“Mostly Creative, Tasty and Attractive Dishes”
Review of L’Oca d’Oro

L’Oca d’Oro
Ranked #559 of 4,068 Restaurants in Austin
Reviewed June 3, 2017

We ran the gamut from a very interesting dish and one that was traditional comfort food to duck breast that was almost too tough to eat. I'm giving it a rating of 4 because the highs were really nice and the service was great, although 3.5 would be more accurate. While most of the dishes we tried were tapas sized, some, like the Casarecce, were really filling.

Our favorite dishes were the exceptional house burrata with pickled Jimmy Nardello peppers and a pine nut romesco and a more traditional Casarecce with house made sausage that was comforting and filling. These dishes typified L'oca D'oro at its best, composing several strong flavors and textures into a wonderful whole. The lasagna Bolognese did the same by inserting the strong presence of preserved lemon that enhanced the rest of the dish without any competition. I'd also recommend the ricotta gnocchi pomodoro; its flavors were traditional, but the texture of the gnocchi with a soft outside and a very cheesy inside simply made the dish fun to eat. I also recommend the grilled zucchini without reservation. I can't adequately describe the construction of this architectural dish, but the interest of it is equal to the flavors. The speckled sea trout crudo was the prettiest dish, and the trout and its accompaniments was wonderflul. The roasted carrots with pistachio honey butter were tasty, but the carrot flavor did not shine through. We got this dish because a previous dish here had the flavor of the most marvelous carrots in the world. These carrots came from the same farm, but they were overwhelmed by the other flavors in the dish. And then we come to the duck breast. The breast looked perfectly cooked, but it was way past tough. The fried green tomatoes were OK, but I've had many that were as good or better, so they certainly didn't make up for the bad duck. I mentioned the tough duck to the owner, and he said this was unusual, but I don't know if this was the case.

We will come back; the good points far outweighed the bad. The tip is included in the base price of the dishes, which I like. The service was excellent. This is definitely a restaurant where you want to go with a group so you get to try as many things as possible. Our dinner for 5 people (only one beer as far as drinks go) came to a little over $200.

Reviewed May 30, 2017 via mobile

We've been here multiple times and have always left feeling satisfied with our visit. I saw some of the negative reviews, and need to point out this isn't ghetto Italian food like Olive Garden. The price point is higher, with fresh ingredients crafted into amazing dishes. Last time we went for brunch, and we may have had the best burger of our life. The service is great...the food is great...you get what you pay for (and no, it's not that expensive).

Reviewed April 15, 2017 via mobile

Picked this venue for my wife's birthday dinner. Had pretty much every appetizer. All get a thumbs up rating. Family style sea bass was a big winner. All pasta dishes were great too. Tasty bread. Everyone enjoyed their meal. Wine choices nice, as were the cocktails. Forgot our waiters name, which I regret, as he was really wonderful. Really good meal. Somewhat pricey for the portion size, but go for the tasty food!

Reviewed February 5, 2017 via mobile

One of the other couples suggested we try this new restaurant. I was concerned after reading the other reviews but went anyway. They were dead on. The food is very expensive when you consider the small portions. $14 for three small meatballs or three raviolis is outrageous. You also have to consider that they add on 20% automatically regardless of the service to every check to pay a living wage to their employees. That quickly turns an $80 bottle of wine into $100 bottle of wine. My personal opinion is it's their job to see their employees get a living wage, not mine.

The noise level was also extremely high. Although there were only three couples we literally had to shout across the table to be heard from one corner to another.

If you go, I believe the best value is the pork chop for $34 +20% or the crispy red snapper for about the same price. Both were very good. The red snapper is served whole. No one like the polenta.

3 couples and two bottles of wine with no other drinks $566.

1  Thank Greg W
Reviewed January 31, 2017 via mobile

I'm not sure what all the buzz is about. We shared a charred spinach salad that tasted like lawn clippings, I had a mushroom lasagna that arrived on a small plate with a tiny smear of something green (it looked lonely), my husband had a very salty rendition of carbonara and we shared a dessert. I was drinking water while he had a very short pour of red wine and a TINY, over sweet old fashioned, and our bill was $105. The server was very nice, but I don't see myself hurrying back.

1  Thank margo b