“Decent food overall - Glad they were open”

Gary's Down East Seafood
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Arapahoe
Cuisines: Seafood
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This was the only place open on a Sunday night.

Came down from oriental, and was glad to have this option.

Flounder, slaw, fries were all fine.

A little pricey, but at least they were open and food was tasty.

Date of visit: November 2018

Reviewed August 7, 2018

I'm from Hampton VA, at the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay- nicknamed Crabtown USA and I've never had a better softshell crab than the one I had at Gary's. I'll be back!!

Reviewed July 30, 2018 via mobile

We took out of town family members there due to the recent news coverage of small places having great seafood. The “Jumbo Lump Crab cakes were very light colored but nothing that made us concerned. After biting into one noticed they were pretty mushy inside but didn’t say anything and thought it was just me but after my sister took s bite of hers she asked me if mine seemed uncooked inside. We pulled it apart and sure enough they were not cooked at all inside. It was the wet mixture of crab, bread crumbs and mayo or eggs. It was just mushy mess inside that we were tasting. It reminded me of eating raw cornbread batter with crabmeat. We told waitress and she had us put them all on same plate and said they were cooking us new. She later came back to say “he” will cook y’all new ones if u want and we really just didn’t even want but before we had a chance to speak the waitress said “it doesn’t matter to me cause I’ll eat them if u don’t want!” My sister said no and I said I will take mine home. She came back threw a piece of cake on table with 5 forks and said this is on the house! Meanwhile water was dripping from ceiling onto our table and we constantly had to ask for drink refills! In the end she never brought the new cooked crab cakes for me to take home but charged $23 for the dinner anyway! Only took my sisters off bill. My husband was up sick all night which he thinks was from his meal. So “No” I would not recommend this restaurant and will never be back!!

Reviewed July 10, 2018 via mobile

My husband and I eat lunch and dinner here often because they have the best seafood in the area. Their seafood is always fresh and portions are generous. Seafood is lightly battered and never over cooked! Next time you are in Arapahoe NC don’t miss stopping at this great place to eat!

1  Thank Lila W
Reviewed May 31, 2018 via mobile

Every time we have guest. The first thing they want to do is go to Gary's for soft shell crabs. We've had guest from all over the Chesapeake Bay. They all say Gary's are the best.

Date of visit: May 2018