“Wonderful Anniversary Dinner ”

Henry's Salt of the Sea
Ranked #1 of 481 Restaurants in Allentown
Price range: US$20 - US$25
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 11 March 2018 via mobile

My husband and I were searching Trip Advisor for a seafood place for our anniversary and came across such good reviews for Henry’s. I called for reservations around noon and all that was available was a booth at 8:30 or the bar at 5. We were hesitant to take either but decided on the bar. Parking is a bit of a challenge but after circling the block we got a nice space out front. The entire bar is set up for dinner, it’s not the kind of bar where you just sit and drink. It looks cramped when you first sit down, but it actually wasn’t bad at all. We felt very welcomed by the staff and our drink orders were taken immediately by Frank. We were given ample time to review the menu and the specials without feeling rushed. After ordering we were directed to the salad bar which was small but fresh and tasty. We had bacon-wrapped brown sugar scallops for an appetizer. They came with a nice horseradish sauce and were very good. I got the Lobster Francaise which consisted of 4 generous pieces of lobster with tomatoes, capers, and mushrooms and it was amazing! My husband got the grouper special which was topped with crabmeat and also exceptional. It’s rare we get fish around here that tastes that fresh. We shared creme brûlée for dessert and it was the best we ever had. The food is all cooked out in the open behind the far end of the bar so you can actually watch everything being prepared. I definitely recommend reservations, maybe a day in advance for a weekend. At first we were hesitant about bar seating but now that we’ve been there, i think we would prefer the bar to a booth. You can’t beat the attentiveness of the staff. Can’t wait to come back to try the steaks as they looked wonderful too.

Reviewed 10 March 2018 via mobile

Was in Allentown on business and a colleague found good reviews on Henry’s. Looks & has feel of an old neighborhood bar/restaurant and upon entering wouldn’t have expected the quality and quantify of food. Tuna appetizer was great and the Veal Victoria was delicious with tender veal covered in crab. Colleague has the Seafood scampi. Portions large so go hungry! Our waitress was Joyce who has been working there for 10+ years. In addition to having a great attitude and witty she was very helpful in explaining the entrees. Meals prepared in open behind bar. This is not a high end atmosphere but definitely a gem in Allentown.

Reviewed 4 March 2018

We absolutely LOVE this place. It's our Go-To restaurant for special occasions. This is the end of a row with a seating at the bar, booths on the side and booths and tables in the back. The chef's cook behind the bar. There's a nice salad bar. The service is always spectacular and the food spot on. We've been eating here for >30 years and still love it. You must make reservations well in advance.

Reviewed 3 March 2018 via mobile

I heard about this restaurant so I wanted to give it a try. You usually need reservations. The place is small and somewhat dark. The people are friendly and the food was good. There is a salad bar. The customer population appears to be local and senior. If I was in the mood for a fish dinner, I would go again.

Reviewed 3 March 2018 via mobile

Been dining here for years. Tucked into a residential neighborhood, it has not been updated for 30+ years,but it’s everyone’s favorite seafood restaurant. Great salad bar and the best lemon butter scallops I’ve ever had!