Traders Hotel, Kuala Lumpur(Kuala Lumpur)
Free cancellation until 28/07
US$126
Hotels.com
US$85
Impiana KLCC Hotel(Kuala Lumpur)
US$100
US$77
  • Pool
Hilton Kuala Lumpur(Kuala Lumpur)
Book now, pay at stay
US$199
US$187
Mandarin Oriental
3,753 results
All reviewsorchid clubpark royal hotelbukit bintangfamily suitesungei wangdeluxe roomberjaya times squaremonorail stationexcellent locationwalking distancemajor shoppingbuffet breakfaststayed here for nightscentral locationfood courtchinese restaurantgolden triangle
Reviewed September 12, 2009

After what could be described as a mediocre experience earlier in the year at The Federal Kuala Lumpur as Parkroyal was fully-booked (reviewed by me here), I was really looking-forward to my first return visit to Parkroyal since September 2008.

On my previous visit - staying in the newly-opened Orchid Club Rooms, standards right across-the-board were faultless - new rooms in pristine condition, warm, enthusiastic and well-motvated staff particularly within the Club Lounge - and excellent standard of food (both quality and variety) served within the Club Lounge.

On my arrival, I was greeted with politeness and escorted to the 6th Floor Orchid Club Lounge for personalised check-in. Service here was exactly as I remembered it to be and remained so for the duration of my short stay (just one night on this occasion). A request for extended check-out was willingly provided until 3.00 p.m. at no additional charge and check-out was smooth and efficient.

I had wondered in reading other reviews which indicated that the Club Rooms looked "worn" or "tired", particularly as this area within the Parkroyal was constructed so recently. On entering my room, all appeared initially to be as I had remembered it - spacious, well-presented with quality Bed Linen, separate Work Desk and Relaxation Area (sofa and coffee table), large flat-screen Television with DVD Player, delightfully-appointed Bathroom and of course the "signature" Orchids on Coffee Table. There is an abundance of hangers, large (laptop size) electronic safe, Robes, Slippers plus Ironing Board and quality Steam Iron (if the complimentary laundry on arrival is insufficient). Housekeeping standards here are impeccable.

Once I had a chance for a closer observation, the deficiencies indicated by previous posters were clearly evident - right down to the cigarette burn on the bedside table.

Either through a cost-saving exercise by the Parkryoyal's owners - or an unquestionable "con-job" on the part of the company handling the construction project - the bulk of the timber fittings which, when new, gave the appearance of being top quality, with a grain looking like Coconut Wood (which is incredibly heavy and, once treated and polished is virtually indestructible) has now revealed its true "colours" and is no more than a very poor-quality veneer on what appears to be in most areas a plywood base. The number of marks and scratches - which are inevitable no matter how careful housekeeping staff and guests are - give the appearance of rooms which are at least 10 years old - a far cry from what I experienced just 11 months ago. I shudder to imagine what the condition of these rooms will be like after even another 11 months have elapsed!! Why anybody would want to cut-corners in the construction of what is the hotels premium product defies imagination.

As my stay was for just One Night, I did not have an opportunity to experience any of the Hotels Food & Beverage outlets - my free moments being spent in the Club Lounge where complimentary high-speed Internet Access (two very private terminals/work-stations each with Printer and Bottled Water at hand) is available.

The Club Lounge is spacious and airy - with separate areas in which one can hold a business discussion or just relax. There is an abundance of seating - and a good supply of reading material available, together with an excellent outdoor terrace - although this can get quite breezy at times - with plenty of greenery and pleasant views.

Whilst the staff - some having been at Parkroyal since its days as "The President" - were pleasant and professional, they seemed to lack the spontaneity and warmth of which I had fond memories from my previous visit - and which made Parkroyal for me,feel "special".

I also felt that the variety and quality of food served on the Club Buffet - in afternoons, at Evening Cocktails and at Breakfast - were not of the same standard as what I had remembered. "Hot" items from Chafing Dishes were not - on any occasion - hot, and the "a-la-carte" selection offered was not up to last year's standards in either selection or quality. I was asked prior to being seated at Breakfast "if I wanted an Omelette" rather than being given an opportunity to firstly peruse the Table Menu; after accepting the "offered Omelette" I needed to attract the attention of the waitress to change my order to a "Poached Barramundi". Care needs to be taken with pastries being left under the heat lamps for too long; whilst a warm pastry is really appreciated - one which has dried-out and is "rock-solid" is not!

