kind comment is truly appreciated and it encourages us to improve our services. I have shared your feedback with my team from Front Office and Housekeeping department as I’m sure we will try our very best to handle these shortcomings in future.

Reviewed 13 April 2012

Was in KL for my second honeymoon and decided to stay in Berjaya Times Square and boy was i right!!! The hotel Is right in the heart of the city with everything you need within vicinity. Got it's own shopping mall with indoor theme park. The rooms are VERY spacious and VERY clean, The view from the hotel gives you a top of the world feeling!! gives you a panoramic view of the city!! the staff was very very friendly. The breakfast had wide variety (including the Indian delicacies). The best part was the bar / lounge in the hotel that we stumbled upon late during the night Knowing that we were Indians, the performers sang a HINDI song specially for us. It was really touchy to know non-indian band singing a Hindi song soo flawlessly.
All in all, the entire stay was wonderful!!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Arif H
AdrianChung, General Manager at Berjaya Times Square Hotel, Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2012

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for writing to us. We are certainly glad to know that your stay of second honeymoon with Berjaya Times Square Hotel, Kuala Lumpur was a delightful one.

It is always our pleasure to ensure that you enjoyed throughout your stay in Kuala Lumpur. I am sure you had fun time out from the bargaining in our Berjaya Times Square Mall, alongside the adventurous indoor theme park and eateries around. Your kind comments during your last stay will certainly motivate our team members to strive for a higher level of service standard.

On behalf of the team, I would like to extend my heartiest appreciation for choosing us as your preferred hotel in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. I look forward to be of service to you again in your next annual visit.

Reviewed 10 April 2012

This hotel is right in the centre of kuala lumpar and great value for money. Close to all main shopping centres and right on the imbi monorail station. The central business district is close by and taxis are very affordable. The hotel has a large buffet style restaurant and is fair for breakfast, as like most hotels in KL it is halal so don't expect bacon or pork produce for breakfast . The eggs are good and the variety of food is well presented and cooked.
The coffee is not so great!!!
The rooms are very comfortable and the shower always hot. The beds are comfortable we had a superior room on the 20 th floor (20-01). It over looked the old KL padu prison nd the monorail stations past imbi. The traffic was not a problem and not at all noisy considering we were in the middle of the city.. The bar is quite expensive and the Decor a little outdated but did have a large tv to watch the F1 GP. Check in and check out was easy and quick. Rooms have intervidual airconditioners. Maid service was quick and alway neat and tidy. Overall a good hotel would stay again.

Room Tip: Book a deluxe room rather than a superior as it is larger and on the pool side of the hotel. Book d...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
AdrianChung, General Manager at Berjaya Times Square Hotel, Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2012

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for writing to us. We are certainly glad to know that your stay with Berjaya Times Square Hotel, Kuala Lumpur was a delightful one. Your comments during your last stay will certainly boost the level of team member's motivation in achieving higher service standard.

On behalf of the team, I would like to extend my heartiest appreciation for choosing us as your preferred hotel in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. I look forward to be of service to you again in the near future.