“Genuinely Decent!”
Review of Azka Otel

Azka Otel
Ranked #20 of 97 Hotels in Bodrum City
Reviewed 27 September 2011

We had read a lot of mixed reviews of this hotel prior to leaving 2 weeks ago and I can honestly say that ours was a genuinely good experience! Hotel very clean, room average but the sea view (which is a must) was incredible over the Adriatic Sea! The room was serviced every day with clean towels and sheets and the gym, sauna facilities were first class. The breakfast was okay if nothing special which you expect and the overal experience was great. Staff very helpful and even when my partner needed antisceptic cream for bites and local pharmacies were closed the hotel gave us the medicine and cottom wool which was very decent! The hotel pricing was certainly expensive compared to outside and cans of pop especially are 6 TL and you can get 4 x cans for this price in shops outside! We never got bags checked once going into hotel and top tip is come in from beach side of hotel as the security post is never manned. Boat into Bodrum town was 5 TL each and it was right in front of hotel and took 10 mins. Bodrum is a quaint and very lovely old town. All n all a very nice hotel and suited fine so dont listen to the horror stories as we have what I feel are high standards and they certainly were satisfied! ps...the pool at top of hotel with beau sea views is always quiet and a must do!

Room Tip: Sea view room
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Martin C
There are newer reviews for Azka Otel

Reviewed 25 September 2011

Location
Don't believe any silly reviews saying u can walk to town, you can't its so steep that even the cars seem to be taking corners fasts and furiously to get up and down the hill! I think mountain goats would struggle with the steepness!

However it is in an excellent location as it is only 10 lira to gumbet where all the loud late nite clubs and drinking crowd are but its also only 15-20 lira to Bodrum town where there are nice restaurants, bars, water pipe cafes and also some night clubs and shops. There is the option to get a water bus from the hotel for 5 lira per person. When i went i found the rate to be 2.75 lira to the £.
So i think the hotel location is great because its not in the middle of loud gumbet or bodrum town but bang slap in the middle making both easy to get to.

Hotel Room
We were 4 girls 25-28 who are young professionals looking for some rest and relaxation. To keep costs down we settled for a Land view room. The air con is VERY noisy but does the job. Something that was awfully cheap of the hotel I thought was that the corridors and communal areas of the hotel have no air con. I think this made it very sticky and hot and made you eager to leg it back to your room. I think this must be a cost cutting measure but it made the hotel feel a bit budget.....Room and bathroom was nothing amazing but clean and to a good standard so not bad. More 3-4 star than luxurious 5 star but not bad considering the location and price

Pool Area
This was small but lovely. The sun loungers had lovely big umbrellas and the pool whilst small is a nice area to rest with a book and some drinks. The view from the pool area is pretty too because you are high up on the hills and can look down and see the sea and beach area. Only gripe is during happy hour (daily 5-6pm) they crank up the music and an annoying waiter comes around ringing a bell in your face.....even if you are peacefully dozing!! I think the beach is more peaceful if you don't like music in the background all day.

Beach Area
This is also small and narrow but considering the price it was a nice enough beach. One big complaint that drops my review is that the sun loungers are awful! There umbrellas were like an awful wicker materal and provided very little shade. Many people draped their towels over the umberellas to get better shading which was neccessary in the 33 degree heat of September. The sea is absolutely lovely however. This i could not fault because it was shallow for a quite a bit and then a short part of deep water until you reach the barriers that separate the hotel's section of the water and the other hotels. In the summer I can imagine this small narrow beach would probably be far too small and crowded however in September it was not too full and beautiful. I would recommend getting down early (by 10am) and sticking a towel down, however be warned other tourists will move your towels if you leave them unattended for too long which I think is kind of fair enough really, because some families I noticed put down a towel at 9am and then don't turn up til gone midday which is unfair and waste of a good spot!

Hotel atmosphere
One thing I thing is worth mentioning is that the hotel at the time of the year I went (September) was lovely in terms of the type of holiday crowd staying there. There were no loud boisterous chavvy youths, it was more family oriented, couples with children, young girls and guys but not the loud type. This really made the difference because when my 3 girlfriends and I ventured into Gumbet we encountered all kinds of loud drunken immodest heavy drinking types, it was a relief to find the hotel harboured none of these! Conversely I guess some people may find the hotel too quiet and family minded / couply.

Breakfast
This was awfully disappointing. It had the basics but BASIC would be the key word. Poor powdered orange juice, disgusting watery scrambled eggs and rubbery salami / cold cut meats.
On alternate days there was a chef who made either omelettes or pancakes. The pancakes were meant to be crepe like but were flavourless and rubbery and as for the omelettes he absolutely doused and drowned them in oil! All in all breakfast was basic and I would stick to the cereal and fresh fruit (Watermelon only) which was nice, but the cooked was awful. On our 5 day stay, after the 3rd day I stopped waking up for breakfast but instead had a lunch by the beach or pool instead. I don't consider myself fussy because I'll eat anything and I think of buffet breakfasts as practically free food, but to be honest with you, even if this stuff was free it felt like a waste of calories!