I am aware that, since my previous visit, there has been a change of General Manager at Parkroyal. In contemplating the reason for the diminished warmth from the floor staff in the Club Lounge, I wondered if it may be that the new General Manager is not as "hands-on" as his predecessor or that the staff - perhaps through guest comments - realise that quality of what is offered to Club guests has dropped and they feel a little embarrassed and self-conscious.

Had I not previously experienced the high standards of the Orchid Club - Rooms and Club service - last September, I would have probably been extremely happy. It is just sad to see standards fall at any hotel.

To sum-up, I love the warmth and "personality" of Parkroyal and it's superb location. Would I stay there on my next visit? Yes....if only to hope that my experience on this visit was not what is the usual level of overall compentenance. Regarding the poor construction of the Club Rooms, sadly the Management will have to live with this as time goes by.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank OzinJakarta
Parkroyalhotel50250, General Manager | Area Vice President, Malaysia at ParkRoyal Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2009

Dear Ozinjakarta,

It was a pleasure to have you as a guest at the Parkroyal Kuala Lumpur recently. I am thankful for the time and effort you have placed in providing such valuable feedback on several moments of truth throughout your stay.

I am pleased to note that your arrival and registration experience was consistent with the memorable experience of your previous stay. The Orchid Club lounge has been designed to ensure our business and leisure guests are able to relax in a very friendly and informal atmosphere, at the same time respecting the need for privacy for any official discussions which you have rightfully noted. I would also agree with your comment on the Hotel’s location; it being the closest five star Hotel to the Airport and yet in the middle of happening whether for shopping or business. I have been here just a couple of months and am blessed to be working with several colleagues who have been with us for over a decade and know most guests by their preferences which is the main contributor towards the warmth and personality of the Hotel.

As a management team we have discussed your feedback on the personalized service levels, quality of food and its presentation for immediate improvements. For the reasons you have mentioned, Orchid Club rooms have been very popular since their launch early last year and have been enjoying a very high occupancy, we are continuing our essential maintenance paying more attention to each room.

Whilst I write this response, may I request you to please drop me a personal note.

Kind regards

Lloyd Daser | General Manager | Area Vice President, Malaysia

Reviewed August 29, 2009

We stayed in Park Royal, KL for 3 nights in August on the way to Borneo. The best thing about this hotel is very simple, it is brilliantly located and I'm sure a fair amount less expensive than some of its more luxurious neighbours (Mandarin Oriental, Ritz etc). It is located in the Golden Triangle, about 50m from the famous Lot 10 shopping centre, surrounded by loads of restaurants, shopping centres and other hotels!

It was an inexpensive taxi ride to the KL centre for sightseeing (20 RM), which is recommended due to the heat, and also about 15 min walk from the Petronas Towers.

The Deluxe rooms were spacious and very pleasant (although we did not spend much time there!) and the morning breakfast was a good selection of continental and cooked fare. We were happy with our choice and the staff were very pleasant and helpful. We did not eat evening meals or drink much in the hotel's bar, because there is so much choice and better value just minutes away!

The only negative comment I would have is around the price of using the Hotel's business centre PCs. The hire cost was 1.9 RM per minute!!! This = 30p per minute, which was extortionate given internet cafes would charge a fraction of this price. Perhaps they could offer 10 min complimentary access to all guests, just to enable them to quickly check emails, itineraries etc?

3  Thank Drschrebling
Parkroyalhotel50250, Front Office Manager at ParkRoyal Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2009

Dear Drschrebling,

It was a pleasure to have you as our guest during your last visit to Parkroyal Hotel Kuala Lumpur! We trust that you had a safe and pleasant trip home.

Thank you for taking time to review us on Tripadvisor, no doubt providing us another invaluable opportunity to objectively review the facilities and services we provide to ensure that they meet our guests' expectations.

As the hotel evolves itself, we too are looking to improve the standards of each department within our property to raise the standard for hospitality in Malaysia. We will certainly look into these concerns raised by you about our internet charges. We will look at ways that we are able to improve the experience for not just yourself, but all of our guests.

We thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with us. If I can ever be of assistance or service to you, please do not hesitate to contact me directly. It would be our pleasure to welcome you again to Parkroyal Hotel Kuala Lumpur in the not too distant future.

