“Very Interesting”

Pioneer Tunnel Coal Mine & Steam Train
Ranked #1 of 5 things to do in Ashland
More attraction details
Owner description: Tour Pennsylvania's mining history at these mines.
Reviewed October 7, 2017

I really enjoyed this attraction The coal mine tour sends you into an actual coal mine that was mined into the 1930's. One inside the mine our tour guide Rick took us to several areas and explained the process of coal mining. Several dummies are located in the mine to show what each job looked like. It was cold with water dripping down but the real deal. The train ride was delayed over 20 minutes without any reason given. However it gives great views of the mountains around the area and shows a mountain where mining was done. This tour guide talked a lot about bootlegging mining, the history of the Centralia mine fire, how coal mining affected the area's economy, and mining on a nearby mountain. I strongly suggest seeing both tours.

All reviews
"back in the day"
in 5 reviews
"combo ticket"
in 3 reviews
"answered all our questions"
"great tour"
"great attraction"
"knoebels amusement park"
"learn how"

Reviewed October 4, 2017

We enjoyed this tour. It's far in the coal mine which can be a bit scary but interesting and informative. It makes you realize what those that work in the coal mines are up against. I have a new respect for the job they do. If you're claustrophobic it can be a bit intimidating but once you get inside you're in a large "room" that makes it not seem as confined. I must admit though, we were glad to see daylight as were others with us. If you want to get a feel for this type of work, take this tour. I know I'm glad we did. We did not take the train ride.

Reviewed September 13, 2017

Went with some friends to do both. It's an attraction that's good for adults and kids alike. Ask for the discounts as they have several to offer. The tunnel took you underground, where you exited the "coal train" and walked through the mine itself. Quite dark in places and the footing was a little uneven. Our guide was very knowledgeable. For the steam train, if you're a buff, this is not the biggest and best we have ever been on, but it was very nice.

Reviewed September 8, 2017

Reason for my visit was to find out more about coal mining; and I thought this would be the perfect place to visit. Although I found the attraction a bit hard to find.

I found the price to be very reasonable. Everyone that I came into contact with were very courteous. Tour guides were knowledgeable about the area and mine and a bit funny. They also allowed time for photo opportunities.

Steam train ride was short and very bumpy but tour guide advised of the fact. Coal mine was a little chilly, so take a light jacket. Coal mine floor was wet and a little muddy so I would wear walking shoes; there's a little bit of walking within the mine.

Attraction has a picnic area and playground. My only bad experience was when a baby cried for the majority of the time; it was kind of hard to hear what the tour guide was saying sometimes.

Very glad I made the trip and would highly recommend to anyone who wants to know about coal mining.