“Difficult to leave”

Happy Cat Guesthouse
Reviewed 5 November 2015

I had a wonderful stay in Birdnest Guesthouse and didn't encounter any hygienic problems while I was there. The place is clean, and the atmosphere on the roof top was really great. On my first night they had an open mic night, and backpackers from other hostels joined in what turned out to be a great party, with cheap beer and beer pong;). On Saturday, the next night, the guys (buskers) from Australia played again, a Czech guy from the hostel joined them, and they really rocked the rooftop :). On my last night I chilled with Willi and the gang, played some darts with two competitive;) German girls and had yet another great night (btw, I lost). Lots of backpackers were returning for the second or third time...probably because the place is just across the bus&train station, or just because it feels like family. The only thing that I missed was the filtered water, but I bought a cheap 5L mineral water can, and all was fine. Thank you Willi for being such a great host!

Room Tip: Spend your night on the rooftop, it's a great place to chill
  • Stayed: October 2015, travelled solo

Reviewed 20 October 2015

I 'spontaneously' spent about 4 months in birdnest and in the end it was hard to leave. I loved the artistic atmosphere and with some paintings and drawings I supported Willi, the super nice owner, with his new guesthouse. Also the staff and two cats are lovely and the personal contact as well as the cozy furnishing gives you a homelike feeling. The open common area / terrace has a bright and friendly design and the location of the the guesthouse is great (Central Market, MRT, Chinatown, Busterminal...). I met some wonderful people in those months and will come back to visit asap :)

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 September 2015

My stay was overshadowed by the little lake cat urine I found my shoes lying in on the morning of my departure. If you stay at birdnest, make sure to not leave your shoes on the stairs as the cat walk around freely (my shoes werent the only ones that were wet). The smell of cat urine is very penetrant and almost impossible to get rid of (washing machine won't help).

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
3  Thank jennyjenny m
Reviewed 4 September 2015 via mobile

it was really cheaper but our room had a bugs infection.
they have some animals in the hostel and the room was too hot and we had problems for sleeping.
we nevertheless will return there.
the hostel has a good location, it is close to train station and china town.

Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank aleixaleix
Reviewed 4 September 2015

I stayed 10 days in Birdnest Guest House in July 2015. I checked the reviews on Tripadvisor beforehand and I was satisfied once arrived.
Willi, who runs the place is a very nice guy, he gave me some tips what to visit in the city. Also there are always fellow backpackers to hang out with, very open minded and lovely persons, all around the world.
I liked the colorful paintings and rooms and the whole hippi feeling in this hostel.
Moreover it has a perfect location (Chinatown) and the wifi is free. Last but least, the rooms are clean and there fans.

Perfect place to stay in KL for backpackers!

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed 31 August 2015

We stayed here for three nights and then came back for another two nights. We stayed in the fan room and really enjoyed it. The bed was clean and there is a good vibe in the hostel. The wifi was okay. I have to admit there are not many toilets/showers - only 4 but they were also always clean. The walls are thin but while staying there all the guest were respectful and we were never bothered by loud noise. The location is great, everything in walking distance and the LRT station Pasar Seni is just a minute away.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 August 2015 via mobile

We stayed there for 2 days and came back later for 2 days just because the athmosphere was so relaxed. So many people With great storys to Tell and on top of tjat they have a fantastic rooftop terrace where you feel like you are all reserved and alone in the middel og KL, Big thumbs up for the place. Nice rooms, friendly staff and awesome location.

Stayed: July 2015