“Not planning to return”

Quality Inn Allentown
Ranked #16 of 31 Hotels in Allentown
Reviewed 10 August 2017

Paid $76 plus tax for a room with two queen beds. As soon as we walked in the door, my daughter and I noticed a sweet odor similar to urine. It wasn't overpowering and she seemed to notice it more than I did. We couldn't locate the source of the smell and I happened to have a small spray bottle of linen/room spray, so we sprayed the carpet and that seemed to help. We were on the first floor facing the rear...with a good view of the garbage dumpsters and trash that didn't make it inside littering the shrubs under our windows.

The room looked fairly clean at first but bending down to plug in a phone charger in a power strip (not a lot of outlets) I noticed the carpet between the fridge and the tv stand/dresser hadn't been touched by a vacuum (some old peanuts lying on the floor, dust, other visible dirt) and there were stains on one of the comforters.

We weren't given a wifi password but found the unsecured guest wifi service on our phones. It disconnects as soon as you leave whatever page you're on and you have to search for it again and log in (by clicking on it). The staff has a secure wifi account. No card near tv listing channels, had to go searching for it and found a half sheet of paper in the Guest Services binder on the desk that listed channels that didn't come in....and none of the channels came in clearly (audio was fine, picture was fuzzy). The channel listing was out-of-date and HB0 didn't come in at all.

Breakfast is included in the room but given the state of the building and the irritated front desk staff we encountered at check-in, we weren't tempted to stay.

Room Tip: Ask to see room first, I wouldn't stay on first floor rear again for security reasons.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family

Reviewed 9 August 2017

The front desk was very slow in getting me a room...very inexperienced....they did honor my traveler coupon...maybe that was the reason.

Room was OK, clean, sort of remodeled. Better than average.

Breakfast was OK...they did not have it ready on time.

Check out was slow also.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
2  Thank Mike H
Reviewed 17 July 2017

That's what you get when you go "rate shopping". I don't know why Allentown is so expensive, it's not all that special...and certainly can't hold a candle to Harrisburg for the overnight stay..but I pushed the travel a bit and did one more hour on the road, stopping in Allentown this night. This night cost me close to $200 including taxes, and it was the lowest in the area. This hotel appears to be the lodging of choice of some local businesses, so lot of folks look like they stay their frequently, and for fairly long periods of time. Lots of people smoking in the parking lot, lot hanging around the lobby. The building is tired and out dated, the room just didn't feel clean..and I was glad to leave early the next morning. Lots of other choices in the area...I'll go that route next time.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 July 2017 via mobile

I needed a place to stay for one night in Allentown that was inexpensive and clean. I did not expect luxury accommodations. It was exactly what I expected. Free breakfast. The WiFi is only available in the lobby. Parking is ample.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Frank L
Reviewed 2 July 2017 via mobile

We spent the weekend in Allentown and took our Chocolate Lab. This was a fun pet friendly hotel. Breakfast was typical, if you missed it, you really didn't miss much unless you like powdered eggs. We had a problem with over billing and a desk person who got on the phone and complained that she didn't want to deal with people asking about their bill. After 30 minutes we were told it was corrected only to see even more money charged to our card. Hopefully they fix their billing with the refurbishment of the hotel.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Ty_Swartz
Reviewed 19 June 2017

Avoid this property. It is undergoing renovations. The old rooms are badly maintained, with a problem we've never encountered in over 40 years of travel, here and abroad: the bathroom door was missing the hardware needed in order to close it. According to management, *all* the shabby:rooms have open bathroom doors. Just as well if you don't use the bathtub: the tub is slick, and there's nothing to prevent you from falling (no safety bar, no towel bar, no soap dish to grab onto). Drywall is stored in the corridors.

Room Tip: Wait for the renovations, but even then, don't expect much
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled on business
Ron S, Manager at Quality Inn Allentown, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2017

Dear Margaret,

Thank you for taking the time out to provide us your valuable feedback. We appreciate it very much. I believe we have a miscommunication error. When you called the front desk, the front desk understood it as you were requesting for a lock on the bathroom door. The room you stayed in had a newly renovated bathroom. All of our bathtubs have grab bars which can support up to 250lbs. This is the requirement of the law. We apologize you did not enjoy your stay but as you have seen that we are renovating our property, we are working to provide our guests a fresh clean look.

We thank you for staying with us and we apologize for any inconvenience you had during your stay.

Ron
Manager
Quality Inn

Reviewed 30 May 2017

we get there we had requested first floor with tub and shower they put us in a handicapped room no tub the manager gave me all the reasons as to why we could use a shower as a tub put your wheelchair in the shower or use shower chair I told him the reason for a tub was so I could put my butt in the tub I hate showers so we are moved to a another room the commode was loose every time it was used you had fear it would shift one way speaking of commode it did get stopped up we reported it we come back late in afternoon our bed was made but they saved the unstopping for our embarrassment we pass 12-15 people we open our door here comes mr plumber and mr air freshner spraying heavily and ms maid trying to clean bathroom at least 5-6 others looked in for the show shouldn't this have been fixed as soon as we reported it first night I had to go get towels next day I asked for sheet change and clean towels of course the sheets were not changed next day I asked for clean sheets and towels we got sheets but no towels oh and the rate we paid was 100 dollars plus taxes this place should be no more than 50 a night ill never go back thank god

Room Tip: go somewhere else not worth the trouble
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple