“July: Brown butter rules the menu - yay!”

Alchemy Restaurant and Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Alchemy Restaurant and Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 171 Restaurants in Ashland
Price range: US$20 - US$40
Cuisines: American, Contemporary, Bar, Wine Bar
Good for: Business meetings, Bar Scene, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Hargadine St
Description: Sept 1st, 2015 - Just named one of the Top 100 Restaurants for Foodies by OpenTable. We are a small fine dining restaurant that strives to use local ingredients to transmute our food, cocktails and dining experience into memorable evenings. We feature an award winning wine list with Certified Sommelier on staff to help, and inventive craft cocktails to wow the palate.
Reviewed July 12, 2018

We strolled over to Alchemy after seeing 'Oklahoma'. At first I was put off by the limited options on the menu, (okay, so I am spoiled.) Our waiter, Tom, was delightful. I ordered Pasta with the brown butter sprinkles and a side of asparagus. Well the entrée appeared just to be a boring bowl of brown pasta- and, It was beyond my expectations. Who knew brown butter was so great? Note: they had numerous entrées involving brown butter and the dessert menu was riddled with suggestions with brown butter as an ingredient. She she ordered a steak which was unavailable so they served a rib-eye instead. Several bites were "fatty." According to locals, the Winchester house has been famous for decades.
Indoor outdoor dining

WinchesterInn, Owner at Alchemy Restaurant and Bar, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2018

I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed yourself. The menu changes regularly and I hope that you join us again next year to see what improvements we have made.

Reviewed July 9, 2018

I agree with Tom2592's review. Alchemy presents itself as haute cuisine, but falls far short of the mark for such high aspirations. Recently we had a party of 4 for a special occasion dinner. I ordered the foi gras appetizer. The foi gras on the plate was a thin slice about the size of a silver dollar and was served was so blackened and charred as to be unrecognizable. It is a reflection of the lack of attention to quality--Although they did offer to cook another one, that plate should NEVER have left the kitchen in the first place! Even if the fois gras had been edible, it was served with a generous pile of bread cubes that were supposed to be cornbread but were more like a sweet poundcake. The pairing definitely did not work. The duck that the other diners in our party has was also uninspiring--cooked well but lacking in flavor. The choices for dessert were pretty much the same as you would expect at any restaurant. It was the height of fresh berry season, but this was not reflected in the dessert menu. Go for the happy hour, but avoid the restaurant!

Thank you for writing us. I apologize for your disappointing experience.

The foie gras should never be blackened, that is agreed. I am sorry that you didn't find the other accompaniments enjoyable. The dish does currently feature a sweetened corn bread, but our dishes change regularly. We are always happy to fix something else more to your liking if we are informed.

As for desserts, we do regularly feature seasonal fruits, and at the time have a brown butter tart with fresh berries.

I hope you join us again so that we can show you the this was an odd aberration.

Reviewed July 1, 2018

Alchemy presents itself as the haute cuisine, fine dining choice in Ashland. It isn't.

We travel to Ashland every year for the OSF and select restaurants from these ratings. For several years we have eaten at Alchemy only remembering we had been there before upon arriving at the restaurant.

Alchemy is certainly Ashland's most ambitious restaurant, but the food quality is average to less than average. Main courses are priced from the high 20s to high 30s, so the price to value relationship is off.

We are from California wine country and have a bevy of truly fine restaurants to chose from on a daily basis. Alchemy wouldn't make it in a more competitive locale. Food combinations can be inventive and a delight, but at Alchemy we found them to be weird and inappropriate.

Alchemy simply isn't worth $100+ before adding wine. Service is good. The premises is long in the tooth and needs freshening.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write us. I am sorry to hear that the experience did not live up to your expectations. That is disappointing to hear. I would hope that you expressed your sentiments to your server or the manager while you dined with us, as we are always willing to do whatever we can to better your time with us.

More information is always helpful, and I am sorry to hear that you simply found things weird and inappropriate. We, just like any business, continue to grow and refine. However, we hope to do so through constructive criticism. I would love to hear your in depth thoughts on what might be improved. I would welcome a call to discuss it further.

I also hope that you know that things change, and that you are willing to join us again some time in the future.

Reviewed June 20, 2018

We joined another couple for Alchemy's happy hour, and we were so pleased with the menu options that we decided to make it our dinner. My wife is vegan, so we were delighted to see so many menu items that fit her dietary needs. The food, the drinks, and the service, and the outdoor ambience were all excellent, and I'm sure we'll be returning soon.

1  Thank ilubliner
WinchesterInn, Owner at Alchemy Restaurant and Bar, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2018

Thank you so much for joining us! I am so glad to hear that we were able to accommodate your wife's dietary needs. The chef has made great effort to make sure everyone can have something delicious. I hope you have a chance to join us again soon.

Regards.

Reviewed June 14, 2018

Alchemy is in the Winchester Inn, 2 blocks from OSF. The food was superb though hardly cheap. Lovely garden with outdoor eating if you prefer. Inside can be a bit noisy (depending on where one is seated).

WinchesterInn, Owner at Alchemy Restaurant and Bar, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write us. I'm glad that you enjoyed your meal. We are indeed a higher priced restaurant, and strive to make sure that the quality of the food and service warrant the higher price point. If you are ever looking for more casual fare the bar is always open with a bistro menu, and daily happy hour.

Also, if noise is ever a factor (the dining room can get noisy when full), we also hope that you will let us know as we can try and find you a quieter table.

Please join us again soon!

Regards.

Been to Alchemy Restaurant and Bar? Share your experiences!