Pioneer Tunnel Coal Mine & Steam Train
Review Highlights
Mrs V

The information by our conductor was great! I was there when I was young now my 6 year old... read more

Reviewed December 11, 2018
julesv1955
Ashland, Pennsylvania
via mobile
Been here many times and kids love it!

Really great tour! Anthracite coal mining is what Schuylkill County was all about! I grew up... read more

Reviewed November 12, 2018
Ann K

All reviews bring a jacket train ride gift shop hard life tour guide above ground light jacket nearby town great tour family history combo ticket answered all our questions walk around great attraction knoebels amusement park amazing experience strip mining
Reviewed August 8, 2017 via mobile

Family of 6 ,including 2 young and 2 teens. We did the combo of train and mine tour to save money. The rides are VERY bumpy..just be aware of that in case you have back or other issues. The guides on both tours were extremely informative and well spoken. The information was very educational and even our 7 year old learned a lot. We enjoyed getting out on the mine ride and seeing everything close up. Might want to make sure you have a sweater or jacket. It was super cold in the mine. We have a whole new repect for those before us that worked in this area. Thank goodness for progress. Would definitely recommend this.

Date of experience: August 2017
Reviewed August 2, 2017

Good Mine Tour - the Guide was funny and told just enough details about the mine. I had previously gone on another coal mine tour further north in Pa. where you had to seemingly go down a lot deeper for the tour - I liked this Pioneer Tunnel Mine Tour better because it didn't seem as oppressive(all the weight above) down in this mine. I recommend a jacket, long pants and a hat for the drips. Also - as a fan of steam trains - I really enjoyed the short ride on the coal powered steam train that they have there on site - it takes you out back to an abandoned strip mine and they give you a little talk about that operation.

Reviewed August 1, 2017 via mobile

If in the mid section of PA...I 81 area..take the time to go to the coal mine! We are in our seventies and thoroughly enjoyed the ride into an authentic coal mine. Roy, our leader, is a miner and did a super job of explaining mining. We even got to get out and walk around a bit! Do take a sweater...really cold down there! Oh, they have a steam train also..perfect for the kids!

Date of experience: August 2017
Reviewed August 1, 2017

My wife and I recently took our 2 year old granddaughter away for the weekend while mommy was recovering from a small surgery and found the Pioneer Tunnel Coal Mine & Steam Train. Reading the reviews it seemed like a good place to keep the little one occupied.

While she may have been a little young to understand everything, she did enjoy the train ride and even the park across the street. Us grown-ups were educated in the mine and its operation of years gone by. I would caution those who choose to take the mine tour - bring a light jacket and perhaps a hat since it is chilly in the mine and ground water seeps down and does drip quite a bit on you.

Over all it was a very nice and informative attraction that I would highly recommend if you have an interest in the history of coal mining or mining in general.

Reviewed July 29, 2017

We decided to check this out while we were in the area and we are glad we did. Our kids 3 and 6 loved both the train ride and the mine tour. The Mine tour was very cold, so make sure your bring a jacket and wear capris or long pants, sneakers are also recommended as it's dark and people crowd around to hear the tour guide. Our tour guides on both tours were very knowledgeable and charismatic. The restaurant on site had good food and was very inexpensive, and the gift shop items were very reasonable. Between both tours and lunch we spent about 2 hours. Check Groupon before you go, we got a great deal on adult tour combo tickets there.

1  Thank Monica M