Pioneer Tunnel Coal Mine & Steam Train
Review Highlights
Been here many times and kids love it!

Reviewed 5 days ago
Ann K
Wonder what it is like to go deep into a coal mine?

Reviewed 1 week ago
ROSE Z
ROCHESTER

All reviews bring a jacket train ride coal mine gift shop hard life tour guide long pants above ground back in the day family history combo ticket answered all our questions great tour walk around amazing experience great attraction knoebels amusement park
Reviewed 5 days ago

Really great tour! Anthracite coal mining is what Schuylkill County was all about! I grew up close to this mine and it still fascinates me. To think men and CHILDREN worked in deplorable conditions to make a better life for their families. It is damp inside but you are in a mine. It is lit and you do a small bit of walking. We were there in summer and did not take a jacket. Our grandchildren have been here and they enjoyed it also. Take the train ride you learn some more about mining in the area.

Reviewed 1 week ago

We took a special needs group to the Pioneer tunnel coal mine,the first week of October. It was the most enjoyable experience of the trip. It was dark, cold, and exciting to go in the coal mine. The tour guide
talked about the many men, and yes children who worked long hours for very little money in dangerous conditions. Some of the group had relatives who worked here when they came from Europe to start their lives in the U.S. the tour is almost an hour long for little money $8.00 Go on internet for more info. re: Times of operation. Good for all ages.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This is the second year that we have taken my son to the Fall festival train ride. He LOVES getting to see the train, be on the train, and go to pick out a pumpkin. His favorite part is watching the steam come out when they do the whistle! Great fall activity for the kids!

1  Thank Samantha M
Reviewed October 10, 2018 via mobile

You get a coal mine tour, where you go into an actual mine and learn about the mining techniques of the anthracite coal mining region and era. You will various cuts, shutes old coal Car, which a few were converted into passenger cars and learn about the work conditions of the miners.

Then take s scenic ride behind an old steam engine from the coal mining era up the dude if the maintain and look over views and learn about the different types of mines found in the region, strip mining and bootleg mining. All in all a great place. The staff and crews and tour guides were very friendly and full of knowledge to share. Highly recommend to everyone.

Also about 40 minutes from knoebels and very close to centralia and the graffiti highway.

Reviewed September 23, 2018

It was a great experience. It makes me appreciate what a real hard life for the miners. The guides were very informative and interesting. They explained things very well.

Reviewed September 21, 2018

What a great place for adults and children! An exceptional place to learn about the history of parents and grandparents. Definitely recommend.

Reviewed September 5, 2018

We had a great guide both in the mine tour part and the steam train part. Both were very informative regarding they history of coal mining in that area and Pennsylvania. There is a wonderful park across the street to spend the afternoon. We missed the museum as it was not open the day we were there, but hope to get back again soon.

Reviewed September 4, 2018

This place is sitting in a quiet little town called Ashland. It is recommended to take steam train and mine tour combo.

Reviewed August 30, 2018

I visited Pioneer Tunnel Coal Mine & Steam Train during a 5th grade field trip. I'd always wanted to visit again, so this past weekend I did. It was so historically enlightening. There are two parts of the tour: coal mine and/or steam train. I recommend doing both.

I did the steam train first. Please note, if you have severe back problems or get sick easily from bumpy rides, this is NOT the venture for you. The half-mile train ride is very bumpy but worth it. The conductor is very knowledgeable and offers a unique look at mining from above ground. It's also a hint of irony as you look out over the beautiful valley and see wind turbines in the distance.

The coal mine tour was amazing, emotional, damp and historically significant. First, let me say, if you are claustrophobic, afraid of the dark, grossed out by moss and dampness, are wearing flip-flops or similar shoes--this is NOT the venture for you. The trip underground features an inside look at a formerly working coal mine. On the way in, I got emotional realizing that my grandfather worked in a mine. It's not a place I'd want to work. It's damp, its cold, it's dark, and it's scary knowing that you are underground. Once we got to the "end of the line" and did the actual walking tour of the gangways, it was very historically enlightening. Our tour guide was very knowledgeable and there are a lot of opportunities for interesting photos. I recommend close-toed shoes (although I wore walking sandals and had no problems) and a sweater/jacket/hoodie.

It took me less than two hours to do both tours. I went at the end of the day and was able to do both before closing. They also have a nice, affordable gift shop, with some great books on the area. There is also food, a picnic/playground area, and Centralia (another interesting place to visit) right down the road.

Reviewed August 29, 2018

My wife and I and our three older teens visited here on a rainy day. I really wasn't sure what to expect, never having been on a coal mine tour before, but we ended up having a great time! It was exciting and interesting on many levels. Feeling the temperature plummet as you enter the dark mine tunnel was really cool, and the ride itself is fun. Then walking around and listening to the informative and entertaining guide just made it really enjoyable. Highly recommended .