All reviews hotel supervisor room was spacious male city bathroom door clean hotel breakfast was included basic amenities free airport transfer small hotel julius gabor ferry maldives transit usd island balconies
Reviewed August 3, 2016

First of all, I want to specifically mention 'Sharah' (I think that was her name) who was so friendly and helpful to us. She went above and beyond to ensure that we were looked after. At the last minute, we left our bags with the hotel prior to going to another island for a few days, Sharah was so lovely in organising this and we are very grateful.

The hotel presented as clean and tidy, and it had good amenities. The food in the restaurant was okay, although I would recommend that if the chefs are to cook European dishes that they be trained to do so (although this is certainly not a complaint, just an observation on how the meals tasted).

Thanks again to the Beehive. We will certainly be staying again next time we are in Male.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed August 1, 2016 via mobile

I have rated The Beehive with a 4 (very good) because it met our expectations as an economical place to stay for our stopover. However, if you read on, you may feel I sound very negative below, but that is not my intention as we would consider staying in future.

The rep from The Beehive was waiting for us at the airport when we arrived. However, despite our email to double confirm the pick up for our party of 8, the rep was expecting to pick up 4 guests only. They put us on a larger boat with other people (public boat?) since the smaller boat they were going to use could not accommodate is all with the luggage etc. It didn't bother us too as it's a short journey, but when the boat arrived at Male, the hotel car could not fit us all in, so half the group had to get a taxi with the Beehive rep. This first impression wasn't very professional, but we kept an open mind and hoped the hotel would be as good as per other reviews on Tripadvisor.

We chose The Beehive because we had a late flight into Male and wanted to stay somewhere clean and economical for the night, leaving straight after breakfast the next morning. As a party of eight consisting of two families of 4, we booked three rooms. The hotel knew there were children but gave us three rooms all on different floors. Out of these three rooms, two did not have hot water in the showers although the staff came to adjust one of them and it was fine after. The rooms were clean but the showers and some areas look like they can be resealed / regrouted as it is a bit off putting. The rooms are not exactly the same as the bathroom fittings differ. Luckily, I had an older bathroom with hot water and my husband had the newer, fancier bathroom with no hot water! His toilet also did not flush well, so maybe there was a plumbing issue with his room. Also, if you have a room with sliding balcony, you should check that it is locked because mine was open. We ordered room service (a beef fried noodle ) and it was good. They take cash at your room so make you have some. Beds are comfortable enough and bedding standard. The rooms we had were good sized for three people (a double bed with another single bed).

Breakfast is buffet style but you need to ask the waiter for tea/coffee etc. There is no menu, but if you want eggs like an omlette etc, then you can ask the waiter and order it. We didn't realise until we saw other guests asking and we had the boiled eggs from buffet but the ordered eggs looked nice and fresh from what we saw. It's a small selection but adequate.

At breakfast, the Manager, Julius, came to ask us how our stay was. We were honest and gave him constructive criticism and he was very apologetic and receptive. I feel bad to say so many negative things above, but it's important that when choosing a hotel, it's understood that what you get, is what you pay for. Because the people are pleasant and they do their best like giving you cold towels and a fresh coconut on arrival etc, we would maybe consider another stay because it is good value for just a short one night. We will see it as miscommunication this time around, and bad luck about the lack of hot water.

If you have a bigger budget and are fussy and expect 5 star hardware and service, then this is not the hotel for your family. However, if you are looking for an economical place for the night, then it's an option as it is very well priced. It's clean and staff are friendly enough. I'm sure management will be looking into the mishaps with our stay as Julius was very professional and eager to improve services. He spent a long time listening and taking notes and we feel. All in all, The Beehive is a good value hotel, worthy of a try.

Please note the photos are of two different bathrooms and I only have a photo of the single bed area and not the main bed.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank HkRainbows
Reviewed July 31, 2016

We didn't really like anything here, we transferred to Male for one night in the city after a two week break at two resorts where we were treated like VIPs... only to have to wait over 1 hour for our airport transfer to Male! Then the hotel wouldn't accept our dollar notes due to their 'condition', which we'd exchanged in Maldives!! They completely refused to acknowledge their abysmal service from making us wait over an hour at the airport for pickup (we had plans to meet a friend which then had to be pushed back) & how they'd treated us once we arrived & were paying for the booking. Cannot believe this is number 3 on trip advisor, I shudder to think what the rest of the hotels are like in Male then! Will not go back to The Beehive & would say to pay more money for Hotel Jan as the staff were absolutely terrible & it really ruined the end of our holiday.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed July 24, 2016

We have been back to The Beehive for the second time. Three weeks in total this year. The rooms are very clean, spacious and well maintained. The facilities are excellent and the food very good indeed. BUT the really outstanding part of our stay at The Beehive has been the customer service. The reception and front of house staff are warm, friendly and have done everything possible to make our stay comfortable and enjoyable. Nothing is too much trouble and going back is like seeing old friends. I will never stay anywhere else on Male' and am already looking forward to going back in February.

Room Tip: For a longer stay ask for a kitchenette
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed July 21, 2016 via mobile

I really enjoyed my week at this hotel. The rooms are not big but are very clean and the bed was perfect for me. Huge shower. Hot water was never a problem. All the staff is very friendly
Hotel supervisor Julius Gabor was always helpful and did all he can to make my stay great. Lots of tv channels to keep you updated. Breakfast was nice. Lots of things to eat.
The chilly beef is fantastic. Try it at dinner.
Will go back as soon as possible. Keep it up

Stayed: July 2016, travelled on business