“For the cost, very good”

Holiday Inn Allentown Center City
Ranked #13 of 31 Hotels in Allentown
Reviewed 24 October 2011

We booked this hotel because it was convenient location. A group of us were doing the wine trail and this was smack in the middle. Given that it was in the city we though there would be a decent night life for dinner and drinks. Coming from the beautiful vineyards to the city center was a bit shocking. I can’t say too much for the area. A little intimidating (and I am from the NYC area) but being that we were in a bigger group it was not bad. That being said, I would not have walked around alone.

As for the hotel, the room was clean and neat as was the lobby. For the price we could not beat it. It had everything we needed, a comfy bed a clean bathroom and parking available for 6 bucks. Plus they had a great bar! We actually went to dinner and came back to hang at the bar. We had a blast and did not have to go anywhere!

The only hang up was when we 1st checked in the front desk gave us a key to someone else’s room. We went down and told them, the apologized and gave us $40 worth of free breakfast the following morning, which was great and much needed after the last night at the bar 

All in all good stay. If you are looking for convenient and priced right this is 100% the right hotel.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Kristin B

Reviewed 23 October 2011

Hotel is right in the heart of the downtown area. If you are from outside the area getting to and from the hotel can be a challenge with all the one way streets in Allentown.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Jan M
Reviewed 20 October 2011

Check in to the hotel for my group was very easy. All my room keys were ready. The front desk representatives were very nice. We did encounter a small problem. This hotel only has two elevators and one was shut down being serviced. Unfortunately this caused a HUGE back up trying to get to our rooms. Not only was my group checking in but there was also a wedding party at the hotel and a snowboarder’s special event in the area. My room was nice. I believe I was in a suite which had a seating area, a king bed, and a small kitchenette with a mini fridge and microwave. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. I don’t mind noise, but if you do you may want to request a room not facing the front of the hotel or ask for a quiet floor. I could clearly hear people talking loudly in front of the building and I was on the 5th floor. You can also hear people in the halls. If you’re a light sleeper this may be a problem for you. The shower water pressure was fine and the hotel uses Bath and Body Works bath products. Right across the street from the hotel is a natural food store and a block and a half away is Brew Works which has a late night menu and offers tours. It’s a decent place for a late night bite and all the beers on the menu are a bonus. I would definitely not wander around the area on your own. No one in my group encountered a problem, but there were some “riff-raffs” in the area. The hotel offers an indoor pool, which is always fun for a group. They also have a fitness center that I didn’t visit. I also did not visit the lobby bar. But I can say it did get busy there in the evenings. Altogether good stay, I would stay again if I was in the area for a couple of days.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing the front of the hotel. It can get a bit noisy with people smoking and tal...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank cmjosesolivan
Reviewed 2 October 2011

The lobby is well appointed, pretty actually, staff was helpful, polite and pleasant. Bathroom shower water temp. was excellent and so was the pressure. Only major complaint was how easily you could hear what was going on in the next room--conversations and squeaking mattresses if you get what I mean. In addition, little things in the room were annoying: No listing for TV channels and quite often the name of the channel (like ESPN, ABC) didn't appear on the TV screen, had to call the front desk to find CSN and ESPN, the movie guide was for Sept--we were there Oct. 1st, the in-room hotel guide (paper, not on TV) had no info. on the times their restaurant was open, had to call down to the front desk again and, lastly, no extra blanket available in the room. Minor annoyances that would've made the chain look like they were on top of things. The room was very clean and attractive, parking was convenient, and there is a superb/top notch/beautiful restaurant right across the street.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank carolynnGlassboro_NJ
Reviewed 19 September 2011

So, I have been to Allentown many times and this hotel is average. No glitz no glammour but gets the job done. It could use some updating and painting inside the rooms, the doors, and the bathroom. It was clean and quiet and roomy. I had an issue with the toilet leaking on the floor above me which came down through my light fixture in the bathroom. They stopped the leak, provided extra towels, etc. relatively quickly. Has a cheap parking garage next to it and the hotel bar is small but nice. I would stay again, it was ok for Center City Allentown, because that "area" is not the best.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank emstraveler349
Reviewed 5 September 2011

Friends and I stayed here for one night over Labor Day weekend to attend a concert at the Allentown Fairgrounds. Proximity to the venue was my main consideration in choosing this location, as it was less than two miles away. I arrived an hour early but had no problems getting my room. Check in was a bit slow as there was one person doing the actual transactions, but others behind the front desk made sure to acknowledge those of us who were waiting to let us know someone would be with us in a moment. Everyone seemed friendly, the room was spacious and clean (with the exception of the phone book on the lower shelf of the bedside table - I could have written my name in the dust), and quiet. I never heard any sound from any of the other rooms, even though the hotel seemed quite busy. Towels were plentiful, soft and oversized, and the toiletries were adequate. Parking was conveniently located in a structure behind the hotel for $6 unlimited access, and was actually manned by a human, not a machine like most garages these days. They were also offering shuttle service to the Fairgrounds. After the show we had drinks in the bar, which was also quite busy and lively, even at 1 a.m. We didn't utilize any of the other amenities, and I doubt I will have a need to go to Allentown again anytime soon, but I would hesitate to book this property again.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank BHL
Reviewed 13 August 2011

Hotel is one of several downtown high rise buildings nestled in the heart of Allentown, with many services and attractions within easy walking distance.
Lobby is spacious and quasi moderne with full restaurant and lounge nearby.
Hotel staff was very pleasant and friendly but at time of check-in they seemed understaffed. This resulted in a very long wait at the registration desk while clerical errors were corrected.
Guest room was clean, spacious and quiet. Excellent room service.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo