Amethyst Inn & Cottages
Motel Deska(Wernersville)
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
View Hotel
All reviewssteam showerstewruby roomb bsitting roommini honeymoonperson jacuzziantique shopsoff street parkingknick knackscoffee stationtopaz roomromantic weekendgas fireplaceprivate balconybreakfast was absolutely deliciousfruit cup
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 21 September 2011

Tucked away in a very small town with pretty much nothing to do except look for antiques, this was such a nice surprise!! I would go back to Adamstown again in a heartbeat, for no other reason than to stay in this quaint and comfortable Inn. The innkeeper was friendly and pleasant but non-intrusive. Our room was filled with antiques, but not in an "old dusty" way as I might have feared. We had the room on the first floor, which had an incredible tub and shower (as do all the rooms, from what I recall.) The breakfast was superb and quite more than was expected! While we didn't spend any time on the beautiful front porch (because we didn't want to leave our room!) but it was certainly very inviting. Hope to return again soon.

Room Tip: Most rooms appear to have fantastic jetted tubs, showers, and fireplaces. I don't think you can go wrong here.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 September 2011

My husband & I have been coming here in April & November 4 years now. Best place ever.
Wanda, Tom and Kristen are the best hosts. They make us feel at home and so welcomed. The best place ever!!! Of course, the antique shopping is a plus and see you all in November. Stephane and Arthur Leonetti

Room Tip: Rooms are quaint and so beautiful!!!!
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 September 2011

Made a last minute trip out to Lancaster County on Labor Day weekend. Everything was great. Easy to find location on a quiet street, nice off-street parking... very nice atmosphere... warm greeting by Kristen.. smooth check in.. nicely decorated room with private porch. The common areas looked great. We had a nice dinner at Stoudt's Brewery up the street and great breakfast the next morning. Check out with the bonus travel box of goodies was a nice touch I've never had a previous B&B's before... This one is a def.. return to in the future. :-)

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 July 2011

We booked two nights at the Amethyst Inn for our honeymoon. We'd picked the place because of it's close proximity to the antique stores nearby (which were great!), and the fact that it was something out of the ordinary as compared to a regular hotel.
The property is very nice, and the inn itself had a lot of charm. Furnishings were very nice, and the jacccuzzi was wonderful. My only complaint was that the shower was over the jaccuzzi and when you wanted to use just the shower, it wasn't a very powerful shower. It took forever to get my shampoo and conditioner out of my hair.
The innkeepers seemed nice, and a bit aloof. We were asked at the time of reservation, AND by the man who checked us in if we had any dietary restrictions. I am lactose intolerant, so we made sure to mention both times that I couldn't have any milk or cheese (unless it was a baked good like a muffin or cookie, I can handle that). Anyway, the first breakfast we were served a "breakfast casserole", which had cheese in it. I had bread and fruit, and that was fine. I must admit, I'm a pretty shy person, so I didn't want to make a big issue out of it and make the cook feel bad, so I just let it go. It was odd, however, that they didn't ask why I didn't eat my breakfast. I was hoping for something different the next day, but they served us quiches. My husband spoke up and said something to the lady about my dietary restriction and it seemed to be the first they heard of it, even though it had been mentioned at least twice. I don't like to make a big deal out of it, but if you're more outgoing than me, and you have special diet needs, be sure to please remind them more than twice of what you need.

Otherwise, everything else was nice. We also had mentioned we were on our honeymoon, and the website said you'd get a bottle of something and a CD, and we didn't get that, but it's ok because we really don't drink. They leave tiny gifts on your bed each day and the first day was a small bag of jelly beans and the second was tea and a scented tea cozy.

I'm really not sure if I'd come back to this particular B&B again, but it did teach me a lesson in realizing not to be afraid of saying what I need.

We stayed in the Topaz room.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
AdamstownInns, Owner at Amethyst Inn & Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2011

Thank you for choosing the Amethyst Inn for your honeymoon. Yes, we agree the antique shopping is awesome. There are so many eclectic shops to explore.

As part of our ongoing concern for the environment and the green conservation movement, we utilized water saving shower heads. We were unaware that this was an issue for our guests and have since replaced the shower heads in several guest rooms with shower heads that can be adjusted for different water flows. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

We are also sorry we misunderstood your diet restrictions. We understood that as long as the item was baked it was acceptable; we did not realize that the “baked” only related to muffins and breads.

We have two new assistant innkeepers which unfortunately missed the notation concerning your honeymoon status. We have mailed you a gift certificate for your inconvenience in the hopes you visit with us again.

Reviewed 20 June 2011

We stayed at the Amethyst Inn (part of the Adamstown Inns & Cottages family) as a family of four and loved it. Each of us, from the 44 year-old experienced B&Ber to the 9 year-old critic/princess, found something to love about the Amethyst Inn. We were so happy that we canceled our reservations for the next stop of our trip and stayed on at the Amethyst. I will break it down into accommodations/atmosphere, location and service.

Accommodations/Atmosphere: Right when we drove up, I knew we had a winner. A well-loved and cared-for B&B announces comfort and a special stay from first sight. The Amethyst inn introduces itself with terraced landscaping and a purple, gold and lavender Victorian facade. The wrap-around porch is bejeweled with pottery, chimes and special touches. We had the Cobalt suite with two bedrooms and a spacious bathroom with a large corner whirpool tub. The rooms were decked out with Victorian period detail and charm. No chintz or cheese here. There were porcelain figurines, old photos, teacups and plenty of linens. The beds were done up very nicely. This could have been a romantic retreat for the Mommy and Daddy and we would have been very happy never to leave the room. But this was not that trip and we needed the two kids to share a bed and for us to share a bed. The queen bed was very good. The full bed was very soggy and appeared to be more an antique futon of sorts than a bed. This was the only complaint of the stay and one that we could overlook but I could see how others would be very bothered by the unsupportive mattress. It just pushed us closer together to meet in the gully in the middle of the mattress and we turned that into a positive. The room has a back porch/balcony with a wooden swing and that made the suite feel more open. We were overall very pleased with the suite and with the one caveat on the bed, would highly recommend this suite to other families or just a loving couple.

Location: The Amethyst Inn is located on a safe and charming residential Main street. For us city folk, Main street was right out of a 19th century story book. Adamstown itself is central Amish country and was a great place from which to launch our adventures. We were able to see the farm country and do everything we wanted in Lancaster County. We had planned on then driving to and staying in Hershey for the "chocolate" and theme park part of our trip. We were all so thrilled with the Amethyst that we stayed on and made the 40 minute drive to Hershey.

Service: The innkeepers struck a perfect balance of friendliness and being welcoming without being annoying or intrusive. They were familiar with the area. Kristin was a big help and it was obvious she cared about our experience. As for service, the innkeepers did everything they should have done but then more. They cleaned the rooms and made the beds each day, supplied us with new towels and made sure we had what we needed. They fed us good (and not remarkable) breakfasts. They made us feel special and cared for. Each day we had at least one special present waiting for us in our room. I do not want to ruin any surprises but this extra step elevated the Amethyst from a very good B&B to a memory-maker.

The amethyst glass made the dining room sparkle. The soaps and snacks and coffee and presents and all of the special touches were appreciated and made our stay better. The value is crazy good. Stay here if you can. If it is a little out of your budget, cut somewhere else. Make it happen. This is a special place. The only reason for the 4-stars was the bed and good but unexceptional food.

Room Tip: Look at the rooms on the website before reserving.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Scottness_Monster
AdamstownInns, Owner at Amethyst Inn & Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2011

Thank you so much for your informative comments and your detailed review. We would like to especially thank you for bringing to our attention the support on the antique Davenport Bed. We were unaware that the structural support for the bed had broken. Although we are sad to see an antique be replaced, we will be purchasing a new sofa bed with a memory foam mattress. We thought the Davenport Bed nicely complimented the décor of the room; however, our guests’ comfort is much more important to us. Thus, the new sofa bed should be arriving within the next month. Again, we’re delighted you enjoyed your visit and hope to see you again.