“Excellent”

Ranked #5 of 100 Hotels in Gumbet
Leuven, Belgium
“Excellent”
Reviewed 6 January 2012

* Really nice food!!!, excellent all in (included mini-bar)
* Friendly staff
* Relaxing beach and pool (nice extra: they bring around free home-made lemonade)
* The mini bus stops in front of the hotel, so it is really easy tot get to Bodrum, Gümbet (apr 15 min)
* Nice trips in the surroundings (Kos, Bodrum market and castle ... )(Travel guide can be at use)

The only problem we had (but very fast solved)
- I think they don't have double beds, but we just pushed the bed together and the next day they automatically gave us sheets for a double bed :)

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
8 Thank LiesbethSss
badeoral, Guest Relations Manager at WOW Bodrum Resort, responded to this review, 1 May 2012
Dear our guest, thank you very much for all your great compliments about us. I will pass your comments to all our staff as this is the greatest motivation for all of us. You can be assured that we will keep on working hard to deserve those nice words. It was a pleasure to meet and serve you here, so please do not hesitate to contact me for further help for your future vacations. It will be a great pleasure for us to serve you again. Best regards, Bade Oral

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (417)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 January 2012

My review dates back to the Easter half term of 2011 and 2010, I didn't realise I hadn't reviewed this hotel and as an avid fan of Tripadvisor, I thought I better correct it.

I first stayed at Wow Bodrum in half term 2010, and we really enjoyed it that we stayed again the following year(I very rarely go to the same hotel or resort as I like to try different things).

On arriving at the hotel, as it is a popular place to stay, I would recommend one of the party go to check in, that way you will be first in line. Your bags will be taken to your room for you.

The receptionists speak great English and are very helpful. The lobby/reception area is where most people congregate for evening drinks. There's plenty of seats, sofas etc and you get free wifi, you will need to enter your passport number(reception will take a copy of your passport).

The main buffet restaurant can get very busy at peak times, but the staff try very hard to get the tables turned as quick as possible. The choice at breakfast and lunch is good, at dinner time there is a greater selection, and I have to say we loved the food. A wide selection of salads and veg(I don't like these as I'm more of a meat eater).

There are several themed al a carte restaurants that you an visit once each week.to book them you use the phone in your room. There is an Italian, mediteranean and a Turkish.

I loved the Turkish, there's a small choice but the food is delicious! As well as these restaurants there is a snack bar with pizzas burgers etc for lunch, a place for coffee and toasties and a Turkish restaurant with amazing meatballs, and chicken wings, and of course Turkish pizza.

The drinks available are not branded names that we will know but tasty Ll the less. The wine was really tasty.

The animation team, try to get you involved, but aren't pushy, someone will come round from the spa, thoroughly recommend the Turkish bath and massage - amazing and good value.

The hotels is about 15 minute walk from the nightlife and shops. We weren't too fussed as just wanted to chill by the pool. Which is very well maintained.

Rooms are clean if a little chintzy but very comfy. You get a few drinks in the fridge and are topped up throughout your stay.

All in all I have no hesitation in recommending this hotel.

I like to holiday and go away 4-5 times a year, I like to stay somewhere nice, and Wow Bodrum resort is ideal!

Any questions let me know

:D

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
11 Thank MartinQ
Dear our guest, thank you very much for all your nice comments about us. I will pass your compliments to all our staff as this is the greatest motivation for all of us. It was a pleasure serving you and will be an honor to welcome you here again for another memorable holiday. Please do not hesitate to contact me for further help for your future vacations. Best regards, Bade Oral
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 December 2011

We booked the WOW after reading some excellent reviews on here about it.

When we arrived, the staff were very friendly and helpful and even though there were 22 of us checking in, it was quick and efficient.

The hotel itself is lovely, beautiful grounds and nicely spaced out into a little community. We were given directions to our room and our cases were brought along by the bellboy after. The room was very big, had a lovely balcony but was a bit dated with decor and the bathroom could have done with an upgrade.

Overall we were very pleased with our room, and we received a bottle of champers, a fruit basket and some chocolates which was very nice. The room was about a 5minute walk from the main hotel and pool, however we were kept awake every night by the music playing from the main hotel which went on until well after midnight. We also had an ajoining room with a locked door, but the door wasn't very soundproof which meant we could hear everything our neighbours were saying and doing - rather uncomfortable!

