“Absolutely amazing little museum!!”

Pioneer Tunnel Coal Mine & Steam Train
Ranked #1 of 5 things to do in Ashland
More attraction details
Owner description: Tour Pennsylvania's mining history at these mines.
Reviewed 16 October 2017

I am a big fan of small "mom and pop" like museums. Clearly, this place is small and humble operation so ask yourself when was the last time you went inside what was once a real working mine? For me, and for most, the answer is never. Once you inside you will feel the awe of the hard work and dedication these miners gave to get coal out of the mines for the industrial nation to do its work. The ride into the mine is fascinating as you feel very grind and bump of the track and the cold 49 degrees is a reminder of some of the conditions these miners had to work in. The tour was incredibly educational and leaves you with an unforgettable impression. I fully support these type of institutions that aim to preserve the history and heritage of many things long gone.

Reviewed 16 October 2017

We took ride on train and had history of the coal mine area then rode into the coal mine. The history of the coal mining in the surrounding area was very interesting

Reviewed 7 October 2017

I really enjoyed this attraction The coal mine tour sends you into an actual coal mine that was mined into the 1930's. One inside the mine our tour guide Rick took us to several areas and explained the process of coal mining. Several dummies are located in the mine to show what each job looked like. It was cold with water dripping down but the real deal. The train ride was delayed over 20 minutes without any reason given. However it gives great views of the mountains around the area and shows a mountain where mining was done. This tour guide talked a lot about bootlegging mining, the history of the Centralia mine fire, how coal mining affected the area's economy, and mining on a nearby mountain. I strongly suggest seeing both tours.

Reviewed 4 October 2017

We enjoyed this tour. It's far in the coal mine which can be a bit scary but interesting and informative. It makes you realize what those that work in the coal mines are up against. I have a new respect for the job they do. If you're claustrophobic it can be a bit intimidating but once you get inside you're in a large "room" that makes it not seem as confined. I must admit though, we were glad to see daylight as were others with us. If you want to get a feel for this type of work, take this tour. I know I'm glad we did. We did not take the train ride.

Reviewed 13 September 2017

Went with some friends to do both. It's an attraction that's good for adults and kids alike. Ask for the discounts as they have several to offer. The tunnel took you underground, where you exited the "coal train" and walked through the mine itself. Quite dark in places and the footing was a little uneven. Our guide was very knowledgeable. For the steam train, if you're a buff, this is not the biggest and best we have ever been on, but it was very nice.