Kind regards,

Gurcharan Singh | Front Office Manager

Parkroyal Kuala Lumpur
D:+603 2782 8360 | T:+603 2147 0088 | F:+603 2147 0099 | fom@kul.parkroyalhotels.com

Reviewed August 29, 2009

We stayed for 2 nights on our way out to Lankawi and 1 night on the way back home.
We could find no fault. Great location, clean and comfortable rooms, service first class.

We only had breakfast in the hotel and this was first class with plenty of choices.

1  Thank dennisgell

Dear dennisD08,

Thank you for taking time to review us on Tripadvisor. We are glad that our facilities and services provided have met your expectations.

Kind regards,

Gurcharan Singh | Front Office Manager

Parkroyal Kuala Lumpur

Reviewed August 28, 2009

We stayed at the Parkroyal for 4 nights and can not fault the location of the hotel. It is in an excellent central location.
We paid for a deluxe room but were upgraded to a Junior Suite as there were no more Deluxe Rooms available. The Junior Suite was lovely.
Our only complaint about the room was that the wall paper on a large wall panel peeled off overnight on our second night. When reported to the lady that was cleaning the room, she advised that this was due to the water from the above room. We stayed for another 2 days after this and this wall paper was not fixed or rectified during this time, although she said that she had reported it to the Maintenance Manager. This didn't really impact us but I thought that in a 5 star hotel, this sort of thing would have been quickly rectified.
Like the other reviews, we were there during Ramadan and also heard the loud music until 1am both nights - we were unsure as to where this was coming from and were surprised that we could hear it, but didn't say anything about it.
We relied on the concierge for some tourist advice, of which not all was correct, which was a disappointment.
There are a number of staff who stood out in regards to their service, however unfortunately we can't remember names.
We would recommend this hotel for its location, but perhaps not for anything else.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed August 25, 2009

First I must say we have stayed in a Delux room at 20th Level for 3nights. The decision of booking for a delux room is mainly due to the past travellers' comments of small superior room.

We had paid 901MYR for 3nights with breakfast and daily newspaper. The booking through the website using UOB card has made it easy and worth it though I am quite surprise the price for the same room fluctuates.

- Location -
It is situated directly opposite of Sungei Wang, next to Lot 10... diagonally to Time Square. Sungei Wang, BB Plaze, Lot 10, Plaza Low Yat (the IT gadget place), Pavillion, Time Square are all "walkable". Most importantly, the famous restaurant, OVERSEA, is just behind the hotel. The nice local food delights at Jalan Alor. The Bukit Bintang Monorail is also near to the hotel, making trip to KLCC, Sentral, Chinatown easy.

- Room -
The room is clean and spacious with daily newspaper. But there are limited TV stations which to many shoppers may seen to be a small issue. To us, we have our netbooks and movies so we are also quite alright.

- Staff Service -
The staff are all very friendly and helpful. They always serve with a smile. The request for late checkout was also entertained with no extra charges.

- Breakfast -
I would say the spread is good. There are porridge, lasi lema, noodles, different types of pastry, salad and most importantly... an egg station...

BUT...
1. Broadband and wifi are available in the room but there are charges. Personally, we felt that wifi should be made available to all hotel guest at no charges. Maybe there can be a limitation of 1hour per night or whateverso...

2. We were notified that there will be a disruption of hot water supply for 12mignight to 3am. Thus, we decided to return to hotel earlier to have a hot bath before 12midnight. To our dismay, the supply of hot water was cut off before 12midnight. Just imagine having the shampoo on the head and the water turned from warm to cold... Suddenly there was a totally no water supply (YES... totally no water, not even the cold water). That time, it was only 10pm... 2hours before the stated time.

Front desk staff did make the effort to call the technician immediately but problem was not solved. Cold water supply was back shortly but not the hot water. For this instance, we are quite disappointed. The hotel should adhere to the time stated in the memo. The main dissppointment is the sudden cut off of water supply.

3. The room was facing Westin... At night, we could hear some "boom boom" noise which may have come from the bar/nightclub nearby. I would said the noise is bearable to us. But we did come across a couple whom request to change room because of the noise.

Overall, I would still comment it is worth a stay with the kind of money due to its location and friendly staff.

2  Thank rainyh