Unfortunately the weather didn't hold out and for the 7 days we were there it rained for 4 of them. This meant we didn't get the chance to really enjoy the outdoor facilities and as Turkey so very rarely gets rain, there wasn't much to do in poor weather, the common areas inside were very overcrowded and there was no entertainment on the nights where it rained.

The buffet restaurant was very disappointing, there was very little choice and the same thing for lunch and dinner and each night very similar food - there was no variation in the desserts at all. I have stayed in 3 star half board restaurants with far greater variety of food in the buffet restaurant and I am not a fussy eater.

The speciality restaurants helped vary things a bit, the Turkish restaurant was fabulous for both lunch and dinner and the staff were great there. The Italian was wonderful for our evening meal but at lunch the service was dreadful - I was served my meal 20 minutes before my husband's meal arrived so I was finished before he even got his dinner and there was no apology!
The medditeranian restaurant was very nice, but there are only two choices on the menu - sea bass and sea bream. I'm not that keen on fish, especially when it still has it's head on, I did end up really enjoying it but it was a bit of a shock at first.

The wine was nice and included in the all inclusive - I was a bit disappointed in the cocktails, they were very watery and served in plastic glasses.

Our room was kept very clean by the staff, however we didn't eat all our fruit and after 2 days it started to go mouldy. It was on a big plate so we couldn't put it in the bin but it took 3 days before it was removed from our room which made me a little uncomfy.

It is a lovely hotel, and I think it's a very high standard for Turkey, but it's on par with a decent 3 star in Spain on the Canaries. My last holiday was a 5 star paradise in Mexico so I am probably comparing it to that which isn't fair, I don't think we got to see it at its best due to the weather and it was a very pleasant stay but I think a week was enough for us, after two weeks the food certainly would have gotten mundane.

If you have already booked, don't worry at all, I was just a little disappointed as there were just some little things that if tweaked could have made it much more 'wow'.

Room Tip: Ask for an upstairs room, you get a lovely view from the balcony over the bay
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
7 Thank jeniwren21
Dear our guest, thank you very much for all your comments about us. You can be assured that we will always keep on working hard to deserve those nice words and to give a better service to our guests. your comments about the variation of food in main restaurant will be dealt with a high level of consideration. It was a pleasure and will be an honor to welcome you here for a memorable WOW Bodrum Resort holiday- maybe with better weather conditions. Please do not hesitate to contact me for further help for your future vacations. Best regards, Bade Oral
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 November 2011

Stayed here last November. Lovely hotel = a bit dated in the rooms but very clean.. The only problem here is that there are sooo many steps so not quite so good for the less mobile. Staff friendly and polite and food good = although not the best I have had from a turkish all inclusive. There are lifts but if you are not able to walk far maybe best to avoid

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
6 Thank karen c
Dear our guest, thank you very much for all your great comments about us. It was a pleasure for us to meet and serve you. It will be an honor to welcome you here again. Best regards, Bade Oral
Royton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 November 2011

Beautiful hotel, not so good if you're no good with steps or hills but none the less a very nice complex. The al a carte restaurants are fantastic, especially the italian, but good luck getting a reservation! The main restaurant is also very nice, some of the deserts were presented fantastically! Nice big reception with a 24 hr bar if you didn't fancy the ampitheatre or pool bar, main pool area was lovely and even in school holidays we managed to get sunbeds anytime of the day! not too many germans either (thank god) Prepare to keep yourself entertained in bodrum airport as coming in we spent a good 40 minutes queuing for passport control and in departures theres barely enough seats for 2 flights and is one small duty free shop, and one cafe. The hotel itself is very good value for money, well for what we payed anyway, £1900 for 3 adults and 1 child all inclusive with 2 rooms, for a 4/5* resort we couldn't believe our luck in school holidays! All in all a very nice hotel, would definitely recommend.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank Abbie E
Dear our guest, thank you very much for all your compliments about us. I will pass your comments to all our staff as this is the greatest motivation for all of us. It was a pleasure and will be an honor to welcome you here for a memorable WOW Bodrum Resort holiday. Please do not hesitate to contact me for further help for your future vacations. Best regards, Bade Oral
liverpool, england
Reviewed 17 November 2011