Food at the hotel
The hotel is really good at taking orders from you on the beach or pool side. Its a bit sporadic and hit and miss whether the staff are going to wander by on the beach or by the pool and take your order but when they do, its a nice touch to have your lunch bought to your sun lounger on a hot day. Surprisingly the food was reasonable priced. A burger and chips for lunch was about 12lira (£5-6) or a plate of pasta as littled as £5 (10lira). The grill items were a bit more e.g. kebabs with rice and chips about 25 lira (£10-12). A coffee latte was about 6 lira. All in all in the food is not amazing but its reasonably priced and as the hotel isnt walking distance to anything else this is convenient. Bottles of water and ice creams were also 5lira or less which is good. In the past ive been to sharm el sheikh and other beach resorts where even items like water are an eye watering £4-5 simply because you are staying on a supposedly 5 star resort.

Taxi drivers
I think the price to get to town is between 15lira and 20 lira, to be honest with you taxi drivers are rude, confrontational and eager to rip you off. The cheapest fare to town we got was 15 lira and i still dont know what the real price is but u cannot walk to town so other than taking the water bus at 5 lira per person you dont have much choice!

All in all a good resort, small but nicely formed and decent as long as its not overcrowded because it really isnt that big at all. Good location if you want a private beach and some peace and quiet. The size of the beach, poor shade umbrellas, awful breakfast and dodgy aircon let it down. However I would go back for the beautiful sea.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank roxy_83uk
Reviewed 25 September 2011

its not a five star hotel at all,it s very dirty,our bathroom smell like the interior of a toilet(like poupou!),we couldn t get no sleep because of the smell and they didn t change our room despite the fact that they were aware and admited of our problem.we ask to live 4 days before the end of our vacation and fortunately we got back the rest of the amount from our travel agence...And last but not least,they had a security office in the front door to check your things after every time you return to the hotel,to check if you bring food or beverages in the hotel,we felt very awful about that,we felt like imprisoners and never felt relaxed because of it.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 September 2011

excellent hotel, great location 10 minutes on bus away from center, spacious rooms (scarsity of an effective hair dryer),friendly staff , despite their scarsity of english speaking,delicious food, many different tastes in endless quantity!!the beach is clean but too small to occupy all the clients of the hotel(the system with the beach towels must be changed)!!The pool area is perfect but unfortunately you canonot use it after 18,00.too bad!!great vacation , absolutely to re-visit it!!!

Room Tip: sea view , preferibly on the second floor!!!
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank musaKavala
Reviewed 16 August 2011

First of all it is not 5 min walk to Bodrum as it says on their website, when we arrived I was so pissed that the hotel is so far away and they were like it is 5 min but you cant walk up the hill ( what the hell does that mean? ) you have to pay for taxis to go to Bodrum and Gumbet that 90% of the drivers take you all over the bodrum instead of 5 min drive to charge u more. they ripe you off whenever they can.
I stayed there with my family and 10 other friends , never go back again ,
I dont even know where to start , Staff at the reception were not welcoming and helpfull at all ,and could not speak english .at which 5 star hotel they chase you to pay your bill at the the middle of your stay when you are there for another 5 days( you pay your bill when you check out) , unbelievable..
At the second day of our stay I went to supermarket and bought loads of stuff mostly baby food and a big bottle of water (Because we had 18 months old baby and needed load of water and liquid and never even thought we were not permited to take any drinks to our room ) when we got back with our bags the guy at the door told us we cant take our stuff to our room when i said I paid 200 turkish leer He said he didn't care and he started pulling my bags out of my hand in the middle of the hotel reception and I was shouting at him let go let go and he wouldn't let goand torn my plastic bags to take my stuff out .... My whole body was shaking and i my baby was scared and crying in his pram , I could not believe what happend to me ... who does that ? they dont do that to you even in a 2 stars hotel ,
We spoke to the general manager but nobody gave our shoppings back or appologize to Us.

the food was not even eatable most of the times... and they serve a disgusting powder orange at breakfast but they make fresh orange juce and charge you for it .

10 of us stayed in that hotel and we did not feel welcome at all , the threat you like you owe them something not like we are paying them money and expect to be respected and wellcome. you feel like you are in prison not a hotel .

all the other hotel around had entertainment everynight except azka prison.

Beside all the bad things I said about the hotel I should say that the restaurants waitars (not the freaking manager who never smiled once in 10 days we stayed there )were really hardworking and super nice to us ,
Our housekeeper was good too.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank Aida E
Reviewed 7 August 2011

when we first saw the hotel, we said : waow gorgeous architecture! and that was it.
apart from the beautiful site/beach, this hotel should not even figure among a 2* road motel! bad management,awful and unwelcoming staff,not a word of english and if so,the only thing they said is "ok ok" without understanding it!!! room service: no comment. room cleaning: a week without changing the bedsheets nor cleaning the bath tub&sink beurk ... and above all, they search ur bags,won't even let u bring a bottle of water in with you.
never again ! too bad about Bodrum,too bad about Turquie.

Room Tip: no comments...none !
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank schumi777
Reviewed 28 July 2011

We have stayed here several times when visiting Bodrum in the off season [ winter ] as it has good walking access to the town and good driving access to the large shops set on the main road above the town itself
There is underground security patrolled car parking
It's a large hotel set by the sea yet just out of the main town and yet is only a five minute downhill walk and you arrive at the end of the harbour next to the Yacht Club
From there you can stroll along the harbour into town
The hotel is spacious with nicely furnished public areas and a nice bar
Rooms are large and very clean with good sea views
There is a n indoor pool / jacuzzi and a health centre for hamams , massage etc
Breakfasts are good and there is always a chef on hand to cook omlettes etc
We went half board and the evening meals were fine for what we paid
All in all a good value hotel

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple