“Interestingand Fascinating Tour”

Pioneer Tunnel Coal Mine & Steam Train
Ranked #1 of 5 things to do in Ashland
More attraction details
Owner description: Tour Pennsylvania's mining history at these mines.
Reviewed 4 October 2017

We enjoyed this tour. It's far in the coal mine which can be a bit scary but interesting and informative. It makes you realize what those that work in the coal mines are up against. I have a new respect for the job they do. If you're claustrophobic it can be a bit intimidating but once you get inside you're in a large "room" that makes it not seem as confined. I must admit though, we were glad to see daylight as were others with us. If you want to get a feel for this type of work, take this tour. I know I'm glad we did. We did not take the train ride.

Reviewed 13 September 2017

Went with some friends to do both. It's an attraction that's good for adults and kids alike. Ask for the discounts as they have several to offer. The tunnel took you underground, where you exited the "coal train" and walked through the mine itself. Quite dark in places and the footing was a little uneven. Our guide was very knowledgeable. For the steam train, if you're a buff, this is not the biggest and best we have ever been on, but it was very nice.

Reviewed 8 September 2017

Reason for my visit was to find out more about coal mining; and I thought this would be the perfect place to visit. Although I found the attraction a bit hard to find.

I found the price to be very reasonable. Everyone that I came into contact with were very courteous. Tour guides were knowledgeable about the area and mine and a bit funny. They also allowed time for photo opportunities.

Steam train ride was short and very bumpy but tour guide advised of the fact. Coal mine was a little chilly, so take a light jacket. Coal mine floor was wet and a little muddy so I would wear walking shoes; there's a little bit of walking within the mine.

Attraction has a picnic area and playground. My only bad experience was when a baby cried for the majority of the time; it was kind of hard to hear what the tour guide was saying sometimes.

Very glad I made the trip and would highly recommend to anyone who wants to know about coal mining.

Reviewed 5 September 2017

We visited here with our daughter and 2Grandkids..was A nice visit We brought lunch and ate at picnic tables supplied there in a nice park area after the coal mine tour we had a train ride up the mountain was day of eclipse so made it straight special..my Grandson especially enjoyed hearing all about coal mining and how hard alive it was then!

Reviewed 31 August 2017

What do two "semi elderly grandparents" do for a daytrip with their 12 year old grandson, who just happened to study rocks and fossils this past year in school? Why they take him to probably the best real life experience in the PA area. And, to make it even better it just happens to be the town where said grandparents were born and raised. We of course have had several trips back to our hometown's tourist attraction over the years but this one was just as interesting.
The Lokie ride over the beautiful mountain where we played as children was great. Listening to the whistle blowing, which in fact can be heard throughout the town was nostalgic. The young man, James Caulfield, who gave us the presentation was informative and gave the impression of really enjoying his job.
The mine tour, was as expected a little damp, cold (pack a jacket) , dark and REAL. I pointed out to our grandson this was the real deal, not pretend as in Disney. Our miner guide, Joe Kehoe (yes that was his real name) , was knowledgeable and humorous. You realize you are deep underground but feel safe nevertheless. We all left with a better understanding , if only a touch, of the hardships our fathers and grandfathers faced just to put food on our table.
What kind of grandparent trip doesn't end in a gift shop where prices are kept cost effective for trinkets and fossils you won't find anywhere else.
Oh and if you have the opportunity to drive down the main street in town notice the hard work that went into the hero banners of all the veterans from the town from all wars and conflicts. .