Did lots of research before our trip to Wow Bodrum, which is actually in Gumbet, and many thanks to all who helped and answered my questions. As a wheelchair user, I had already booked accessible rooms via the tour operator, Thomas Cook, but after seeing on this site that Bade Oral, guest relations manager reads and responds to posting on this site, I decided to email her in advance to explain my accommodation needs and to check access to the a la carte restaurants, and private beds on the pier. We received a very nice reply a few days later, and on check-in we were pleased that, despite asking for a double room and being given a single, it had a ramp up to it and was on an accessible level, although it was not an accessible room (adaptation wise). Our children were opposite us and a few door down, so this was pleasing, and we were checked in swiftly and without a fuss. The room placement however accessable ended up being a downside in the end, as the entertainment of an evening is above our heads and very loud, although it does stop at about midnight, and then through the night there is luggage being dragged over the cobbles outside as people arrive/ leave in the early hours and then from 8am the maids trolleys are dragged over the cobbles, all of which make a racket - perhaps a 'runner' of astroturf style carpet over the main stretch of the paths might reduce this?

We had decided to take a private transfer to avoid the hassle of the transfer coach, and because of my access needs and this all worked well, and also meant that we arrived at the hotel half an hour before the end of evening meal service, so we managed to get to our rooms, have cases delivered an get to dinner, which was very unexpected. The coach arrived as we were having a drink in the bar after our meal, and after the restaurant had closed.
The weather for the main part of the holiday was fine, great at times bearing in mind we were in October, the down side was that it is a little difficult to actually get access on the beach – there is a lift to the bottom of this, hillside located hotel, which is welcome but then struggling to get the wheelchair through the sand to parts where beds – if any where available – was very difficult, at times we had to go around the edges of the volleyball courts which was fine when they were not in use! Believe it or not people decided to serve directly at us, nice holidaymakers – so if it was you, thanks! After a couple of attempts we gave the beach at the hotel a miss and either went to a pub /other hotel further down the beach that gave free sunbeds if you bought a drink, a bit of an unnecessary expense when staying all inclusive but easier option than fighting and stressing to get to the beach.
As is mentioned in other trip reports, booking the a la carte restaurants can only be done on the day of requiring them, and each room can only make a booking to add one additional room to the booking, even though our booking was for 4 rooms and 8 people, so we had to try to coinside our calls to ensure we got two bookings for the same restaurant at the same time, this didn’t work very well, but we managed to merge bookings that were half an hour apart into one 15 mins early and 1 15 mins late, but sat on different tables across the restaurant which meant that as I have 4 children I had to choose which ones sat with us and which didn’t – also as the system is automated not manned by an actual person, we couldn’t explain access requirements so ended up in a position in the restaurant that we could not actually get into with the wheelchair! Also, despite assurances that all the restaurants were accessible, the Turkish restaurant – which opened during the day downstairs, only opened of an evening upstairs – with no lift or alternative access!! We asked could they not set up a table for the 8 of us downstairs, or even just for 2 of us and let the rest eat together, but again this was not an option; I asked to speak to Bade Oral or the hotel manager, as also earlier the patisserie area above the Turkish restaurant – which I think is what transforms to the evening Turkish restaurant - refused to let my son take a cup of tea or a cake downstairs to me despite me being unable to access the patisserie myself; I was told that the management were too busy to see me but agreed that they would not be making an alternative arrangements to allow me to utilise this restaurant. Not very helpful and definatley the WORST customer services I have ever dealt with! A mile from the nice responses that Bade Oral gives on this site! We also had other reasons to contact customer services and had the same unhelpful attitude – these were : one of the group has a salt free diet, when asked about help with this we were told by customer services ‘ we have a diet section and that is all we will be providing you with’ this section had boiled potatoes, boiled rice a boiled vegetable, and boiled meat usually chicken but sometimes beef and once fish, and after talking to the chef before going to customer services, we had already ascertained that they are boiled in salted water! This particular obstacle was overcome by heavily tipping the maître d’ and the chef, who then arranged for a portion of the freshly grilled meats to be grilled unseasoned.
Our second obstacle, in which customer services were totally unhelpful was a leak in the ceiling above the bath. Actually, on one of my early days in the hotel, I had been lying in the bath, relaxing, when I looked up and saw the ceiling above the bath, not pleasant and full of black/green mould, not contributory to a relaxing bath at a wow 5* hotel, also, when looking sideways rather than up at the ugly ceiling mould, the area under the sink was black with dust and cobwebs, so not the pleasantest of surroundings. Anyway, one evening before dinner I decided hubby could get me in bath – he had to help lift me in out and as shower is over bath and no seat or rails sitting/lying is my only option – and then go to the boys room to check on them and make sure eldest son (who has learning disabilities) was able to set shower temperature and got shampoo out of his hair etc., then come back and get me out after I’d had a soak. Problem occurred when I shuffled to the tap end to get the soap that I had placed there – I felt water leaking onto my head, initially I thought it was the shower head just ‘leaking’ but then I felt something heavier and then steadier water flow on my head, I looked up to find the ceiling leaking and plaster on my head. I moved to the rear of the bathtub, and tried to get myself out of the bath, as I was afraid the who ceiling and god knows what else would fall on me. Eventually after quite some time and effort I got out of the bath, falling in a heap on the floor just as my hubby arrived back; after getting me up and placing me on the bed he went to reception to report the problem, the receptionist offered us a spare towel – totally missing the point. Tried again, and this time a man with a screw driver was sent , who then return with some paint and painted over the whole/leak. Next day we explain to customer relations that the problem, which is a leak from above, has not been fixed – during the early morning there was another ‘down pour’ their reply, ‘you have been to reception so what is your problem!’ and that was that, we then went to the Thomas cook rep and reported it to him, he advised us he would get it dealt with.
