“A hidden gem in the Lehigh Valley for Middle Eastern cuisine”

Sahara Mediterranean Cuisine
Ranked #43 of 517 Restaurants in Allentown
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Reviewed October 5, 2018

I found this place through a search on my iPhone for mid-eastern food when I was in the Wescosville area for other business, and decided to give it a try because it had a great rating on Yelp. When I pulled up in front of the place, a smallish non-descript space in a strip center, I was unsure, and then when I walked in, I really started second-guessing my decision: my companion and I were the only customers (granted, we were a little early, but at almost 5:00 PM, it was approaching dinnertime). But what a pleasant surprise this turned out to be! The food and service were both excellent. Everything we tried was fresh, well-prepared with quality ingredients, and delicious, from the lamb right down to the hummus--among the best Middle Eastern food I have had at any restaurant. And the prices were quite reasonable, so this restaurant offers excellent value. It was clean and had a pleasant atmosphere, and the proprietors are very friendly and catered to us. They can accommodate those who are avoiding gluten and are willing to tweak almost any dish to your liking. This will now be my go-to place for Middle Eastern cuisine in the Allentown area. It appeared that most of their business during the time we were there was take-out, but they have table service with very attentive staff. Highly recommended!

1  Thank gentlecritic

Reviewed June 22, 2018

While visiting the Lehigh Valley for the week I have been eating a different ethnic cuisine each day for dinner. FINALLY a place that surpassed my expectations. I did my usual appetizers for dinner. I got the grape leaves, mutabal w/ pita, fried meat kibbe, and a coconut date ball. The portions are generous. The place is open and bright and casual and very clean. The ladies working there are personable and friendly. I did take-out so had a 1/2 hour ride home and still the kibbe was crispy and still warm enough to dig right into. I will go back there in a flash and tell my sister to eat there also. Everything was seasoned to perfection. I just want to keep eating! Thank you Sahara Mediterranean you made my week!!!!

Reviewed October 23, 2017

The Lehigh Valley has a number of good Mediterranean restaurants, including the Turkish restaurant Aci Halal & several Syrian restaurants, all in center-city Allentown. Nonetheless, Sahara has become our go-to place. The quality is consistent and always very good -- Metabbal, Chicken Kabob & Chicken Shawarma are among our favorites. The service is always friendly; the chef/owners, always welcoming; the restaurant, always neat & clean. Yes, the location is also better for us -- we're in western Lehigh County -- but it's the food that keeps us coming back!

Reviewed September 10, 2017

Was looking for something different while in the area. Found this on Google maps.
Reviews were good so we gave it a try and were delighted. This physically unassuming restaurant with modest decor is in a little strip mall off Hamilton Blvd. We were greeted warmly by a smiling lady, who we soon found out was Georgette, a chef/owner. The metabbal appetizer was yummy. The lamb kabobs were outstanding. The rice was perfect. The chopped vegetable salad was nicely dressed and fresh. The hummus was the best we have had in years. The gyro was her own meat prep done in house and delicious. The portions were generous. We raved about her food and she treated us with baklava and a date ball which were scrumptious. I can not say enough good things about the food, service and care extended to us. This restaurant is run with love of people, love of food and humble pride.

Reviewed August 23, 2017

Food is delicious.

Items ordered:
Meat Pie
Fried Kibbe
Combination Kabob for 2.

Those Kabobs were perfectly seasoned and cooked perfectly. Staff is super-friendly. A very warm and inviting restaurant.

Definitely recommend