“Fascinating experience”

Pioneer Tunnel Coal Mine & Steam Train
Ranked #1 of 5 things to do in Ashland
More attraction details
Owner description: Tour Pennsylvania's mining history at these mines.
Reviewed September 23, 2018

It was a great experience. It makes me appreciate what a real hard life for the miners. The guides were very informative and interesting. They explained things very well.

All reviews
in 13 reviews
"family history"
"combo ticket"
in 3 reviews
"answered all our questions"
"walk around"
in 8 reviews
"great attraction"
"knoebels amusement park"
"amazing experience"
"strip mining"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed September 21, 2018

What a great place for adults and children! An exceptional place to learn about the history of parents and grandparents. Definitely recommend.

Date of experience: April 2018
Reviewed September 5, 2018

We had a great guide both in the mine tour part and the steam train part. Both were very informative regarding they history of coal mining in that area and Pennsylvania. There is a wonderful park across the street to spend the afternoon. We missed the museum as it was not open the day we were there, but hope to get back again soon.

Reviewed September 4, 2018

This place is sitting in a quiet little town called Ashland. It is recommended to take steam train and mine tour combo.

See more reviews
Reviewed August 30, 2018

I visited Pioneer Tunnel Coal Mine & Steam Train during a 5th grade field trip. I'd always wanted to visit again, so this past weekend I did. It was so historically enlightening. There are two parts of the tour: coal mine and/or steam train. I recommend doing both.

I did the steam train first. Please note, if you have severe back problems or get sick easily from bumpy rides, this is NOT the venture for you. The half-mile train ride is very bumpy but worth it. The conductor is very knowledgeable and offers a unique look at mining from above ground. It's also a hint of irony as you look out over the beautiful valley and see wind turbines in the distance.

The coal mine tour was amazing, emotional, damp and historically significant. First, let me say, if you are claustrophobic, afraid of the dark, grossed out by moss and dampness, are wearing flip-flops or similar shoes--this is NOT the venture for you. The trip underground features an inside look at a formerly working coal mine. On the way in, I got emotional realizing that my grandfather worked in a mine. It's not a place I'd want to work. It's damp, its cold, it's dark, and it's scary knowing that you are underground. Once we got to the "end of the line" and did the actual walking tour of the gangways, it was very historically enlightening. Our tour guide was very knowledgeable and there are a lot of opportunities for interesting photos. I recommend close-toed shoes (although I wore walking sandals and had no problems) and a sweater/jacket/hoodie.

It took me less than two hours to do both tours. I went at the end of the day and was able to do both before closing. They also have a nice, affordable gift shop, with some great books on the area. There is also food, a picnic/playground area, and Centralia (another interesting place to visit) right down the road.

Date of experience: August 2018