Two nights later as I get in the bath, sitting at the rear, I hear a noise above, l look up and sure enough there starts another downpouring through the ceiling and more of the ceiling falls into my bath water – hubby gets me back out and goes back to customer services who seem not to understand. By this time we have correlated the leaks to be when the room above empties their bath or has a shower ( I hope it is this and not when they use the loo also!) so try to suggest that they need to fix the room above, who we assume would be unaware of any problems. We can understand that leaks happen but want them to fix the problem not just ignore it or offer me a towel to put over my head when bathing . Nothing happens again, so another trip to the rep the next day, and again the next, however on the third report to the rep, finally we hear workmen in the room above. We hope the problem is fixed but by then, we were avoiding the bathroom except for the loo, and using the kids room to bath in! We did still notice ceiling debris in the bath during the day but couldn’t tell if it was just from the flaking mouldy ceiling, which, despite having been painted, was now black with mould again.
For the rest of the stay, we found the place pleasant, rather difficult to navigate at times, especially as the route for a wheelchair user sometimes differs from that used by ambulant guests, and an idea maybe to have a map with these easy access routes, that would also be useful for parents with buggies too.
The general area of Gumbet is pleasant, if hilly, the beach is lovely and flat. The shopkeepers are generally good natured if a little persistant at times, but on the whole, in my opinion, much nicer than those in bodrum, where we found they seemed to think the way to ‘charm’ and amuse the English was to swear in every sentence! One young man got a good telling off for f’ing in front of me and my friend, would he say it to his mother – i don’t think so – so why to me and my friend who would be of similar age. Show some respect we don’t all like bad language.
We visited Bodrum by dolmus, 2.75TL per person and by taxi 25TL up to 6 people; we used private transfers to go to Turgetries and to Gumusluk as it was easier for our party but had freedom to stay as long as we wished rather than the hassles of doing it by organised tours.
We had 2 Turkish baths, one in the hotel on our 2nd full day, which was great fun and cost 40 TL per person (they said it was a special rate because all 8 of us had it together, so if there is a group of you haggle the deal) and another at Queens resort later in our stay, which included a 30 min massage for £10 (28TL) however we booked with a travel agency in town because the resort direct, when we enquired said 70TL. The one at the hotel had a better scrub and was a more pleasant Hammam, the foam massage was better and was more fun, but the session at Queens resort included a sauna before the Turkish bath, although the 8 of us were squashed in together with a family of 4 with 2 teenage terrors which was far from pleasant. After the hammam and soap massage, we then had a 30 minute relaxing body massage in an area that resembled a hospital emergency area but once it started the massage was superb and very relaxing with the soothing music playing in the background. Both were really good in different ways, if you are looking for nice surroundings and a quick massage, stick with the hotel, if you want a good value overall experience with a long massage after go with queens.
We booked our boat trip with the guys who rent the segways, they were the best rates in town for most trips, and only charged us £13 for trip, lunch and all inclusive drinks, and it lasted from 10am till 4.30pm – great value and a great day!
Hubby and son had a great evening fishing booked with the guys on the hotel pier - £20 each, well recommended and great fun. The guys helped my son and were really friendly.
We ate out at Gumbet House on several occasions as they were very friendly, there was an easy access route to avoid the steps and a toilet that I could get to, plus the food was great and very good value. I had a birthday party there on our last night at they really did make it special; I would deffo recommend it.
The youngsters enjoyed their walks along the beach to see Ali Baba the camel, his rides were better value than those at Camel beach, they both cost 10 TL but Ali Baba gave a longer ride. Ali, the owner does charge for pictures, but allows you to stroke/pet Ali Baba and seems to really care about his camel.
One last thing, again it is mention previously, but just wanted to confirm, Bodrum airport is ridiculously expensive and cost £30 for 3 x chips and 4 cans of coke!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank juejosh
Dear our guest, thank you very much for all your comments about us. I wish I could have met you in the hotel and help you sort out any issues that occured. at special requests like "unsalted meals" our customer services staff can only give you the general information that is gathered from our Food and Beverage Department which is -we unfortunately can not serve for special meal requirements apart from our diet buffet as our main buffet gives mass service, but Im also pleased to hear that our restaurant chef has sorted this issue like you mentioned. about the leakage in your bathroom ceiling, I would like to apologise in the name of our hotel staff and would like to mention that room change would be more approprite in this case. ı will inform our front office department and Thomas Cook reps. to offer that for future problms of this nature. It was a pleasure serving you and will be an honor to welcome you here again for another holiday. Please do not hesitate to contact me for further help for your future vacations. Best regards, Bade Oral
Reviewed 16 November 2011

We stayed at WOW last year and it was HOT!!
Arriving at the resort was underwhelming. Discovering the distance from our room to the beach was such a disappointment. So many twists and turns and steps, but I guess that all adds to the character of the hotel.
The rooms were ok but very very dated. Sky blue carpets and frischa bed linen? It's painful to the eyes at a glance but you get used to it. The beds were lovely and comfy, no faults there at all. Watch the raised marble floor on the way into the bathroom, I must have booted it about ten times.
The food was lovely the first 2 days but unfortunately I was allergic to the oils almost everything was cooked in. And so instead of gaining weight in my jollys, I lost half a stone. My family did love the food though, it was gorgeous and very tempting to eat.
The beach was fab when we eventually got to it. Hot sand and comfy beds, especially the giant cushions and mattresses on the small peer. We were greeted by an octopus on day 2 which was amazing to see and you're always surrounded by wildlife in the bay. Fish just swim up to you, especially when you have bread.
Evening entertainment was made by ourselves. The entertainment hosted by the hotel was poor so take full advantage of the all inclusive alcohol!
The trip into Bodrum was nice but very busy with constant pestering from the locals. That was to be expected.
Staff lovely and friendly and would recommend to friends.

• Stayed September 2011
5 Thank HeidiMay92
badeoral, Guest Relations Manager at WOW Bodrum Resort, responded to this review, 25 April 2012
Dear our guest, thank you very much for all your nice comments about us. we will surely take your comments about renovation of rooms into consideration. ıt will be a pleasure for us to see you here again. Please do not hesitate to contact me for further help for your future vacations. Best regards, Bade Oral
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gumbet
0.5 km away
18.6 km away
La Blanche Island Bodrum
La Blanche Island Bodrum
#3 of 99 in Bodrum City

Been to WOW Bodrum Resort? Share your experiences!